OREMUS: 10 May 2007

Steve Benner oremus at insight.rr.com
Thu May 10 15:14:35 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Thursday, May 10, 2007

Blessed are you, almighty God,
for you have raised from the dead
your Son, our Lord Jesus Christ.
You are the ineffable sea of love,
the fountain of blessings,
and you water us with plenteous streams
from the riches of your grace
and the most sweet springs of your kindness.

  for his mercy endures for ever.
Give thanks to the God of gods,*
  for his mercy endures for ever.
Give thanks to the Lord of lords,*
  for his mercy endures for ever.
Who only does great wonders,*
  for his mercy endures for ever;
Who by his wisdom made the heavens,*
  for his mercy endures for ever;
Who spread out the earth upon the waters,*
  for his mercy endures for ever;
Who created great lights,*
  for his mercy endures for ever;
The sun to rule the day,*
  for his mercy endures for ever;
The moon and the stars to govern the night,*
  for his mercy endures for ever.
Who struck down the first-born of Egypt,*
  for his mercy endures for ever;
And brought out Israel from among them,*
  for his mercy endures for ever;
With a mighty hand and a stretched-out arm,*
  for his mercy endures for ever;
Who divided the Red Sea in two,*
  for his mercy endures for ever;
And made Israel to pass through the midst of it,*
  for his mercy endures for ever;
But swept Pharaoh and his army into the Red Sea,*
  for his mercy endures for ever;
Who led his people through the wilderness,*
  for his mercy endures for ever.
Who struck down great kings,*
  for his mercy endures for ever;
And slew mighty kings,*
  for his mercy endures for ever;
Sihon, king of the Amorites,*
  for his mercy endures for ever;
And Og, the king of Bashan,*
  for his mercy endures for ever;
And gave away their lands for an inheritance,*
  for his mercy endures for ever;
An inheritance for Israel his servant,*
  for his mercy endures for ever.
Who remembered us in our low estate,*
  for his mercy endures for ever;
And delivered us from our enemies,*
  for his mercy endures for ever;
Who gives food to all creatures,*
  for his mercy endures for ever;
Give thanks to the God of heaven,*
  for his mercy endures for ever.

A Song of the Redeemed (Revelation 7. 9-10,14b-17)

Behold, a great multitude
  which no one could number,

 From every nation,
from all tribes and peoples and tongues,
  standing before the throne and the Lamb.

They were clothed in white robes
  and had palms in their hands,
  and they cried with a loud voice, saying,

'Salvation belongs to our God
  who sits on the throne,
  and to the Lamb.'

These are they
who have come out of the great tribulation,
  they have washed their robes
  and made them white in the blood of the Lamb;

Therefore they stand before the throne of God,
  whom they serve day and night within the temple.

And the One who sits upon the throne
  will shelter them with his presence.

They shall never again feel hunger or thirst,
  the sun shall not strike them,
  nor any scorching heat.

For the Lamb at the heart of the throne
  will be their Shepherd,

He will guide them to springs of living water,
  and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.

  for ever and ever. Amen.

  you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [Proverbs 2:1-5]:

My child, if you accept my words
and treasure up my commandments within you,
making your ear attentive to wisdom
and inclining your heart to understanding;
if you indeed cry out for insight,
and raise your voice for understanding;
if you seek it like silver,
and search for it as for hidden treasures
then you will understand the fear of the Lord
and find the knowledge of God.

HYMN
Words: Fred Pratt Green ©
Tune: Ar hyd y nos

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/f/f 211.html

For the fruit of all creation,
thanks be to God.
gifts bestowed on every nation,
thanks be to God.
For the plowing, sowing, reaping,
silent growth while we are sleeping,
future needs in earth's safekeeping,
thanks be to God.

In the just reward of labor,
God's will is done.
In the help we give our neighbor,
God's will is done.
In our worldwide task of caring
for the hungry and despairing,
in the harvests we are sharing,
God's will is done.

For the harvests of the Spirit,
thanks be to God.
For the good we all inherit,
thanks be to God.
For the wonders that astound us,
for the truths that still confound us,
most of all that love has found us,
thanks be to God.

SECOND READING [Acts 15:36-41]:

After some days Paul said to Barnabas, 'Come, let us return and visit the
believers in every city where we proclaimed the word of the Lord and see
how they are doing.' Barnabas wanted to take with them John called Mark.
But Paul decided not to take with them one who had deserted them in
Pamphylia and had not accompanied them in the work. The disagreement became
so sharp that they parted company; Barnabas took Mark with him and sailed
away to Cyprus. But Paul chose Silas and set out, the believers commending
him to the grace of the Lord. He went through Syria and Cilicia,
strengthening the churches.

The Benedictus (Morning), the Magnificat (Evening), or Nunc dimittis
(Night) may follow.

Prayer:
Loving God, as the rising sun chases away the night, so you have scattered
the power of death in the rising of Jesus Christ, and you bring us all
blessings in him. Especially we thank you for

     the community of faith in our church...
     (We thank you, Lord.)
     those with whom we work or share common concerns...
     the diversity of your children...
     indications of your love at work in the world...
     those who work for reconciliation...

Mighty God, with the dawn of your love you reveal your victory over all
that would destroy or harm, and you brighten the lives of all who need you.
Especially we pray for

     families suffering separation...
     (Lord, hear our prayer)
     people different from ourselves...
     those isolated by sickness or sorrow...
     the victims of violence or warfare...
     the church in the Pacific region...

We behold your glory, O God,
in the love shown by your Son,
lifted up on the cross and exalted on high:
Be glorified anew in the love we have for one another
as disciples of the risen Lord Jesus,
who lives and reigns with you,
in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, forever and ever. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

Increase our love for one another,
that both in name and in truth
we may be disciples of the risen Lord Jesus,
and so reflect by our lives
the glory that is yours. Amen.

The psalms and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from Celebrating
Common Prayer (Mowbray), © The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is used
with permission.

The canticle is from Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition,
copyright © The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Edition), copyright © 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian Education of
the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by
permission. All rights reserved.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen T. Benner, 2001, and is
based on phrases from a Syrian Clementine liturgy, found in Chalice
Worship, © Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.

The closing sentence is from a prayer in Opening Prayers: Collects in
Contemporary Language. Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.