OREMUS: 7 May 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun May 6 18:25:41 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Monday, May 7, 2007

Blessed are you, almighty God,
for you have raised from the dead
your Son, our Lord Jesus Christ.
You are the ineffable sea of love,
the fountain of blessings,
and you water us with plenteous streams
from the riches of your grace
and the most sweet springs of your kindness.

Not to us, O Lord, not to us,
   but to your name give glory;*
 because of your love and because of your faithfulness.
Why should the heathen say,*
 'Where then is their God?'
Our God is in heaven;*
 whatever he wills to do he does.
Their idols are silver and gold,*
 the work of human hands.
They have mouths, but they cannot speak;*
 eyes have they, but they cannot see;
They have ears, but they cannot hear;*
 noses, but they cannot smell;
They have hands, but they cannot feel;
   feet, but they cannot walk;*
 they make no sound with their throat.
Those who make them are like them,*
 and so are all who put their trust in them.
O Israel, trust in the Lord;*
 he is their help and their shield.
O house of Aaron, trust in the Lord;*
 he is their help and their shield.
You who fear the Lord, trust in the Lord;*
 he is their help and their shield.
The Lord has been mindful of us and he will bless us;*
 he will bless the house of Israel;
   he will bless the house of Aaron;
He will bless those who fear the Lord,*
 both small and great together.
May the Lord increase you more and more,*
 you and your children after you.
May you be blessed by the Lord,*
 the maker of heaven and earth.
The heaven of heavens is the Lord's,*
 but he entrusted the earth to its peoples.
The dead do not praise the Lord,*
 nor all those who go down into silence;
But we will bless the Lord,*
 from this time forth for evermore.
   Alleluia!

A Song of the Heavenly City (Revelation 21.22-26;22.1,2b,2d,3b-4)

I saw no temple in the city,
for its temple is the Lord God the Almighty
and the Lamb.

And the city has no need of sun or moon
to shine upon it,
for the glory of God is its light,
and its lamp is the Lamb.

By its light the nations shall walk,
and the rulers of the earth
shall bring their glory into it.

Its gates shall never be shut by day,
nor shall there be any night;
they shall bring into it
the glory and honour of the nations.

I saw the river of the water of life,
bright as crystal,
flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb.

And either side of the river stood the tree of life,
yielding its fruit each month,
and the leaves of the tree
were for the healing of the nations.

The throne of God and of the Lamb shall be there,
and his servants shall worship him;
and they shall see his face
and his name shall be on their foreheads.

for ever and ever. Amen.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [1 Samuel 20:1-23, 35-42]:

David fled from Naioth in Ramah. He came before Jonathan
and said, 'What have I done? What is my guilt? And what
is my sin against your father that he is trying to take
my life?' He said to him, 'Perish the thought! You shall
not die. My father does nothing either great or small
without disclosing it to me; and why should my father
hide this from me? Never!' But David also swore, 'Your
father knows well that you like me; and he thinks, "Do
not let Jonathan know this, or he will be grieved." But
truly, as the Lord lives and as you yourself live, there
is but a step between me and death.' Then Jonathan said
to David, 'Whatever you say, I will do for you.' David
said to Jonathan, 'Tomorrow is the new moon, and I should
not fail to sit with the king at the meal; but let me go,
so that I may hide in the field until the third evening.
If your father misses me at all, then say, "David
earnestly asked leave of me to run to Bethlehem his city;
for there is a yearly sacrifice there for all the
family." If he says, "Good!" it will be well with your
servant; but if he is angry, then know that evil has been
determined by him. Therefore deal kindly with your
servant, for you have brought your servant into a sacred
covenant with you. But if there is guilt in me, kill me
yourself; why should you bring me to your father?'
Jonathan said, 'Far be it from you! If I knew that it was
decided by my father that evil should come upon you,
would I not tell you?' Then David said to Jonathan, 'Who
will tell me if your father answers you harshly?'
Jonathan replied to David, 'Come, let us go out into the
field.' So they both went out into the field.
Jonathan said to David, 'By the Lord, the God of Israel!
When I have sounded out my father, about this time
tomorrow, or on the third day, if he is well disposed
towards David, shall I not then send and disclose it to
you? But if my father intends to do you harm, the Lord do
so to Jonathan, and more also, if I do not disclose it to
you, and send you away, so that you may go in safety. May
the Lord be with you, as he has been with my father. If I
am still alive, show me the faithful love of the Lord;
but if I die, never cut off your faithful love from my
house, even if the Lord were to cut off every one of the
enemies of David from the face of the earth.' Thus
Jonathan made a covenant with the house of David, saying,
'May the Lord seek out the enemies of David.' Jonathan
made David swear again by his love for him; for he loved
him as he loved his own life.
Jonathan said to him, 'Tomorrow is the new moon; you will
be missed, because your place will be empty. On the day
after tomorrow, you shall go a long way down; go to the
place where you hid yourself earlier, and remain beside
the stone there. I will shoot three arrows to the side of
it, as though I shot at a mark. Then I will send the boy,
saying, "Go, find the arrows." If I say to the boy,
"Look, the arrows are on this side of you, collect them",
then you are to come, for, as the Lord lives, it is safe
for you and there is no danger. But if I say to the young
man, "Look, the arrows are beyond you", then go; for the
Lord has sent you away. As for the matter about which you
and I have spoken, the Lord is witness between you and me
for ever.'
In the morning Jonathan went out into the field to the
appointment with David, and with him was a little boy. He
said to the boy, 'Run and find the arrows that I shoot.'
As the boy ran, he shot an arrow beyond him. When the boy
came to the place where Jonathan's arrow had fallen,
Jonathan called after the boy and said, 'Is the arrow not
beyond you?' Jonathan called after the boy, 'Hurry, be
quick, do not linger.' So Jonathan's boy gathered up the
arrows and came to his master. But the boy knew nothing;
only Jonathan and David knew the arrangement. Jonathan
gave his weapons to the boy and said to him, 'Go and
carry them to the city.' As soon as the boy had gone,
David rose from beside the stone heap and prostrated
himself with his face to the ground. He bowed three
times, and they kissed each other, and wept with each
other; David wept the more. Then Jonathan said to David,
'Go in peace, since both of us have sworn in the name of
the Lord, saying, "The Lord shall be between me and you,
and between my descendants and your descendants, for
ever." ' He got up and left; and Jonathan went into the
city.

