OREMUS: 29 March 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Mar 28 18:17:48 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Thursday, March 29, 2007
John Keble, Priest, Tractarian, Poet, 1866

Blessed are you, holy Father,
almighty and eternal God,
 through Jesus Christ our Lord.
For as the time of his passion and resurrection draws near
the whole world is called to acknowledge his hidden majesty.
The power of the life-giving cross
reveals the judgement that has come upon the world
and the triumph of Christ crucified.
He is the victim who dies no more,
the Lamb once slain, who lives for ever,
our advocate in heaven to plead our cause.

http://www.oremus.org/passocan.html

Psalm 40

I waited patiently upon the Lord;*
 he stooped to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the desolate pit,
   out of the mire and clay;*
 he set my feet upon a high cliff and made my footing sure.
He put a new song in my mouth,
   a song of praise to our God;*
 many shall see and stand in awe
   and put their trust in the Lord.
Happy are they who trust in the Lord!*
 they do not resort to evil spirits or turn to false gods.
Great things are they that you have done, O Lord my God!
   how great your wonders and your plans for us!*
 there is none who can be compared with you.
O that I could make them known and tell them!*
 but they are more than I can count.
In sacrifice and offering you take no pleasure*
 you have given me ears to hear you;
Burnt-offering and sin-offering you have not required,*
 and so I said, 'Behold, I come.
'In the roll of the book it is written concerning me:*
 "I love to do your will, O my God;
 your law is deep in my heart."'
I proclaimed righteousness in the great congregation;*
 behold, I did not restrain my lips;
 and that, O Lord, you know.
Your righteousness have I not hidden in my heart;
   I have spoken of your faithfulness and your deliverance;*
 I have not concealed your love and faithfulness
   from the great congregation.
You are the Lord;
   do not withhold your compassion from me;*
 let your love and your faithfulness keep me safe for ever,
For innumerable troubles have crowded upon me;
   my sins have overtaken me and I cannot see;*
 they are more in number than the hairs of my head,
   and my heart fails me.
Be pleased, O Lord, to deliver me;*
 O Lord, make haste to help me.
Let them be ashamed and altogether dismayed
   who seek after my life to destroy it;*
 let them draw back and be disgraced
   who take pleasure in my misfortune.
Let those who say 'Aha!' and gloat over me be confounded,*
 because they are ashamed.
Let all who seek you rejoice in you and be glad;*
 let those who love your salvation continually say,
   'Great is the Lord!'
Though I am poor and afflicted,*
 the Lord will have regard for me.
You are my helper and my deliverer;*
 do not tarry, O my God.

Psalm 54

Save me, O God, by your name;*
 in your might, defend my cause.
Hear my prayer, O God;*
 give ear to the words of my mouth.
For the arrogant have risen up against me,
   and the ruthless have sought my life,*
 those who have no regard for God.
Behold, God is my helper;*
 it is the Lord who sustains my life.
Render evil to those who spy on me;*
 in your faithfulness, destroy them.
I will offer you a freewill sacrifice*
 and praise your name, O Lord, for it is good.
For you have rescued me from every trouble,*
 and my eye has seen the ruin of my foes.

FIRST READING [Exodus 40:1-15]:

The Lord spoke to Moses: On the first day of the first
month you shall set up the tabernacle of the tent of
meeting. You shall put in it the ark of the covenant, and
you shall screen the ark with the curtain. You shall
bring in the table, and arrange its setting; and you
shall bring in the lampstand, and set up its lamps. You
shall put the golden altar for incense before the ark of
the covenant, and set up the screen for the entrance of
the tabernacle. You shall set the altar of burnt-offering
before the entrance of the tabernacle of the tent of
meeting, and place the basin between the tent of meeting
and the altar, and put water in it. You shall set up the
court all around, and hang up the screen for the gate of
the court. Then you shall take the anointing-oil, and
anoint the tabernacle and all that is in it, and
consecrate it and all its furniture, so that it shall
become holy. You shall also anoint the altar of
burnt-offering and all its utensils, and consecrate the
altar, so that the altar shall be most holy. You shall
also anoint the basin with its stand, and consecrate it.
Then you shall bring Aaron and his sons to the entrance
of the tent of meeting, and shall wash them with water,
and put on Aaron the sacred vestments, and you shall
anoint him and consecrate him, so that he may serve me as
priest. You shall bring his sons also and put tunics on
them, and anoint them, as you anointed their father, that
they may serve me as priests: and their anointing shall
admit them to a perpetual priesthood throughout all
generations to come.

HYMN
Words: William Bright, 1866
Tune: Albano

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o783.html

Once, only once, and once for all,
his precious life he gave;
before the cross in faith we fall,
and own it strong to save.

"One offering, single and complete,"
with lips and hearts we say;
but what he never can repeat
he shows forth day by day.

