OREMUS: 18 May 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu May 17 18:40:10 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Friday, May 18, 2007

Blessed are you, almighty God,
through Jesus Christ the King of glory.
Born of a woman,
he came to our rescue.
Dying for us,
he trampled death and conquered sin.
By the glory of his resurrection
he opened the way to life eternal
and by his ascension,
gave us the sure hope
that where he is we may also be.

How dear to me is your dwelling, O Lord of hosts!*
 My soul has a desire and longing
   for the courts of the Lord;
   my heart and my flesh rejoice in the living God.
The sparrow has found her a house
   and the swallow a nest
   where she may lay her young;*
 by the side of your altars, O Lord of hosts,
   my King and my God.
Happy are they who dwell in your house!*
 they will always be praising you.
Happy are the people whose strength is in you!*
 whose hearts are set on the pilgrims' way.
Those who go through the desolate valley
   will find it a place of springs,*
 for the early rains have covered it with pools of water.
They will climb from height to height,*
 and the God of gods will reveal himself in Zion.
Lord God of hosts, hear my prayer;*
 hearken, O God of Jacob.
Behold our defender, O God;*
 and look upon the face of your anointed.
For one day in your courts
   is better than a thousand in my own room,*
 and to stand at the threshold of the house of my God
   than to dwell in the tents of the wicked.
For the Lord God is both sun and shield;*
 he will give grace and glory;
No good thing will the Lord withhold*
 from those who walk with integrity.
O Lord of hosts,*
 happy are they who put their trust in you!

 before the gods I will sing your praise.
I will bow down towards your holy temple
   and praise your name,*
 because of your love and faithfulness;
For you have glorified your name*
 and your word above all things.
When I called, you answered me;*
 you increased my strength within me.
All the kings of the earth will praise you, O Lord,*
 when they have heard the words of your mouth.
They will sing of the ways of the Lord,*
 that great is the glory of the Lord.
Though the Lord be high, he cares for the lowly;*
 he perceives the haughty from afar.
Though I walk in the midst of trouble,
   you keep me safe;*
 you stretch forth your hand
   against the fury of my enemies;
   your right hand shall save me.
The Lord will make good his purpose for me;*
 O Lord, your love endures for ever;
   do not abandon the works of your hands.

A Song of Christ's Appearing (1 Timothy 3:16; 6:15-16)
Christ Jesus was revealed in the flesh
and vindicated in the spirit.

He was seen by angels
and proclaimed among the nations.

Believed in throughout the world,
he was taken up in glory.

This will be made manifest at the proper time
by the blessed and only Sovereign,

Who alone has immortality,
and dwells in unapproachable light.

To the King of kings and Lord of lords
be honour and eternal dominion. Amen.

FIRST READING [Exodus 33:12-17]:

Moses said to the Lord, 'See, you have said to me, "Bring
up this people"; but you have not let me know whom you
will send with me. Yet you have said, "I know you by
name, and you have also found favour in my sight." Now if
I have found favour in your sight, show me your ways, so
that I may know you and find favour in your sight.
Consider too that this nation is your people.' He said,
'My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.'
And he said to him, 'If your presence will not go, do not
carry us up from here. For how shall it be known that I
have found favour in your sight, I and your people,
unless you go with us? In this way, we shall be distinct,
I and your people, from every people on the face of the
earth.'
The Lord said to Moses, 'I will do the very thing that
you have asked; for you have found favour in my sight,
and I know you by name.'

HYMN
Words: Edwin Hatch, 1878
Tune: Trentham
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b185.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b
/b185.html

Breathe on me, Breath of God,
fill me with life anew,
that I may love what thou dost love,
and do what thou wouldst do.

Breathe on me, Breath of God,
until my heart is pure,
until my will is one with thine,
to do and to endure.

Breathe on me, Breath of God,
till I am wholly thine,
until this earthly part of me
glows with thy fire divine.

Breathe on me, Breath of God,
so shall I never die;
but live with thee the perfect life
of thine eternity.

SECOND READING [Revelation 22:6-9]:

And he said to me, 'These words are trustworthy and true, for the Lord, the God of
the spirits of the prophets, has sent his angel to show his servants what must soon take
place.'
'See, I am coming soon! Blessed is the one who keeps the words of the prophecy of
this book.'
I, John, am the one who heard and saw these things. And when I heard and saw them,
I fell down to worship at the feet of the angel who showed them to me; but he said to
me, 'You must not do that! I am a fellow-servant with you and your comrades the
prophets, and with those who keep the words of this book. Worship God!'

Come, Holy Spirit, Creator,
and renew the earth.
Come, Holy Spirit, come.

Come, Holy Spirit, Counselor,
and touch our lips that we may proclaim your Word.
Come, Holy Spirit, come.

Come, Holy Spirit, power from on high,
make us channels of peace and ministers of healing.
Come, Holy Spirit, come.

Come, Holy Spirit, Breath of God,
give life to the dry bones around us,
and make us a living people, holy and free.
Come, Holy Spirit, come.

Come, Holy Spirit, Wisdom and Truth,
strengthen us to be bold in faith.
Come, Holy Spirit, come.

God our Creator,
earth has many languages,
but your gospel proclaims your love to all nations
in one heavenly tongue:
Make us messengers of the good news
that, through the power of your Spirit,
all the world may unite in one song of praise;
through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
who lives and reigns with you
in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

God of power,
may the boldness of your Spirit transform us,
may the gentleness of your Spirit lead us,
and may the gifts of your Spirit equip us
to serve and worship you now and always. Amen.

a Eucharistic Prayer in _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993
Westminster / John Knox Press.