HYMN
Words: Charles Wesley, 1743
Tune: Erschienen ist
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o865.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/
o865.html

Our Lord is risen from the dead!
Our Jesus is gone up on high!
The powers of hell are captive led,
dragged to the portals of the sky.
Alleluia!

There his triumphal chariot waits,
and angels chant the solemn lay:
lift up your heads, ye heavenly gates;
ye everlasting doors, give way.
Alleluia!

Loose all your bars of massy light,
and wide unfold the ethereal scene;
he claims these mansions as his right
receive the King of glory in.
Alleluia!

Who is this King of glory? Who?
The Lord that all our foes overcame;
the world, sin, death, and hell overthrew;
and Jesus is the conqueror's Name.
Alleluia!

SECOND READING [Acts 11:19-26]:

Now those who were scattered because of the persecution that took place over
Stephen travelled as far as Phoenicia, Cyprus, and Antioch, and they spoke the word
to no one except Jews. But among them were some men of Cyprus and Cyrene who,
on coming to Antioch, spoke to the Hellenists also, proclaiming the Lord Jesus. The
hand of the Lord was with them, and a great number became believers and turned to
the Lord. News of this came to the ears of the church in Jerusalem, and they sent
Barnabas to Antioch. When he came and saw the grace of God, he rejoiced, and he
exhorted them all to remain faithful to the Lord with steadfast devotion; for he was a
good man, full of the Holy Spirit and of faith. And a great many people were brought
to the Lord. Then Barnabas went to Tarsus to look for Saul, and when he had found
him, he brought him to Antioch. So it was that for an entire year they associated with
the church and taught a great many people, and it was in Antioch that the disciples
were first called 'Christians'.

We praise you, God our creator, for your handiwork in
shaping and sustaining your wondrous creation. Especially
we thank you for
     the miracle of life and the wonder of living...
                         (We thank you, Lord.)
     particular blessings coming to us in this day...
     the resources of the earth...
     gifts of creative vision and skillful craft...
     the treasure stored in every human life...

We dare to pray for others, God our Savior, claiming your
love in Jesus Christ for the whole world, committing
ourselves to care for those around us in his name.
Especially we pray for
     those who work for the benefit of others...
                         (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     those who cannot work today...
     those who teach and those who learn...
     people who are poor...
     the Church in Europe...

O Lord of life,
who made us in your image
and taught us to offer ourselves to you
as a living sacrifice:
fill us with your life-giving Spirit
that in the renewal of our minds
we may be dead to sin and live to you
in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

Increase our love for one another,
that both in name and in truth
we may be disciples of the risen Lord Jesus,
and so reflect by our lives
the glory that is yours. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen T. Benner, 2001, and is
based on phrases from a Syrian Clementine liturgy, found in _Chalice
Worship_, (c) Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.

The closing sentence is from a prayer in _Opening Prayers: Collects in