OREMUS: 9 May 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue May 8 20:48:24 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Blessed are you, almighty God,
for you have raised from the dead
your Son, our Lord Jesus Christ.
You are the ineffable sea of love,
the fountain of blessings,
and you water us with plenteous streams
from the riches of your grace
and the most sweet springs of your kindness.

Bless the Lord, O my soul,*
 and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
Bless the Lord, O my soul,*
 and forget not all his benefits.
He forgives all your sins*
 and heals all your infirmities;
He redeems your life from the grave*
 and crowns you with mercy and loving-kindness;
He satisfies you with good things,*
 and your youth is renewed like an eagle's.
The Lord executes righteousness*
 and judgement for all who are oppressed.
He made his ways known to Moses*
 and his works to the children of Israel.
The Lord is full of compassion and mercy,*
 slow to anger and of great kindness.
He will not always accuse us,*
 nor will he keep his anger for ever.
He has not dealt with us according to our sins,*
 nor rewarded us according to our wickedness.
For as the heavens are high above the earth,*
 so is his mercy great upon those who fear him.
As far as the east is from the west,*
 so far has he removed our sins from us.
As a father cares for his children,*
 so does the Lord care for those who fear him.
For he himself knows whereof we are made;*
 he remembers that we are but dust.
Our days are like the grass;*
 we flourish like a flower of the field;
When the wind goes over it, it is gone,*
 and its place shall know it no more.
But the merciful goodness of the Lord
   endures for ever on those who fear him,*
 and his righteousness on children's children;
On those who keep his covenant*
 and remember his commandments and do them.
The Lord has set his throne in heaven,*
 and his kingship has dominion over all.
Bless the Lord, you angels of his,
   you mighty ones who do his bidding,*
 and hearken to the voice of his word.
Bless the Lord, all you his hosts,*
 you ministers of his who do his will.
Bless the Lord, all you works of his,
   in all places of his dominion;*
 bless the Lord, O my soul.

A Song of Faith (1 Peter 1.3-4,18-21)

Blessed be the God and Father
of our Lord Jesus Christ!

By his great mercy we have been born anew to a living hope
through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.

Into an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled and unfading,
kept in heaven for you.

Who are being protected by the power of God
through faith for a salvation,
ready to be revealed in the last time.

You were ransomed from the futile ways of your ancestors
not with perishable things like silver or gold

But with the precious blood of Christ
like that of a lamb without spot or stain.

Through him you have confidence in God,
who raised him from the dead and gave him glory,
so that your faith and hope are set on God.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [Leviticus 19:9-18]:

When you reap the harvest of your land, you shall not
reap to the very edges of your field, or gather the
gleanings of your harvest. You shall not strip your
vineyard bare, or gather the fallen grapes of your
vineyard; you shall leave them for the poor and the
alien: I am the Lord your God.
You shall not steal; you shall not deal falsely; and you
shall not lie to one another. And you shall not swear
falsely by my name, profaning the name of your God: I am
the Lord.
You shall not defraud your neighbour; you shall not
steal; and you shall not keep for yourself the wages of a
labourer until morning. You shall not revile the deaf or
put a stumbling-block before the blind; you shall fear
your God: I am the Lord.
You shall not render an unjust judgement; you shall not
be partial to the poor or defer to the great: with
justice you shall judge your neighbour. You shall not go
around as a slanderer among your people, and you shall
not profit by the blood of your neighbour: I am the
Lord.
You shall not hate in your heart anyone of your kin; you
shall reprove your neighbour, or you will incur guilt
yourself. You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge
against any of your people, but you shall love your
neighbour as yourself: I am the Lord.

HYMN
Words: Henry Scott Holland, 1902, alt.
Tune: St. Leonard, Rhuddlan
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/j/j254.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/j/j
254.html

Judge eternal, throned in splendor,
Lord of lords and King of kings,
with thy living fire of judgment
purge this land of bitter things;
solace all its wide dominion
with the healing of thy wings.

Still the weary folk are pining
for the hour that brings release,
and the city's crowded clangor
cries aloud for sin to cease;
and the homesteads and the woodlands
plead in silence for their peace.

Crown, O God, thine own endeavor;
cleave our darkness with thy sword;
feed all those who do not know thee
with the richness of thy word;
cleanse the body of this nation
through the glory of the Lord.

SECOND READING [Luke 10:25-28]:

Just then a lawyer stood up to test Jesus. 'Teacher,' he said, 'what must I do to inherit
eternal life?' He said to him, 'What is written in the law? What do you read there?' He
answered, 'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your
soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbour as
yourself.' And he said to him, 'You have given the right answer; do this, and you will
live.'

God of all mercies, we praise you that you have brought
us to this day, brightening our lives with the dawn
of promise and hope in Jesus Christ. Especially we thank
you for
     the warmth of sunlight, the wetness of rain and
     snow, and all that nourishes the earth...
                           (We thank you, Lord.)
     the presence and power of your Spirit...
     the support and encouragement we receive from others...
     those who provide for public safety and well-being...
     the mission of the church around the world...

Merciful God, strengthen us in prayer that we may lift up
the brokenness of this world for your healing, and share
the saving love of Jesus Christ. Especially we pray for
     those in positions of authority over others...
                           (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     the lonely and forgotten...
     children without family or homes...
     agents of caring and relief...
     the church in Asia and the Middle East...

O God,
you reveal yourself to the humble in the lowliest of disguises,
yet the proud fail to find you even in your greatest glory:
Help us to perceive you in this ordinary moment,
that with faith piercing the superficial experience of this world,
we may see you accomplishing many great things around us.
We ask this through Jesus Christ, our Lord born in a barn. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

Increase our love for one another,
that both in name and in truth
we may be disciples of the risen Lord Jesus,
and so reflect by our lives
the glory that is yours. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen T. Benner, 2001, and is
based on phrases from a Syrian Clementine liturgy, found in _Chalice
Worship_, (c) Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.

The closing sentence is from a prayer in _Opening Prayers: Collects in