OREMUS: 15 May 2007

Steve Benner oremus at insight.rr.com
Tue May 15 13:03:29 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Tuesday, May 15, 2007
Rogation Tuesday

Blessed are you, strong and faithful God.
All your works, the height and the depth,
echo the silent music of your praise.
In the beginning your Word summoned light,
night withdrew, and creation dawned.
As ages passed unseen,
waters gathered on the face of the earth
and life appeared.
When the times at last had ripened
and the earth grown full in abundance,
you created in your image man and woman,
the stewards of all creation.
You gave us breath and speech,
that all the living
might find a voice to sing your praise,
and to celebrate the creation you call good.

  and his mercy endures for ever.
Let all those whom the Lord has redeemed proclaim*
  that he redeemed them from the hand of the foe.
He gathered them out of the lands;*
  from the east and from the west,
    from the north and from the south.
Some wandered in desert wastes;*
  they found no way to a city where they might dwell.
They were hungry and thirsty;*
  their spirits languished within them.
Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,*
  and he delivered them from their distress.
He put their feet on a straight path*
  to go to a city where they might dwell.
Let them give thanks to the Lord for his mercy*
  and the wonders he does for his children.
For he satisfies the thirsty*
  and fills the hungry with good things.
Let them give thanks to the Lord for his mercy*
  and the wonders he does for his children.
Let them offer a sacrifice of thanksgiving*
  and tell of his acts with shouts of joy.
The Lord changed rivers into deserts,*
  and water-springs into thirsty ground,
A fruitful land into salt flats,*
  because of the wickedness of those who dwell there.
He changed deserts into pools of water*
  and dry land into water-springs.
He settled the hungry there,*
  and they founded a city to dwell in.
They sowed fields and planted vineyards,*
  and brought in a fruitful harvest.
He blessed them, so that they increased greatly;*
  he did not let their herds decrease.
Yet when they were diminished and brought low,*
  through stress of adversity and sorrow,
He lifted up the poor out of misery*
  and multiplied their families like flocks of sheep.
He pours contempt on princes*
  and makes them wander in trackless wastes.
The upright will see this and rejoice,*
  but all wickedness will shut its mouth.
Whoever is wise will ponder these things,*
  and consider well the mercies of the Lord.

A Song of Creation II

Bless the Lord all you works of the Lord:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord you heavens:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

O let the earth bless the Lord:
bless the Lord you mountains and hills;

bless the Lord all that grows in the ground:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord you springs:
bless the Lord you seas and rivers;

bless the Lord you whales and all that swim in the waters:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord all birds of the air:
bless the Lord you beasts and cattle;

bless the Lord all people on earth:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

bless the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

FIRST READING [2 Chronicles 15:1-15]:

The spirit of God came upon Azariah son of Oded. He went out to meet Asa
and said to him, 'Hear me, Asa, and all Judah and Benjamin: The Lord is
with you, while you are with him. If you seek him, he will be found by you,
but if you abandon him, he will abandon you. For a long time Israel was
without the true God, and without a teaching priest, and without law; but
when in their distress they turned to the Lord, the God of Israel, and
sought him, he was found by them. In those times it was not safe for anyone
to go or come, for great disturbances afflicted all the inhabitants of the
lands. They were broken in pieces, nation against nation and city against
city, for God troubled them with every sort of distress. But you, take
courage! Do not let your hands be weak, for your work shall be rewarded.'

When Asa heard these words, the prophecy of Azariah son of Oded, he took
courage, and put away the abominable idols from all the land of Judah and
Benjamin and from the towns that he had taken in the hill country of
Ephraim. He repaired the altar of the Lord that was in front of the
vestibule of the house of the Lord. He gathered all Judah and Benjamin, and
those from Ephraim, Manasseh, and Simeon who were residing as aliens with
them, for great numbers had deserted to him from Israel when they saw that
the Lord his God was with him. They were gathered at Jerusalem in the third
month of the fifteenth year of the reign of Asa. They sacrificed to the
Lord on that day, from the booty that they had brought, seven hundred oxen
and seven thousand sheep. They entered into a covenant to seek the Lord,
the God of their ancestors, with all their heart and with all their soul.
Whoever would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, should be put to death,
whether young or old, man or woman. They took an oath to the Lord with a
loud voice, and with shouting, and with trumpets, and with horns. All Judah
rejoiced over the oath; for they had sworn with all their heart, and had
sought him with their whole desire, and he was found by them, and the Lord
gave them rest all around.

