OREMUS: 17 March 2007

Steve Benner oremus at insight.rr.com
Sat Mar 17 17:06:04 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Saturday, March 17, 2007
Patrick, Bishop, Missionary, Patron of Ireland, c

your steadfast love is shown to every living thing;
your word calls us forth and your law revives and refreshes.
You call us to repent our misuse of your gifts,
that we may be transformed by your wisdom
to manifest for others
the mercy of our crucified and risen Lord.

I will exalt you, O Lord,
    because you have lifted me up*
  and have not let my enemies triumph over me.
O Lord my God, I cried out to you,*
  and you restored me to health.
You brought me up, O Lord, from the dead;*
  you restored my life as I was going down to the grave.
Sing to the Lord, you servants of his;*
  give thanks for the remembrance of his holiness.
For his wrath endures but the twinkling of an eye,*
  his favour for a lifetime.
Weeping may spend the night,*
  but joy comes in the morning.
While I felt secure, I said,
    ‘I shall never be disturbed.*
  You, Lord, with your favour,
    made me as strong as the mountains.’
Then you hid your face,*
  and I was filled with fear.
I cried to you, O Lord;*
  I pleaded with the Lord, saying,
‘What profit is there in my blood,
    if I go down to the Pit?*
  will the dust praise you or declare your faithfulness?
‘Hear, O Lord, and have mercy upon me;*
  O Lord, be my helper.’
You have turned my wailing into dancing;*
  you have put off my sack-cloth and clothed me with joy;
Therefore my heart sings to you without ceasing;*
  O Lord my God, I will give you thanks for ever.

A Song of Christ the Servant (1 Peter 2.21b-25

Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example,
that you should follow in his steps.

He committed no sin, no guile was found on his lips,
when he was reviled, he did not revile in turn.

When he suffered, he did not threaten,
but he trusted himself to God who judges justly.

Christ himself bore our sins in his body on the tree,
that we might die to sin and live to righteousness.

By his wounds, you have been healed,
for you were straying like sheep,
but have now returned
cato the shepherd and guardian of your souls.

  and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Exodus 32:7-14]:

The Lord said to Moses, 'Go down at once! Your people, whom you brought up
out of the land of Egypt, have acted perversely; they have been quick to
turn aside from the way that I commanded them; they have cast for
themselves an image of a calf, and have worshipped it and sacrificed to it,
and said, "These are your gods, O Israel, who brought you up out of the
land of Egypt!" ' The Lord said to Moses, 'I have seen this people, how
stiff-necked they are. Now let me alone, so that my wrath may burn hot
against them and I may consume them; and of you I will make a great nation.'

But Moses implored the Lord his God, and said, 'O Lord, why does your wrath
burn hot against your people, whom you brought out of the land of Egypt
with great power and with a mighty hand? Why should the Egyptians say, "It
was with evil intent that he brought them out to kill them in the
mountains, and to consume them from the face of the earth"? Turn from your
fierce wrath; change your mind and do not bring disaster on your people.
Remember Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, your servants, how you swore to them
by your own self, saying to them, "I will multiply your descendants like
the stars of heaven, and all this land that I have promised I will give to
your descendants, and they shall inherit it for ever." ' And the Lord
changed his mind about the disaster that he planned to bring on his people.

HYMN
Words: attributed to St. Patrick (372-466);
trans. Cecil Frances Alexander (1818-1895), 1889
Tune: St. Patrick's Breastplate

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/i/i 024.html

I bind unto myself today
the strong Name of the Trinity,
by invocation of the same,
the Three in One, and One in Three.

I bind this day to me for ever,
by power of faith, Christ's Incarnation;
his baptism in Jordan river;
his death on cross for my salvation;
his bursting from the spic d tomb;
his riding up the heavenly way;
his coming at the day of doom:
I bind unto myself today.

I bind unto myself the power
of the great love of cherubim;
the sweet "Well done" in judgment hour;
the service of the seraphim;
confessors' faith, apostles' word,
the patriarchs' prayers, the prophets' scrolls;
all good deeds done unto the Lord,
and purity of virgin souls.

