OREMUS: 22 March 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Mar 21 21:24:46 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Thursday, March 22, 2007
James De Koven, Priest, 1879

Blessed are you, God, rich in mercy,
you so loved the world
that when we were dead in our sins,
Lifted up from the earth,
he is light and life;
exalted upon the cross,
he is truth and salvation.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 25

To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul;
   my God, I put my trust in you;*
 let me not be humiliated,
   nor let my enemies triumph over me.
Let none who look to you be put to shame;*
 let the treacherous be disappointed in their schemes.
Show me your ways, O Lord,*
 and teach me your paths.
Lead me in your truth and teach me,*
 for you are the God of my salvation;
   in you have I trusted all the day long.
Remember, O Lord, your compassion and love,*
 for they are from everlasting.
Remember not the sins of my youth
   and my transgressions;*
 remember me according to your love
   and for the sake of your goodness, O Lord.
Gracious and upright is the Lord;*
 therefore he teaches sinners in his way.
He guides the humble in doing right*
 and teaches his way to the lowly.
All the paths of the Lord are love and faithfulness*
 to those who keep his covenant and his testimonies.
For your name's sake, O Lord,*
 forgive my sin, for it is great.
Who are they who fear the Lord?*
 he will teach them the way that they should choose.
They shall dwell in prosperity,*
 and their offspring shall inherit the land.
The Lord is a friend to those who fear him*
 and will show them his covenant.
My eyes are ever looking to the Lord,*
 for he shall pluck my feet out of the net.
Turn to me and have pity on me,*
 for I am left alone and in misery.
The sorrows of my heart have increased;*
 bring me out of my troubles.
Look upon my adversity and misery*
 and forgive me all my sin.
Look upon my enemies, for they are many,*
 and they bear a violent hatred against me.
Protect my life and deliver me;*
 let me not be put to shame, for I have trusted in you.
Let integrity and uprightness preserve me,*
 for my hope has been in you.
Deliver Israel, O God,*
 out of all his troubles.

A Song of Jonah (Jonah 2:2-7,9)

I called to you, O God, out of my distress
and you answered me;
out of the belly of Sheol I cried,
and you heard my voice.

You cast me into the deep,
into the heart of the seas,
and the flood surrounded me,
all your waves and billows passed over me.

Then I said, I am driven away from your sight;
how shall I ever look again upon your holy temple?

The waters closed in over me,
the deep was round about me;
weeds were wrapped around my head
at the roots of the mountains.

I went down to the land whose bars closed upon me for ever,
yet you brought up my life from the depths, O God.

As my life was ebbing away, I remembered you, O God,
and my prayer came to you, into your holy temple.

With the voice of thanksgiving, I will sacrifice to you;
what I have vowed I will pay,
deliverance belongs to the Lord!

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [Isaiah 43:1-7]:

But now thus says the Lord,
   he who created you, O Jacob,
   he who formed you, O Israel:
Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
   I have called you by name, you are mine.
When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;
   and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you;
when you walk through fire you shall not be burned,
   and the flame shall not consume you.
For I am the Lord your God,
   the Holy One of Israel, your Saviour.
I give Egypt as your ransom,
   Ethiopia and Seba in exchange for you.
Because you are precious in my sight,
   and honoured, and I love you,
I give people in return for you,
   nations in exchange for your life.
Do not fear, for I am with you;
   I will bring your offspring from the east,
   and from the west I will gather you;
I will say to the north, 'Give them up',
   and to the south, 'Do not withhold;
bring my sons from far away
   and my daughters from the end of the earth
everyone who is called by my name,
   whom I created for my glory,
   whom I formed and made.'

HYMN
Words: Scottish Paraphrases, 1781
Tune: Bishopthorpe
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b074.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b
/b074.html

Behold! the mountain of the Lord
in latter days shall rise
on mountain tops above the hills,
and draw the wondering eyes.

To this the joyful nations round,
all tribes and tongues, shall flow;
up to the hill of God, they'll say,
and to his house we'll go.

The beam that shines from Zion hill
shall lighten every land;
the King who reigns in Salem's towers
shall all the world command.

Among the nations he shall judge;
his judgments truth shall guide;
his scepter shall protect the just,
and quell the sinner's pride.

No strife shall vex Messiah's reign
or mar the peaceful years;
to plowshares men shall beat their swords,
to pruning-hooks their spears.

No longer hosts, encountering hosts,
shall crowds of slain deplore;
they hang the trumpet in the hall,
and study war no more.

Come then, O come, from every land
to worship at his shrine;
and, walking in the light of God,
with holy beauties shine.

SECOND READING [Philippians 2:19-24]:

I hope in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you soon, so that I may be cheered by
news of you. I have no one like him who will be genuinely concerned for your welfare.
All of them are seeking their own interests, not those of Jesus Christ. But Timothy's
worth you know, how like a son with a father he has served with me in the work of the
gospel. I hope therefore to send him as soon as I see how things go with me; and I
trust in the Lord that I will also come soon.

Lord, open a path for your Word
To declare the mystery of Christ.

Turn now, O God of hosts;
Behold and tend the vine you have planted.

May your people rejoice and sing,
And your ministers be clothed with salvation.

May they stand and feed your flock
In the strength of your name.

Keep from trouble all those who trust in you
And forget not the poor for ever.

Have mercy, O Lord, upon us,
As we have put our hope in you.

Almighty and most merciful God,
drive from us all weakness of body, mind, and spirit;
that, being restored to wholeness,
we may with free hearts become what you intend us to be
and accomplish what you want us to do;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Almighty and everlasting God,
the source and perfection of all virtues,
you inspired your servant James DeKoven
to do what is right and to preach what is true:
Grant that all ministers and stewards of your mysteries
may impart to your faithful people, by word and example,
the knowledge of your grace;

May God give us
his comfort and his peace,
his light and his joy,
in this world and the next. Amen.

James de Koven was born in Connecticut in 1831, ordained to the priesthood
in 1855, and promptly became a professor of Church history at at Nashotah
House, a seminary of the Episcopal Church in Wisconsin. In 1859 he became
Warden of Racine College, an Episcopal college in Racine, Wisconsin.
Nashotah House was from its inception dedicated to an increased emphasis on
the real presence of Christ in the Sacrament of the Lord's Supper, and on the
use of ritual practices that recognized and honored that presence. This met
opposition from other Christians who were suspicious (1) of anything that
suggested Roman Catholicism, (2) of anything that seemed fancy and
pretentious, as opposed to the plain, blunt, simplicity that was considered to be
an American virtue as well as a virtue of the New Testament Church, and (3)
of anything that varied from the practices they had become used to as
children.
In the General Conventions of 1871 and 1874, de Koven became the chief
spokesman for the "ritualists," defending the use of candles, incense, bowing
and kneeling, and the like. He reminded his hearers of the numerous assertions
by prominent Anglican theologians from the Reformation on down who had
taught, and the ecclesiastical courts which when the question came up had
ruled, that it is Anglican belief, shared not only with Romans but with
Lutherans and East Orthodox, that the presence of the Body and Blood of
Christ in the Sacrament is a real and objective presence. However, he was
eloquent and firm in saying: "The gestures and practices by which we
recognize the presence of Christ do not matter. Only Christ matters."
In 1874 he was elected Bishop of Wisconsin, and in 1875 Bishop of Illinois,
but because he was "controversial" he failed both times to have his election
ratified by a majority of Bishops and a majority of Standing Committees of
Dioceses, as required by canon law. He died at his college in Racine,
Wisconsin, on 22 March 1879. [James Kiefer]