HYMN
Words: attributed to Ambrose of Milan, fourth century;
trans. John Ellerton and Fenton John Anthony Hort, 1870
Tune: Strength and Stay

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o /o605.html

O Strength and Stay upholding all creation,
who ever dost thyself unmoved abide;
yet day by day the light in due gradation
from hour to hour through all its changes guide.

Grant to life's day a calm unclouded ending,
An eve untouched by shadows of decay,
the brightness of a holy deathbed blending
With dawning glories of the eternal day.

Hear us, O Father, gracious and forgiving,
through Jesus Christ thy co-eternal Word,
who, with the Holy Ghost, by all things living
Now and to endless ages art adored.

SECOND READING [Revelation 21:15-22]:

The angel who talked to me had a measuring rod of gold to measure the city
and its gates and walls. The city lies foursquare, its length the same as
its width; and he measured the city with his rod, fifteen hundred miles;
its length and width and height are equal. He also measured its wall, one
hundred and forty-four cubits by human measurement, which the angel was
using. The wall is built of jasper, while the city is pure gold, clear as
glass. The foundations of the wall of the city are adorned with every
jewel; the first was jasper, the second sapphire, the third agate, the
fourth emerald, the fifth onyx, the sixth cornelian, the seventh
chrysolite, the eighth beryl, the ninth topaz, the tenth chrysoprase, the
eleventh jacinth, the twelfth amethyst. And the twelve gates are twelve
pearls, each of the gates is a single pearl, and the street of the city is
pure gold, transparent as glass.

I saw no temple in the city, for its temple is the Lord God the Almighty
and the Lamb.

The Benedictus (Morning), the Magnificat (Evening), or Nunc dimittis
(Night) may follow.

Prayer:
Accept, O Lord, our thanks and praise
for all that you have done for us.

For the splendor of the whole creation,
for the beauty of this world, for the wonder of life,
and for the mystery of love.
We thank you, Lord.

For the blessing of family and friends,
and for the loving care which surrounds us on every side.
We thank you, Lord.

For setting us at tasks which demand our best efforts,
and for leading us to accomplishments which satisfy and delight us.
We thank you, Lord.

For those disappointments and failures
that lead us to acknowledge our dependence on you alone.
We thank you, Lord.

For your Son Jesus Christ;
for the truth of his Word and the example of his life;
for his steadfast obedience, by which he overcame temptation;
for his dying, through which he overcame death;
and for his rising to life again,
in which we are raised to the life of your kingdom.
We thank you, Lord.

For the gift of your Spirit,
that we may know him and make him known;
and through him, at all times and in all places,
may give thanks to you in all things. Amen.

Almighty God,
whose Son Jesus Christ in his earthly life
shared our toil and hallowed our labor:
Be present with your people where they work;
make those who carry on
the industries and commerce of this land
responsive to your will;
and give to us all a pride in what we do,
and a just return for our labor;
through Jesus Christ our Lord,
who lives and reigns with you,

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

Come, Lord Jesus, in glory
that at last all peoples will be free,
all divisions healed,
and your whole creation will sing your praise. Amen.

The psalms and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from Celebrating
Common Prayer (Mowbray), © The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is used
with permission.

The canticle is from Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition,
copyright © The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Edition), copyright © 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian Education of
the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by
permission. All rights reserved.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing sentence are adapted
from a Eucharistic Prayer in Book of Common Worship, © 1993 Westminster /
John Knox Press.