OREMUS: 12 May 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri May 11 19:47:43 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Saturday, May 12, 2007
Florence Nightingale, Nurse, Social Reformer, 1910

Blessed are you, almighty God,
for you have raised from the dead
your Son, our Lord Jesus Christ.
You are the ineffable sea of love,
the fountain of blessings,
and you water us with plenteous streams
from the riches of your grace
and the most sweet springs of your kindness.

My heart is stirring with a noble song;
   let me recite what I have fashioned for the king;*
 my tongue shall be the pen of a skilled writer.
You are the fairest of men;*
 grace flows from your lips,
   because God has blessed you for ever.
Strap your sword upon your thigh, O mighty warrior,*
 in your pride and in your majesty.
Ride out and conquer in the cause of truth*
 and for the sake of justice.
Your right hand will show you marvellous things;*
 your arrows are very sharp, O mighty warrior.
The peoples are falling at your feet,*
 and the king's enemies are losing heart.
Your throne, O God, endures for ever and ever,*
 a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of your kingdom;
   you love righteousness and hate iniquity;
Therefore God, your God, has anointed you*
 with the oil of gladness above your fellows.
All your garments are fragrant with myrrh, aloes and cassia,*
 and the music of strings from ivory palaces makes you glad.
Kings' daughters stand among the ladies of the court;*
 on your right hand is the queen,
   adorned with the gold of Ophir.
'Hear, O daughter; consider and listen closely;*
 forget your people and your family's house.
'The king will have pleasure in your beauty;*
 he is your master; therefore do him honour.
'The people of Tyre are here with a gift;*
 the rich among the people seek your favour.'
All glorious is the princess as she enters;*
 her gown is cloth-of-gold.
In embroidered apparel she is brought to the king;*
 after her the bridesmaids follow in procession.
With joy and gladness they are brought,*
 and enter into the palace of the king.
'In place of fathers, O king, you shall have sons;*
 you shall make them princes over all the earth.
'I will make your name to be remembered
   from one generation to another;*
 therefore nations will praise you for ever and ever.'

A Song of Ezekiel (Ezekiel 36:24-26,28b)

I will take you from the nations,
and gather you from all the countries.

I will sprinkle clean water upon you,
and you shall be clean from all your impurities.

A new heart I will give you,
and put a new spirit within you,

And I will remove from your body the heart of stone
and give you a heart of flesh.

You shall be my people,
and I will be your God.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Proverbs 2:9-15]:

Then you will understand righteousness and justice
   and equity, every good path;
for wisdom will come into your heart,
   and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul;
prudence will watch over you;
   and understanding will guard you.
It will save you from the way of evil,
   from those who speak perversely,
who forsake the paths of uprightness
   to walk in the ways of darkness,
who rejoice in doing evil
   and delight in the perverseness of evil;
those whose paths are crooked,
   and who are devious in their ways.

HYMN
Words: Isaac Watts (1674-1748), 1688
Tune: St. Fulbert
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b064d.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/
b/b064d.html

Behold the glories of the Lamb
amidst his Father's throne.
Prepare new honors for his Name,
and songs before unknown.

Let elders worship at his feet,
the Church adore around,
with vials full of odors sweet,
and harps of sweeter sound.

Those are the prayers of the saints,
and these the hymns they raise;
Jesus is kind to our complaints,
he loves to hear our praise.

Eternal Father, who shall look
into thy secret will?
Who but the Son should take that book
and open every seal?

He shall fulfill thy great decrees,
the Son deserves it well;
Lo, in his hand the sovereign keys
of heaven, and death, and hell!

Now to the Lamb that once was slain
be endless blessings paid;
salvation, glory, joy remain
forever on thy head.

Thou hast redeemed our souls with blood,
hast set the prisoner free;
hast made us kings and priests to God,
and we shall reign with thee.

The worlds of nature and of grace
are put beneath thy power;
then shorten these delaying days,
and bring the promised hour.

SECOND READING [Luke 19:1-10]:

Jesus entered Jericho and was passing through it. A man was there named Zacchaeus;
he was a chief tax-collector and was rich. He was trying to see who Jesus was, but on
account of the crowd he could not, because he was short in stature. So he ran ahead
and climbed a sycomore tree to see him, because he was going to pass that way. When
Jesus came to the place, he looked up and said to him, 'Zacchaeus, hurry and come
down; for I must stay at your house today.' So he hurried down and was happy to
welcome him. All who saw it began to grumble and said, 'He has gone to be the guest
of one who is a sinner.' Zacchaeus stood there and said to the Lord, 'Look, half of my
possessions, Lord, I will give to the poor; and if I have defrauded anyone of anything,
I will pay back four times as much.' Then Jesus said to him, 'Today salvation has
come to this house, because he too is a son of Abraham. For the Son of Man came to
seek out and to save the lost.'

Great and wonderful God, we praise and thank you for the
gift of renewal in Jesus Christ. Especially we thank you
for
     opportunities for rest and recreation...
                         (We thank you, Lord.)
     the regenerating gifts of the Holy Spirit...
     activities shared by young and old...
     fun and laughter...
     every service that proclaims your love...

You make all things new, O God, and we offer our prayers
for the renewal of the whole world and the healing of its
wounds. Especially we pray for
     those who have no leisure...
                         (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     people enslaved by addictions...
     those who entertain and enlighten...
     those confronted with temptation...
     the church in North America...
     the Diocese of Colombo, Ceylon, The Rt Revd Duleep de Chickera,
Bishop...

Lord our God,
enthroned in majesty,
inspire the praises of your people,
that our worship will be one
with the marriage feast in heaven,
and your bride united with your anointed Son,
Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Life-giving God,
you alone have power over life and death,
over health and sickness.
Give power, wisdom and gentleness
to those who follow the lead of Florence Nightingale,
that they, bearing with them your presence,
may not only heal but bless,
and shine as lanterns of hope
in the darkest hours of pain and fear;
through Jesus Christ, the healer of body and soul,

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

Increase our love for one another,
that both in name and in truth
we may be disciples of the risen Lord Jesus,
and so reflect by our lives
the glory that is yours. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen T. Benner, 2001, and is
based on phrases from a Syrian Clementine liturgy, found in _Chalice
Worship_, (c) Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.

The closing sentence is from a prayer in _Opening Prayers: Collects in