OREMUS: 13 May 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat May 12 18:38:51 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Sunday, May 13, 2007
The Sixth Sunday of Easter

Blessed are you, strong and faithful God.
All your works, the height and the depth,
echo the silent music of your praise.
In the beginning your Word summoned light,
night withdrew, and creation dawned.
As ages passed unseen,
waters gathered on the face of the earth
and life appeared.
When the times at last had ripened
and the earth grown full in abundance,
you created in your image man and woman,
the stewards of all creation.
You gave us breath and speech,
that all the living
might find a voice to sing your praise,
and to celebrate the creation you call good.

Why are the nations in an uproar?*
 Why do the peoples mutter empty threats?
Why do the kings of the earth rise up in revolt
   and the princes plot together,*
 against the Lord and against his anointed?
'Let us break their yoke', they say;*
 'let us cast off their bonds from us.'
He whose throne is in heaven is laughing;*
 the Lord has them in derision.
Then he speaks to them in his wrath*
 and his rage fills them with terror.
'I myself have set my king*
 upon my holy hill of Zion.'
Let me announce the decree of the Lord:*
 he said to me, 'You are my Son;
   this day have I begotten you.
'Ask of me and I will give you the nations for
   your inheritance*
 and the ends of the earth for your possession.
'You shall crush them with an iron rod*
 and shatter them like a piece of pottery.'
And now, you kings, be wise;*
 be warned, you rulers of the earth.
Submit to the Lord with fear,*
 and with trembling bow before him;
Lest he be angry and you perish;*
 for his wrath is quickly kindled.
Happy are they all*
 who take refuge in him!

Psalm 99

The Lord is king; let the people tremble;*
 he is enthroned upon the cherubim; let the earth shake.
The Lord is great in Zion;*
 he is high above all peoples.
Let them confess his name, which is great and awesome;*
 he is the Holy One.
'O mighty King, lover of justice,
   you have established equity;*
 you have executed justice and righteousness in Jacob.'
Proclaim the greatness of the Lord our God
   and fall down before his footstool;*
 he is the Holy One.
Moses and Aaron among his priests,
   and Samuel among those who call upon his name,*
 they called upon the Lord and he answered them.
He spoke to them out of the pillar of cloud;*
 they kept his testimonies
   and the decree that he gave them.
'O Lord our God, you answered them indeed;*
 you were a God who forgave them,
   yet punished them for their evil deeds.'
Proclaim the greatness of the Lord our God
   and worship him upon his holy hill;*
 for the Lord our God is the Holy One.

Benedicite: A Song of Creation

Bless the Lord all you works of the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord you heavens:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord you angels of the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord all people on earth:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

O people of God bless the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord you priests of the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord you servants of the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord all you of upright spirit:
 bless the Lord you that are holy and humble in heart;

Bless the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [1 Chronicles 12:16-22]:

Some Benjaminites and Judahites came to the stronghold to
David. David went out to meet them and said to them, 'If
you have come to me in friendship, to help me, then my
heart will be bound to you; but if you have come to
betray me to my adversaries, though my hands have done no
wrong, then may the God of our ancestors see and give
judgement.' Then the spirit came upon Amasai, chief of
the Thirty, and he said,

'We are yours, O David;
   and with you, O son of Jesse!
Peace, peace to you,
   and peace to the one who helps you!
   For your God is the one who helps you.'

Then David received them, and made them officers of his
troops.

Some of the Manassites deserted to David when he came
with the Philistines for the battle against Saul. (Yet he
did not help them, for the rulers of the Philistines took
counsel and sent him away, saying, 'He will desert to his
master Saul at the cost of our heads.') As he went to
Ziklag these Manassites deserted to him: Adnah, Jozabad,
Jediael, Michael, Jozabad, Elihu, and Zillethai, chiefs
of the thousands in Manasseh. They helped David against
the band of raiders, for they were all warriors and
commanders in the army. Indeed from day to day people
kept coming to David to help him, until there was a great
army, like an army of God.

HYMN
Words: Joseph Addison, 1712
Tune: Creation, London (Addison's)
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t352.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t
352.html

The spacious firmament on high,
with all the blue ethereal sky,
and spangled heavens, a shining frame,
their great Original proclaim.
The unwearied sun from day to day
does his Creator's power display;
and publishes to every land
the work of an almighty hand.

Soon as the evening shades prevail,
the moon takes up the wondrous tale,
and nightly to the listening earth
repeats the story of her birth:
whilst all the stars that round her burn,
and all the planets in their turn,
confirm the tidings, as they roll
and spread the truth from pole to pole.

What though in solemn silence all
move round the dark terrestrial ball?
What though no real voice nor sound
amid their radiant orbs be found?
In reason's ear they all rejoice,
and utter forth a glorious voice;
for ever singing as they shine,
"The hand that made us is divine."

