OREMUS: 8 May 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon May 7 17:00:00 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Tuesday, May 8, 2007
Julian of Norwich, Spiritual Writer, c.1417

Blessed are you, almighty God,
for you have raised from the dead
your Son, our Lord Jesus Christ.
You are the ineffable sea of love,
the fountain of blessings,
and you water us with plenteous streams
from the riches of your grace
and the most sweet springs of your kindness.

Give thanks to the Lord and call upon his name;*
 make known his deeds among the peoples.
Sing to him, sing praises to him,*
 and speak of all his marvellous works.
Glory in his holy name;*
 let the hearts of those who seek the Lord rejoice.
Search for the Lord and his strength;*
 continually seek his face.
Remember the marvels he has done,*
 his wonders and the judgements of his mouth,
O offspring of Abraham his servant,*
 O children of Jacob his chosen.
He is the Lord our God;*
 his judgements prevail in all the world.
He has always been mindful of his covenant,*
 the promise he made for a thousand generations:
The covenant he made with Abraham,*
 the oath that he swore to Isaac,
Which he established as a statute for Jacob,*
 an everlasting covenant for Israel,
Saying, 'To you will I give the land of Canaan*
 to be your allotted inheritance.'
When they were few in number,*
 of little account and sojourners in the land,
Wandering from nation to nation*
 and from one kingdom to another,
He let no one oppress them*
 and rebuked kings for their sake,
Saying, 'Do not touch my anointed*
 and do my prophets no harm.'
Then he called for a famine in the land*
 and destroyed the supply of bread.
He sent a man before them,*
 Joseph, who was sold as a slave.
They bruised his feet in fetters;*
 his neck they put in an iron collar.
Until his prediction came to pass,*
 the word of the Lord tested him.
The king sent and released him;*
 the ruler of the peoples set him free.
He set him as master over his household,*
 as a ruler over all his possessions,
To instruct his princes according to his will*
 and to teach his elders wisdom.
Israel came into Egypt,*
 and Jacob became a sojourner in the land of Ham.
The Lord made his people exceedingly fruitful;*
 he made them stronger than their enemies;
Whose heart he turned, so that they hated his people,*
 and dealt unjustly with his servants.
He sent Moses his servant,*
 and Aaron whom he had chosen.
They worked his signs among them,*
 and portents in the land of Ham.
He sent darkness and it grew dark;*
 but the Egyptians rebelled against his words.
He turned their waters into blood*
 and caused their fish to die.
Their land was overrun by frogs,*
 in the very chambers of their kings.
He spoke and there came swarms of insects*
 and gnats within all their borders.
He gave them hailstones instead of rain,*
 and flames of fire throughout their land.
He blasted their vines and their fig trees*
 and shattered every tree in their country.
He spoke and the locust came,*
 and young locusts without number,
Which ate up all the green plants in their land*
 and devoured the fruit of their soil.
He struck down the first-born of their land,*
 the first-fruits of all their strength.
He led out his people with silver and gold;*
 in all their tribes there was not one that stumbled.
Egypt was glad of their going,*
 because they were afraid of them.
He spread out a cloud for a covering*
 and a fire to give light in the night season.
They asked and quails appeared,*
 and he satisfied them with bread from heaven.
He opened the rock and water flowed,*
 so the river ran in the dry places.
For God remembered his holy word*
 and Abraham his servant.
So he led forth his people with gladness,*
 his chosen with shouts of joy.
He gave his people the lands of the nations,*
 and they took the fruit of others' toil,
That they might keep his statutes*
 and observe his laws.
   Alleluia!

A Song of Julian of Norwich

God chose to be our mother in all things
and so made the foundation of his work,
most humbly and most pure,
in the Virgin's womb.

God, the perfect wisdom of all,
arrayed himself in this humble place.

Christ came in our poor flesh
to share a mother's care.

Our mothers bear us for pain and for death;
our true mother, Jesus,
bears us for joy and endless life.

Christ carried us within him in love and travail,
until the full time of his passion.

And when all was completed
and he had carried us so for joy,
still all this could not satisfy
the power of his wonderful love.

All that we owe is redeemed in truly loving God,
for the love of Christ works in us;
Christ is the one whom we love.

FIRST READING [2 Samuel 1:4-27]:

David said to him, 'How did things go? Tell me!' He
answered, 'The army fled from the battle, but also many
of the army fell and died; and Saul and his son Jonathan
also died.' Then David asked the young man who was
reporting to him, 'How do you know that Saul and his son
Jonathan died?' The young man reporting to him said, 'I
happened to be on Mount Gilboa; and there was Saul
leaning on his spear, while the chariots and the horsemen
drew close to him. When he looked behind him, he saw me,
and called to me. I answered, "Here, sir." And he said to
me, "Who are you?" I answered him, "I am an Amalekite."
He said to me, "Come, stand over me and kill me; for
convulsions have seized me, and yet my life still
lingers." So I stood over him, and killed him, for I knew
that he could not live after he had fallen. I took the
crown that was on his head and the armlet that was on his
arm, and I have brought them here to my lord.'

