OREMUS: 20 March 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Mar 19 20:32:54 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Tuesday, March 20, 2007
Cuthbert, Bishop of Lindisfarne, Missionary, 687

Blessed are you, God, rich in mercy,
you so loved the world
that when we were dead in our sins,
Lifted up from the earth,
he is light and life;
exalted upon the cross,
he is truth and salvation.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 5

Give ear to my words, O Lord;*
 consider my meditation.
Hearken to my cry for help, my King and my God,*
 for I make my prayer to you.
In the morning, Lord, you hear my voice;*
 early in the morning I make my appeal
   and watch for you.
For you are not a God who takes pleasure in wickedness*
 and evil cannot dwell with you.
Braggarts cannot stand in your sight;*
 you hate all those who work wickedness.
You destroy those who speak lies;*
 the bloodthirsty and deceitful, O Lord, you abhor.
But as for me, through the greatness of your mercy,
   I will go into your house;*
 I will bow down towards your holy temple in awe of you.
Lead me, O Lord, in your righteousness,
   because of those who lie in wait for me;*
 make your way straight before me.
For there is no truth in their mouth;*
 there is destruction in their heart;
Their throat is an open grave;*
 they flatter with their tongue.
Declare them guilty, O God;*
 let them fall, because of their schemes.
Because of their many transgressions cast them out,*
 for they have rebelled against you.
But all who take refuge in you will be glad;*
 they will sing out their joy for ever.
You will shelter them,*
 so that those who love your name may exult in you.
For you, O Lord, will bless the righteous;*
 you will defend them with your favour as with a shield.

Psalm 23

The Lord is my shepherd;*
 I shall not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures*
 and leads me beside still waters.
He revives my soul*
 and guides me along right pathways for his name's sake.
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
   I shall fear no evil;*
 for you are with me;
   your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
You spread a table before me
   in the presence of those who trouble me;*
 you have anointed my head with oil,
   and my cup is running over.
Surely your goodness and mercy shall follow me
   all the days of my life,*
 and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

A Song of the Blessed (Matthew 5:3-10)
Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are those who mourn,
for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek,
for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are those who hunger
and thirst after righteousness,
for they shall be satisfied.

Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called children of God.

Blessed are those who suffer persecution
for righteousness' sake,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

FIRST READING [Leviticus 25:1-19]:

The Lord spoke to Moses on Mount Sinai, saying: Speak to
the people of Israel and say to them: When you enter the
land that I am giving you, the land shall observe a
sabbath for the Lord. For six years you shall sow your
field, and for six years you shall prune your vineyard,
and gather in their yield; but in the seventh year there
shall be a sabbath of complete rest for the land, a
sabbath for the Lord: you shall not sow your field or
prune your vineyard. You shall not reap the aftergrowth
of your harvest or gather the grapes of your unpruned
vine: it shall be a year of complete rest for the land.
You may eat what the land yields during its sabbath you,
your male and female slaves, your hired and your bound
labourers who live with you; for your livestock also, and
for the wild animals in your land all its yield shall be
for food.
You shall count off seven weeks of years, seven times
seven years, so that the period of seven weeks of years
gives forty-nine years. Then you shall have the trumpet
sounded loud; on the tenth day of the seventh month on
the day of atonement you shall have the trumpet sounded
throughout all your land. And you shall hallow the
fiftieth year and you shall proclaim liberty throughout
the land to all its inhabitants. It shall be a jubilee
for you: you shall return, every one of you, to your
property and every one of you to your family. That
fiftieth year shall be a jubilee for you: you shall not
sow, or reap the aftergrowth, or harvest the unpruned
vines. For it is a jubilee; it shall be holy to you: you
shall eat only what the field itself produces.
In this year of jubilee you shall return, every one of
you, to your property. When you make a sale to your
neighbour or buy from your neighbour, you shall not cheat
one another. When you buy from your neighbour, you shall
pay only for the number of years since the jubilee; the
seller shall charge you only for the remaining
crop-years. If the years are more, you shall increase the
price, and if the years are fewer, you shall diminish the
price; for it is a certain number of harvests that are
being sold to you. You shall not cheat one another, but
you shall fear your God; for I am the Lord your God.
You shall observe my statutes and faithfully keep my
ordinances, so that you may live on the land securely.
The land will yield its fruit, and you will eat your fill
and live on it securely.