SECOND READING [Revelation 21:5-14]:

And the one who was seated on the throne said, 'See, I am making all things new.'
Also he said, 'Write this, for these words are trustworthy and true.' Then he said to
me, 'It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the
thirsty I will give water as a gift from the spring of the water of life. Those who
conquer will inherit these things, and I will be their God and they will be my children.
But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the polluted, the murderers, the fornicators, the
sorcerers, the idolaters, and all liars, their place will be in the lake that burns with fire
and sulphur, which is the second death.'
Then one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls full of the seven last plagues
came and said to me, 'Come, I will show you the bride, the wife of the Lamb.' And in
the spirit he carried me away to a great, high mountain and showed me the holy city
Jerusalem coming down out of heaven from God. It has the glory of God and a
radiance like a very rare jewel, like jasper, clear as crystal. It has a great, high wall
with twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and on the gates are inscribed the
names of the twelve tribes of the Israelites; on the east three gates, on the north three
gates, on the south three gates, and on the west three gates. And the wall of the city
has twelve foundations, and on them are the twelve names of the twelve apostles of
the Lamb.

God the Father,
have mercy upon us.

God the Son,
have mercy upon us.

God the Holy Spirit,
have mercy upon us.

Holy, blessed and glorious Trinity,
have mercy upon us.

>From all evil and mischief;
from pride, vanity and hypocrisy;
from envy, hatred and malice;
and from all evil intent,
good Lord, deliver us.

>From sloth, worldliness and love of money;
from hardness of heart
and contempt for your word and your laws,
good Lord, deliver us.

>From sins of body and mind;
from the deceits of the world, the flesh and the devil,
good Lord, deliver us.

>From famine and disaster;
from violence, murder and dying unprepared,
good Lord, deliver us.

In all times of sorrow;
in all times of joy;
in the hour of death,
and at the day of judgement,
good Lord, deliver us.

By the mystery of your holy incarnation;
by your birth, childhood and obedience;
by your baptism, fasting and temptation,
good Lord, deliver us.

By your ministry in word and work;
by your mighty acts of power;
and by your preaching of the kingdom,
good Lord, deliver us.

By your agony and trial;
by your cross and passion;
and by your precious death and burial,
good Lord, deliver us.

By your mighty resurrection;
by your glorious ascension;
and by your sending of the Holy Spirit,
good Lord, deliver us.

Hear our prayers, O Lord our God.
Hear us, good Lord.

Govern and direct your holy Church;
fill it with love and truth;
and grant it that unity which is your will.
Hear us, good Lord.

Give us boldness to preach the gospel in all the world,
and to make disciples of all the nations.
Hear us, good Lord.

Enlighten N our Bishop and all who minister
with knowledge and understanding,
that by their teaching and their lives they may proclaim your word.
Hear us, good Lord.

Give your people grace to hear and receive your word,
and to bring forth the fruit of the Spirit.
Hear us, good Lord.

Bring into the way of truth all who have erred
and are deceived.
Hear us, good Lord.

Strengthen those who stand;
comfort and help the faint-hearted;
raise up the fallen;
and finally beat down Satan under our feet.
Hear us, good Lord.

Guide the leaders of the nations
into the ways of peace and justice.
Hear us, good Lord.

Endue our leaders with wisdom and understanding.
that they may uphold justice, honesty and truth.
Hear us, good Lord.

Give us the will to use the resources of the earth to your glory,
and for the good of all creation.
Hear us, good Lord.

Bless and keep all your people.
Hear us, good Lord.

Bring your joy into all families;
strengthen and deliver those in childbirth,
watch over children and guide the young,
bring reconciliation to those in discord
and peace to those in stress.
Hear us, good Lord.

Help and comfort the lonely, the bereaved and the oppressed.
Hear us, good Lord.

Keep in safety those who travel, and all who are in danger.
Hear us, good Lord.

Heal the sick in body and mind,
and provide for the homeless, the hungry and the destitute.
Hear us, good Lord.

Show your pity on prisoners and refugees,
and all who are in trouble.
Hear us, good Lord.

Forgive our enemies, persecutors and slanderers,
and turn their hearts.
Hear us, good Lord.

Hear us as we remember those who have died in the peace of Christ,
both those who have confessed the faith
and those whose faith is known to you alone,
and grant us with them a share in your eternal kingdom.
Hear us, good Lord.

Give us true repentance;
forgive us our sins of negligence and ignorance
and our deliberate sins;
and grant us the grace of your Holy Spirit
to amend our lives according to your holy word.
Holy God,
Holy and Mighty,
Holy Immortal One,
have mercy upon us.

O God,
you have prepared for those who love you
such good things as surpass our understanding:
Pour into our hearts such love towards you,
that we, loving you in all things and above all things,
may obtain your promises,
which exceed all that we can desire;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

Come, Lord Jesus, in glory
that at last all peoples will be free,
all divisions healed,
and your whole creation will sing your praise. Amen.

a Eucharistic Prayer in _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993
Westminster / John Knox Press.