OREMUS: 14 May 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun May 13 20:43:48 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Monday, May 14, 2006
Saint Matthias the Apostle

Blessed are you, almighty God,
for your Son, our Lord Jesus Christ,
who established the Church
upon the foundation of the apostles,
through whom we have received the Good News
and come to know the mystery of salvation.

Hear, O Shepherd of Israel, leading Joseph like a flock;*
 shine forth, you that are enthroned upon the cherubim.
In the presence of Ephraim, Benjamin and Manasseh,*
 stir up your strength and come to help us.
Restore us, O God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.
O Lord God of hosts,*
 how long will you be angered
   despite the prayers of your people?
You have fed them with the bread of tears;*
 you have given them bowls of tears to drink.
You have made us the derision of our neighbours,*
 and our enemies laugh us to scorn.
Restore us, O God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.
You have brought a vine out of Egypt;*
 you cast out the nations and planted it.
You prepared the ground for it;*
 it took root and filled the land.
The mountains were covered by its shadow*
 and the towering cedar trees by its boughs.
You stretched out its tendrils to the Sea*
 and its branches to the River.
Why have you broken down its wall,*
 so that all who pass by pluck off its grapes?
The wild boar of the forest has ravaged it,*
 and the beasts of the field have grazed upon it.
Turn now, O God of hosts, look down from heaven;
   behold and tend this vine;*
 preserve what your right hand has planted.
They burn it with fire like rubbish;*
 at the rebuke of your countenance let them perish.
Let your hand be upon the man of your right hand,*
 the son of man you have made so strong for yourself.
And so will we never turn away from you;*
 give us life, that we may call upon your name.
Restore us, O Lord God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.

A Song of Christ's Appearing (1 Timothy 3:16; 6:15-16)
Christ Jesus was revealed in the flesh
and vindicated in the spirit.

He was seen by angels
and proclaimed among the nations.

Believed in throughout the world,
he was taken up in glory.

This will be made manifest at the proper time
by the blessed and only Sovereign,

Who alone has immortality,
and dwells in unapproachable light.

To the King of kings and Lord of lords
be honour and eternal dominion. Amen.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Isaiah 22:15-end]:

Thus says the Lord God of hosts: Come, go to this steward, to Shebna, who is master of the
household, and say to him: What right do you have here? Who are your relatives here, that you
have cut out a tomb here for yourself, cutting a tomb on the height, and carving a habitation for
yourself in the rock? The Lord is about to hurl you away violently, my man. He will seize firm
hold of you, whirl you round and round, and throw you like a ball into a wide land; there you shall
die, and there your splendid chariots shall lie, O you disgrace to your master's house! I will thrust
you from your office, and you will be pulled down from your post.
On that day I will call my servant Eliakim son of Hilkiah, and will clothe him with your robe and
bind your sash on him. I will commit your authority to his hand, and he shall be a father to the
inhabitants of Jerusalem and to the house of Judah. I will place on his shoulder the key of the
house of David; he shall open, and no one shall shut; he shall shut, and no one shall open. I will
fasten him like a peg in a secure place, and he will become a throne of honour to his ancestral
house. And they will hang on him the whole weight of his ancestral house, the offspring and issue,
every small vessel, from the cups to all the flagons. On that day, says the Lord of hosts, the peg
that was fastened in a secure place will give way; it will be cut down and fall, and the load that
was on it will perish, for the Lord has spoken.

HYMN
Words: John Ellerton, 1875
Tune: Alleluia, dulce carmen
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t632.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t632.html

Thou who sentest thine apostles
two and two before thy face,
partners in the night of toiling,
heirs together of thy grace,
throned at length, their labors ended,
each in his appointed place;

Praise to thee for thy champions
whom our hymns today proclaim:
one, whose zeal by thee enlightened
burned anew with nobler flame;
one, the kinsman of thy childhood,
brought at last to know thy Name.

Praise to thee! thy fire within them
spake in love and wrought in power:
seen in mighty signs and wonders
in thy Church's morning hour;
heard in tones of sternest warning
when the storms began to lower.

God the Father, great and wondrous
in thy works, to thee be praise;
King of saints, to thee be glory,
just and true in all thy ways;
praise to thee, from Both proceeding,
Holy Ghost, through endless days.
SECOND READING [Acts 1:15-end]:

In those days Peter stood up among the believers
(together the crowd numbered about one hundred and twenty
people) and said, 'Friends, the scripture had to be
fulfilled, which the Holy Spirit through David foretold
concerning Judas, who became a guide for those who
arrested Jesus  for he was numbered among us and was
allotted his share in this ministry.' (Now this man
acquired a field with the reward of his wickedness; and
falling headlong,  he burst open in the middle and all
his bowels gushed out. This became known to all the
residents of Jerusalem, so that the field was called in
their language Hakeldama, that is, Field of Blood.) 'For
it is written in the book of Psalms,
"Let his homestead become desolate,
   and let there be no one to live in it";
and
"Let another take his position of overseer."
So one of the men who have accompanied us throughout the
time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us,
beginning from the baptism of John until the day when he
was taken up from us one of these must become a witness
with us to his resurrection.' So they proposed two,
Joseph called Barsabbas, who was also known as Justus,
and Matthias. Then they prayed and said, 'Lord, you know
everyone's heart. Show us which one of these two you have
chosen to take the place in this ministry and apostleship
from which Judas turned aside to go to his own place.'
And they cast lots for them, and the lot fell on
Matthias; and he was added to the eleven apostles.

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
Let us pray to God,
whose word was entrusted to the Apostles
and has spread to all the world.

Empower your Church
to proclaim the saving message of Jesus Christ.
Lord of mercy,
spread your word.

Give us courage and strength
to spread the Gospel in places
where it has not been preached.
Lord of mercy,
spread your word.

Bless us in our personal lives
that we may live fully according to Jesus' example.
Lord of mercy,
spread your word.

Open our eyes to your Word in the Holy Scriptures
that we find new paths of understanding.
Lord of mercy,
spread your word.

Remember, in your mercy, those who have gone before
marked with the sign of faith and led by the Gospel.
Lord of mercy,
spread your word.

Almighty God,
who in the place of Judas chose your faithful servant Matthias
to be numbered among the Twelve:
Grant that your Church, being delivered from false apostles,
may always be guided and governed by faithful and true pastors;
through Jesus Christ our Lord,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,<BR

Rejoicing in God's new creation,

God of power,
may the boldness of your Spirit transform us,
may the gentleness of your Spirit lead us,
and may the gifts of your Spirit equip us
to serve and worship you now and always. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving (adapted) and the canticle are from
_Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition_, copyright
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is (c) 2001, Stephen Benner.

The intercession is by Stephen T. Benner and is based loosely on a prayer by
Raymond Chapman in _Leading Intercessions_, (c) 2000,
Canterbury Press.

of The Episcopal Church_.

The closing sentence are from in _New Patterns for Worship_,

After the Ascension of Our Lord, His followers at Jerusalem chose a
replacement for Judas. The man chosen was Matthias, "and he was numbered
with the Eleven." Apart from the information given in the first chapter of Acts,
nothing is known of him. It would be a mistake to conclude from this that he
was a failure and a bad choice as an apostle. We know as much as we do about
Peter and Paul because Luke (a travelling companion of Paul) wrote
extensively about them. About most of the other apostles (those belonging to
the original twelve and later ones like Matthias) we know little after Pentecost
on an individual basis. Oremus observes this feast on 14 May, following the
reforms to the calendar made in many provinces and the Catholic Church.