HYMN
Words: Jonathan Evans (1748-1809)
Tune: Bryn Calfaria, Regent Square
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h/h085.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h
/h085.html

Hark! the voice of love and mercy
sounds aloud from Calvary;
see, it rends the rocks asunder,
shakes the earth, and veils the sky:
'It is finished! 'It is finished!'
hear the dying Savior cry.

'It is finished! O what pleasure
do the wondrous words afford!
heavenly blessings without measure
flow to us from Christ the Lord:
'It is finished! 'It is finished!'
saints the dying words record.

Finished all the types and shadows
of the ceremonial law,
Finished all that God had promised;
death and hell no more shall awe;
'It is finished! 'It is finished!'
saint, from hence your comfort draw.

Saints and angels shout his praises,
his great finished work proclaim;
all on earth and all in heaven
join to bless Emmanuel's name:
Praise ye the Lord! Praise ye the Lord!
Endless glory to the Lamb!

SECOND READING [Revelation 19:9-10]:

And the angel said to me, 'Write this: Blessed are those who are invited to the
marriage supper of the Lamb.' And he said to me, 'These are true words of God.'
Then I fell down at his feet to worship him, but he said to me, 'You must not do that!
I am a fellow-servant with you and your comrades who hold the testimony of Jesus.
Worship God! For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.'

Show us your mercy, O Lord;
And grant us your salvation.

O Lord, save our nation;
And teach wisdom to those in authority.

Let your priests be clothed with righteousness;
Let your faithful people sing with joy.

Let your ways be known upon earth;
Your saving health among all nations.

Give your people the blessing of peace
And may all the earth be filled with your glory.

Create in us clean hearts, O God,
And renew a right spirit within us.

O God,
with you is the well of life,
and in your light we see light:
Quench our thirst with living water,
and flood our darkened minds with heavenly light;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Almighty God,
who called your servant Cuthbert from following the flock
to follow your Son and to be a shepherd of your people:
in your mercy, grant that we, following his example,
may bring those who are lost home to your fold;

May God give us
his comfort and his peace,
his light and his joy,
in this world and the next. Amen.

Cuthbert was born in Northumbria in northern England about 625. One night,
while tending a herd of sheep, he saw lights in the sky which he interpreted as a
soul being escorted heavenward by a band of angels. Later, he learned that
Aidan of Lindisfarne (31 August 651) had died that night, and he resolved to
enter the monastic life. He was a monk at Melrose Abbey from 651 to 664, and
when the Abbot, Eata, became abbot and bishop at Lindisfarne, Cuthbert
accompanied him and was Prior there until 676. Although he had been brought
up in the Celtic customs, he accepted the decrees of the Synod of Whitby in
663, which committed the English Church to following instead the Roman
customs that had been introduced into Canterbury by Augustine, and so he
helped to minimize contention over the decision. Although his real preference
was for the solitary life of a hermit, he recognized a duty to minister to the
needs of the people about him. Year after year he made long journeys, on
horseback and on foot, to Durham and throughout Northumbria, and in the
regions of Berwick and Galloway, preaching to the scattered population in
remote and sparsely settled areas, instructing them in the faith and encouraging
them in the practice of it, urging them in times of sickness not to rely on
charms or amulets, but to pray to God and put their trust in His mercy and
love. Like Francis of Assisi, he had a remarkable rapport with animals, both
wild and domestic.
Theodore, the Archbishop of Canterbury, made Cuthbert Bishop of Hexham,
but he was a solitary by nature, and promptly exchanged bishoprics with Eata
so as to remain at Lindisfarne. After two years, he retired to the neighboring
island of Farne as a hermit, and died there the following year. [James Kiefer]