Then David took hold of his clothes and tore them; and
all the men who were with him did the same. They mourned
and wept, and fasted until evening for Saul and for his
son Jonathan, and for the army of the Lord and for the
house of Israel, because they had fallen by the sword.
David said to the young man who had reported to him,
'Where do you come from?' He answered, 'I am the son of a
resident alien, an Amalekite.' David said to him, 'Were
you not afraid to lift your hand to destroy the Lord's
anointed?' Then David called one of the young men and
said, 'Come here and strike him down.' So he struck him
down and he died. David said to him, 'Your blood be on
your head; for your own mouth has testified against you,
saying, "I have killed the Lord's anointed." '

David intoned this lamentation over Saul and his son
Jonathan. (He ordered that The Song of the Bow be taught
to the people of Judah; it is written in the Book of
Jashar.) He said:
Your glory, O Israel, lies slain upon your high places!
   How the mighty have fallen!
Tell it not in Gath,
   proclaim it not in the streets of Ashkelon;
or the daughters of the Philistines will rejoice,
   the daughters of the uncircumcised will exult.

You mountains of Gilboa,
   let there be no dew or rain upon you,
   nor bounteous fields!
For there the shield of the mighty was defiled,
   the shield of Saul, anointed with oil no more.

>From the blood of the slain,
   from the fat of the mighty,
the bow of Jonathan did not turn back,
   nor the sword of Saul return empty.

Saul and Jonathan, beloved and lovely!
   In life and in death they were not divided;
they were swifter than eagles,
   they were stronger than lions.

O daughters of Israel, weep over Saul,
   who clothed you with crimson, in luxury,
   who put ornaments of gold on your apparel.

How the mighty have fallen
   in the midst of the battle!

Jonathan lies slain upon your high places.
   I am distressed for you, my brother Jonathan;
greatly beloved were you to me;
   your love to me was wonderful,
   passing the love of women.

How the mighty have fallen,
   and the weapons of war perished!

HYMN
Words: Alan Gaunt (1935-), after Julian of Norwich (c)
Tune: Aus der Tiefe (Heinlein)
<a
href="http://oremus.org/hymnal/l/l900.html">httphttp://oremus.org/hymnal/l/l900.html

Listen, frightened spirits, hear!
Christ has spoken loud and clear:
'Through all tempest, pain and fear,
You shall not be overcome.'

When you agonize and grieve,
Call to mind his cross, believe
Love like this will not deceive.
You shall not be overcome.

Though you suffer grievous ill,
Dare to trust his promise still;
Sure, in God's unchanging will,
You shall not be overcome.

In your trouble and distress,
Though your faith grow less and less,
Grounded in Christ's faithfulness,
You shall not be overcome.

Word of Life, once crucified,
Resurrected Love, who died,
Held for ever at your side,
We shall not be overcome!

SECOND READING [Acts 11:27-30]:

At that time prophets came down from Jerusalem to Antioch. One of them named
Agabus stood up and predicted by the Spirit that there would be a severe famine over
all the world; and this took place during the reign of Claudius. The disciples
determined that according to their ability, each would send relief to the believers living
in Judea; this they did, sending it to the elders by Barnabas and Saul.

Eternal God, we rejoice today in the gift of life, which
we have received by your grace, and the new life you give
in Jesus Christ. Especially we thank you for
     the love of our families...
                         (We thank you, Lord.)
     the affection of our friends...
     strength and abilities to serve your purpose today...
     this community in which we live...
     opportunities to give as we have received...

God of grace, we offer our prayers for the needs of
others and commit ourselves to serve them as we have been
served in Jesus Christ. Especially we pray for
     those closest to us, families, friends, neighbors...
                         (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     refugees and homeless men, women and children...
     the outcast and persecuted...
     those from whom we are estranged...
     the church in Africa...

Merciful God,
you brought your people out of slavery
and led them to freedom in the promised land;
feed us on our journey with the bread of heaven
that we may hunger and thirst for righteousness
until your kingdom comes;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Eternal God,
whose blessings overflow,
grant us the knowledge of your beloved Julian,
that we may keep the watch of prayer
and proclaim your marvelous wisdom
made manifest in our Savior Jesus Christ,
whose love is sovereign over all creation. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

Increase our love for one another,
that both in name and in truth
we may be disciples of the risen Lord Jesus,
and so reflect by our lives
the glory that is yours. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen T. Benner, 2001, and is
based on phrases from a Syrian Clementine liturgy, found in _Chalice
Worship_, (c) Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.

The closing sentence is from a prayer in _Opening Prayers: Collects in