For as the priest of Aaron's line
within the holiest stood,
and sprinkled all the mercy shrine
with sacrificial blood;

So he, who once atonement wrought,
our Priest of endless power,
presents himself for those he bought
in that dark noontide hour.

His manhood pleads where now it lives
on heaven's eternal throne,
and where in mystic rite he gives
its presence to his own.

And so we show thy death, O Lord,
till thou again appear,
and feel, when we approach thy board,
we have an altar here.

All glory to the Father be,
all glory to the Son,
all glory, Holy Ghost, to thee,
while endless ages run.

SECOND READING [Hebrews 2:1-9]:

Therefore we must pay greater attention to what we have heard, so that we do not
drift away from it. For if the message declared through angels was valid, and every
transgression or disobedience received a just penalty, how can we escape if we neglect
so great a salvation? It was declared at first through the Lord, and it was attested to us
by those who heard him, while God added his testimony by signs and wonders and
various miracles, and by gifts of the Holy Spirit, distributed according to his will.

Now God did not subject the coming world, about which we are speaking, to angels.
But someone has testified somewhere,
'What are human beings that you are mindful of them,
   or mortals, that you care for them?
You have made them for a little while lower than the angels;
   you have crowned them with glory and honour,
   subjecting all things under their feet.'
Now in subjecting all things to them, God left nothing outside their control. As it is,
we do not yet see everything in subjection to them, but we do see Jesus, who for a
little while was made lower than the angels, now crowned with glory and honour
because of the suffering of death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for
everyone.

O Christ,
out of your fullness we have received grace upon grace.
You are our eternal hope;
you are patient and full of mercy;
you are generous to all who call upon you.
Save us, O Lord.

O Christ, fountain of life and holiness,
you have taken away our sins.
On the cross you were wounded for our transgressions
and were bruised for our iniquities.
Save us, O Lord.

O Christ, obedient unto death,
source of all comfort,
our life and our resurrection,
our peace and reconciliation:
Save us, O Lord.

O Christ, Savior of all who trust you,
hope of all who die for yo,
and joy of all the saints:
Save us, O Lord.

Free us from our sins, O God,
and may we never be ashamed
to confess you to all the nations,
through your Son, our Redeemer,
Jesus Christ, the Lord of all. Amen.

Father of the eternal Word,
in whose encompassing love
all things in peace and order move:
grant that, as your servant John Keble
adored you in all creation,
so may we have a humble heart of love
for the mysteries of your Church
and know your love to be new every morning,

Standing at the foot of the cross, BR>

Christ crucified draw us to himself,
to find in him a sure ground for faith,
a firm support for hope,
and the assurance of sins forgiven. Amen.

 John Keble, born 1792, ordained Priest in 1816, tutor at Oxford from 1818 to
1823, published in 1827 a book of poems called The Christian Year, containing
poems for the Sundays and Feast Days of the Church Year. The book sold
many copies, and was highly effective in spreading Keble's devotional and
theological views. His style was more popular then than now, but some of his
poems are still in use as hymns, including: :New every morning is the love,"
"Sun of my soul, thou Savior dear," and "Blest are the pure in heart."

He was Professor of Poetry at Oxford from 1831 to 1841, and from 1836 until
his death thirty years later he was priest of a small parish in the village of
Hursley near Winchester.

On 14 July 1833, he preached the Assize Sermon at Oxford. (This sermon
marks the opening of a term of the civil and criminal courts, and is officially
addressed to the judges and officers of the court, exhorting them to deal
justly.) His sermon was called "National Apostasy," and denounced the Nation
for turning away from God, and for regarding the Church as a mere institution
of society, rather than as the prophetic voice of God, commissioned by Him to
warn and instruct the people. The sermon was a nationwide sensation, and is
considered to be the beginning of the religious revival known as the Tractarian
Movement (so called because of a series of 90 Tracts, or pamphlets addressed
to the public, which largely influenced the course of the movement) or as the
Oxford Movement. Because the Tractarians emphasized the importance of the
ministry and of the sacraments as God-given ordinances, they were suspected
by their opponents of Roman Catholic tendencies, and the suspicion was
reinforced when some of their leaders (John Henry Newman being the most
conspicuous) did in fact become Roman Catholics. But the movement
survived, and has profoundly influenced the religious thinking, practice, and
worship of large portions of Christendom. Their insistence, for example, that it
was the normal practice for all Christians to receive the sacrament of Holy
Communion every Sunday has influenced many Christians who would never
call themselves Anglicans, let alone Tractarians.

Keble translated the works of Irenaeus of Lyons (28 June 202), and produced
an edition of the works of Richard Hooker, a distinguished Anglican
theologian (3 Nov 1600). He also wrote more books of poems, and numerous
hymn lyrics. Three years after his death, his friends and admirers established
Keble College at Oxford . [James Kiefer, slightly abridged]