OREMUS: 3 May 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed May 2 23:35:27 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Thursday, May 3, 2007

Blessed are you, God of peace,
who brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus,
the great shepherd of the sheep,
by the blood of the eternal covenant,
making us complete in everything good
so that we may do his will,
and working among us that which is pleasing in his sight.

Rejoice in the Lord, you righteous;*
 it is good for the just to sing praises.
Praise the Lord with the harp;*
 play to him upon the psaltery and lyre.
Sing for him a new song;*
 sound a fanfare with all your skill upon the trumpet.
For the word of the Lord is right,*
 and all his works are sure.
He loves righteousness and justice;*
 the loving-kindness of the Lord fills the whole earth.
By the word of the Lord were the heavens made,*
 by the breath of his mouth all the heavenly hosts.
He gathers up the waters of the ocean
   as in a water-skin*
 and stores up the depths of the sea.
Let all the earth fear the Lord;*
 let all who dwell in the world stand in awe of him.
For he spoke and it came to pass;*
 he commanded and it stood fast.
The Lord brings the will of the nations to naught;*
 he thwarts the designs of the peoples.
But the Lord's will stands fast for ever,*
 and the designs of his heart from age to age.
Happy is the nation whose God is the Lord!*
 happy the people he has chosen to be his own!
The Lord looks down from heaven,*
 and beholds all the people in the world.
>From where he sits enthroned he turns his gaze*
 on all who dwell on the earth.
He fashions all the hearts of them*
 and understands all their works.
There is no king that can be saved by a mighty army;*
 the strong are not delivered by great strength.nbsp;
The horse is a vain hope for deliverance;*
 for all its strength it cannot save.
Behold, the eye of the Lord
   is upon those who fear him,*
 on those who wait upon his love,
To pluck their lives from death,*
 and to feed them in time of famine.
Our soul waits for the Lord;*
 he is our help and our shield.
Indeed, our heart rejoices in him,*
 for in his holy name we put our trust.
Let your loving-kindness, O Lord, be upon us,*
 as we have put our trust in you.

A Song of the Redeemed (Revelation 7. 9-10,14b-17)

Behold, a great multitude
 which no one could number,

>From every nation,
from all tribes and peoples and tongues,
 standing before the throne and the Lamb.

They were clothed in white robes
 and had palms in their hands,
 and they cried with a loud voice, saying,

'Salvation belongs to our God
 who sits on the throne,
 and to the Lamb.'

These are they
who have come out of the great tribulation,
 they have washed their robes
 and made them white in the blood of the Lamb;

Therefore they stand before the throne of God,
 whom they serve day and night within the temple.

And the One who sits upon the throne
 will shelter them with his presence.

They shall never again feel hunger or thirst,
 the sun shall not strike them,
 nor any scorching heat.

For the Lamb at the heart of the throne
 will be their Shepherd,

He will guide them to springs of living water,
 and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.

 for ever and ever. Amen.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [Ezekiel 2:8-3:11]:

But you, mortal, hear what I say to you; do not be
rebellious like that rebellious house; open your mouth
and eat what I give you. I looked, and a hand was
stretched out to me, and a written scroll was in it. He
spread it before me; it had writing on the front and on
the back, and written on it were words of lamentation and
mourning and woe.
He said to me, O mortal, eat what is offered to you; eat
this scroll, and go, speak to the house of Israel. So I
opened my mouth, and he gave me the scroll to eat. He
said to me, Mortal, eat this scroll that I give you and
fill your stomach with it. Then I ate it; and in my mouth
it was as sweet as honey.
He said to me: Mortal, go to the house of Israel and
speak my very words to them. For you are not sent to a
people of obscure speech and difficult language, but to
the house of Israel  not to many peoples of obscure
speech and difficult language, whose words you cannot
understand. Surely, if I sent you to them, they would
listen to you. But the house of Israel will not listen to
you, for they are not willing to listen to me; because
all the house of Israel have a hard forehead and a
stubborn heart. See, I have made your face hard against
their faces, and your forehead hard against their
foreheads. Like the hardest stone, harder than flint, I
have made your forehead; do not fear them or be dismayed
at their looks, for they are a rebellious house. He said
to me: Mortal, all my words that I shall speak to you
receive in your heart and hear with your ears; then go to
the exiles, to your people, and speak to them. Say to
them, 'Thus says the Lord God'; whether they hear or
refuse to hear.

HYMN
Words: Shirley Erena Murray
Tune: Llangloffan
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/f/f296.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/f/f
296.html

>From the waiting comes the sign,
come, Holy Spirit, come;
from the presence comes the peace--
come, Holy Spirit, come;
from the silence comes the song--
come, Holy Spirit, come
and be to us, in truth,
the sign, the peace, the song.

In the burning is the fire--
come, Holy Spirit, come;
in the spending is the gift--
come, Holy Spirit, come;
in the breaking is the life--
come, Holy Spirit, come
and be to us, in faith,
the fire, the gift, the life.

SECOND READING [Revelation 10:1-11]:

And I saw another mighty angel coming down from heaven, wrapped in a cloud, with
a rainbow over his head; his face was like the sun, and his legs like pillars of fire. He
held a little scroll open in his hand. Setting his right foot on the sea and his left foot on
the land, he gave a great shout, like a lion roaring. And when he shouted, the seven
thunders sounded. And when the seven thunders had sounded, I was about to write,
but I heard a voice from heaven saying, 'Seal up what the seven thunders have said,
and do not write it down.' Then the angel whom I saw standing on the sea and the
land
raised his right hand to heaven
   and swore by him who lives for ever and ever,
who created heaven and what is in it, the earth and what is in it, and the sea and what
is in it: 'There will be no more delay, but in the days when the seventh angel is to blow
his trumpet, the mystery of God will be fulfilled, as he announced to his servants the
prophets.'

Then the voice that I had heard from heaven spoke to me again, saying, 'Go, take the
scroll that is open in the hand of the angel who is standing on the sea and on the land.'
So I went to the angel and told him to give me the little scroll; and he said to me,
'Take it, and eat; it will be bitter to your stomach, but sweet as honey in your mouth.'
So I took the little scroll from the hand of the angel and ate it; it was sweet as honey in
my mouth, but when I had eaten it, my stomach was made bitter.

Then they said to me, 'You must prophesy again about many peoples and nations and
languages and kings.'

We give you praise and thanks, O God, for all gifts of
love we have received from you, and for your persistent
mercy in Jesus Christ. Especially we thank you for
     work we have accomplished pleasing to you...
                         (We thank you, Lord.)
     the faithful witness of Christian people...
     the example of righteousness we see in parents and teachers...
     the innocence and openness we see in children...
     all works of Christian compassion...

We give you our cares and concerns, O God, because we
know you are kind and care for your children in every
circumstance. Especially we pray for
     those who struggle with doubt and despair...
            (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     people afflicted with disease...
     those called to special ministries...
     people neglected or abused...
     Baptist, Disciples of Christ, and other free churches...

Blessed are you, Creator of the universe:
In your loving kindness you watch over your chosen people.
Make us witnesses to your truth
and instruments of your peace
that all may know you as the God of justice,
and praise your holy Name;
through Jesus Christ our Savior. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

Lead us always to the living waters
where you promise respite and refreshment,
that we may be counted among those
who know and follow you, O Lord. Amen.

Contemporary Language_.