OREMUS: 5 May 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri May 4 21:04:12 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Saturday, May 5, 2007

Blessed are you, God of peace,
who brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus,
the great shepherd of the sheep,
by the blood of the eternal covenant,
making us complete in everything good
so that we may do his will,
and working among us that which is pleasing in his sight.

   Give praise, you servants of the Lord;*
 praise the name of the Lord.
Let the name of the Lord be blessed,*
 from this time forth for evermore.
>From the rising of the sun to its going down*
 let the name of the Lord be praised.
The Lord is high above all nations,*
 and his glory above the heavens.
Who is like the Lord our God,
   who sits enthroned on high,*
 but stoops to behold the heavens and the earth?
He takes up the weak out of the dust*
 and lifts up the poor from the ashes.
He sets them with the princes,*
 with the princes of his people.
He makes the woman of a childless house*
 to be a joyful mother of children.

   When Israel came out of Egypt,*
 the house of Jacob from a people of strange speech,
Judah became God's sanctuary*
 and Israel his dominion.
The sea beheld it and fled;*
 Jordan turned and went back.
The mountains skipped like rams,*
 and the little hills like young sheep.
What ailed you, O sea, that you fled?*
 O Jordan, that you turned back?
You mountains, that you skipped like rams?*
 you little hills like young sheep?
Tremble, O earth, at the presence of the Lord,*
 at the presence of the God of Jacob,
Who turned the hard rock into a pool of water*
 and flint-stone into a flowing spring.

A Song of God's Grace (Ephesians 1:3-10)

Blessed are you,
the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
for you have blest us in Christ Jesus
with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places.

You chose us to be yours in Christ
before the foundation of the world,
that we should be holy and blameless before you.

In love you destined us for adoption as your children,
through Jesus Christ,
according to the purpose of your will,

To the praise of your glorious grace,
which you freely bestowed on us in the Beloved.

In you, we have redemption
through the blood of Christ,
the forgiveness of our sins,

According to the riches of your grace,
which you have lavished upon us.

You have made known to us, in all wisdom and insight,
the mystery of your will,

According to your purpose
which you set forth in Christ,
as a plan for the fullness of time,

To unite all things in Christ,
things in heaven and things on earth.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Daniel 7:27]:

The kingship and dominion
   and the greatness of the kingdoms
   under the whole heaven
   shall be given to the people
   of the holy ones of the Most High;
their kingdom shall be an everlasting kingdom,
   and all dominions shall serve and obey them.'

HYMN
Words: Latin, twelfth century; trans. Gabriel Gillett, 1906
Tune: Sion's Daughters
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/z/z005.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/z/
z005.html

Zion's daughters! Sons of Jerusalem!
All ye hosts of heavenly chivalry!
Lift your voices, singing right merrily
alleluia!

Christ our Savior weds on this festival
holy Church, the pattern of righteousness,
whom from depths of uttermost misery
he hath rescued.

Now the Bride receiveth his benison,
tasteth now the joys of the Paraclete;
kings and queens with jubilant melody
call her blessed.

Mother meet for sinful humanity,
life's sure haven, rest for the sorrowful,
strong protectress, born a mystery,
ever wondrous.

Not more fair the moon in her loveliness!
Not more bright the sun in his majesty!
Like an army splendid and terrible,
ranged for battle.

So the Church shines forth on her pilgrimage,
signed with Jordan's waters of penitence,
drawn to hear the wisdom of Solomon,
from the world's end.

"So, foretold by figures and prophecies,
clothed in nuptial vesture of charity,
joined with Christ, o'er heaven's glad citizens
now she reigneth.

"Welcome! feast of light and felicity,
Bride to Bridegroom joining in unity;
in her mystic marriage is typified
our salvation."

Christ, whose joys we joyfully celebrate,
grant us all a place with thy chosen ones,
true delights, ineffable happiness,
rest eternal.

SECOND READING [Revelation 11:16-19]:

Then the twenty-four elders who sit on their thrones before God fell on their faces and
worshipped God, singing,
'We give you thanks, Lord God Almighty,
   who are and who were,
for you have taken your great power
   and begun to reign.
The nations raged,
   but your wrath has come,
   and the time for judging the dead,
for rewarding your servants, the prophets
   and saints and all who fear your name,
   both small and great,
and for destroying those who destroy the earth.'

Then God's temple in heaven was opened, and the ark of his covenant was seen within
his temple; and there were flashes of lightning, rumblings, peals of thunder, an
earthquake, and heavy hail.

God of glory, we praise you for your presence in our
lives, and for all goodness that you shower upon your
children in Jesus Christ. Especially we thank you for
     promises kept and hope for tomorrow...
                         (We thank you, Lord.)
     the enjoyment of friends...
     the wonders of your creation...
     love from our parents, our sisters and brothers,
     our spouses, lovers, and children...
     pleasures of living...

God of grace, we are one with all your children, for we
are sisters and brothers of Jesus Christ, and we offer
our prayers for all whom we love. Especially we pray for
     those we too often forget...
                (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     people who have lost hope...
     victims of tragedy and disaster...
     those who suffer mental anguish...
     ecumenical councils and church agencies...

You brought your people out of captivity, O Lord,
and give us fresh springs from the barren rock.
Deliver us from the slavery of our sins
and bring us through the waters of redemption
to find new life in your Son,
our Saviour, Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

Lead us always to the living waters
where you promise respite and refreshment,
that we may be counted among those
who know and follow you, O Lord. Amen.

Contemporary Language_.