I bind unto myself today
the virtues of the starlit heaven
the glorious sun's life-giving ray,
the whiteness of the moon at even,
the flashing of the lightning free,
the whirling wind's tempestuous shocks,
the stable earth, the deep salt sea,
around the old eternal rocks.

I bind unto myself today
the power of God to hold and lead,
his eye to watch, his might to stay,
his ear to hearken, to my need;
the wisdom of my God to teach,
his hand to guide, his shield to ward;
the word of God to give me speech,
his heavenly host to be my guard.

Christ be with me,
Christ within me,
Christ behind me,
Christ before me,
Christ beside me,
Christ to win me,
Christ to comfort
and restore me.
Christ beneath me,
Christ above me,
Christ in quiet,
Christ in danger,
Christ in hearts of
all that love me,
Christ in mouth of
friend and stranger.

I bind unto myself today
the strong Name of the Trinity,
by invocation of the same,
the Three in One, and One in Three.
Of whom all nature hath creation,
eternal Father, Spirit, Word:
praise to the Lord of my salvation,
salvation is of Christ the Lord.

SECOND READING [Luke 15:1-10]:

Now all the tax-collectors and sinners were coming near to listen to him.
And the Pharisees and the scribes were grumbling and saying, 'This fellow
welcomes sinners and eats with them.'

So he told them this parable: 'Which one of you, having a hundred sheep and
losing one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness and go
after the one that is lost until he finds it? When he has found it, he lays
it on his shoulders and rejoices. And when he comes home, he calls together
his friends and neighbours, saying to them, "Rejoice with me, for I have
found my sheep that was lost." Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy
in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous
people who need no repentance.

'Or what woman having ten silver coins, if she loses one of them, does not
light a lamp, sweep the house, and search carefully until she finds it?
When she has found it, she calls together her friends and neighbours,
saying, "Rejoice with me, for I have found the coin that I had lost." Just
so, I tell you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one
sinner who repents.'

The Benedictus (Morning), the Magnificat (Evening), or Nunc dimittis
(Night) may follow.

Prayer:
Send forth your strength, O God,
Establish what you have wrought in us.

Uphold all those who fall
And raise up those who are bowed down.

Open the eyes of the blind
And set the prisoners free.

Sustain the orphan and widow
And give food to those who hunger.

Grant them the joy of your help again
And sustain them with your Spirit.

O Lord, judge the peoples
And take all nations for your own.

For your Church, O Lord, we pray, especially
the Diocese of Brechin, Scotland
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

God our Father,
glorious in giving and restoring life,
do not hide your face from your people
overcome with loneliness and fear;
turn our mourning into dancing
and raise us up with your Son,
that we may rejoice in your presence for ever. Amen.

Almighty God,
who in your providence chose your servant Patrick
to be the apostle of the Irish people:
keep alive in us the fire of the faith he kindled
and strengthen us in our pilgrimage
towards the light of everlasting life;

God of love,
turn our hearts to your ways;
and give us peace. Amen.

The psalms and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from Celebrating
Common Prayer (Mowbray), © The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is used
with permission.

The canticle is from Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition,
copyright © The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Edition), copyright © 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian Education of
the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by
permission. All rights reserved.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving adapts phrases from Opening Prayers:
Collects in Contemporary Language. Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The closing sentence is from New Patterns for Worship, copyright © The
Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The second collect is from Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the
Church of England, material from which is included in this service is
copyright © The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

Patrick was born about 390, in southwest Britain, somewhere between the
Severn and the Clyde rivers, son of a deacon and grandson of a priest. When
about sixteen years old, he was kidnapped by Irish pirates and sold into
slavery in Ireland. Until this time, he had, by his own account, cared
nothing for God, but now he turned to God for help. After six years, he
either escaped or was freed, made his way to a port 200 miles away, and
there persuaded some sailors to take him onto their ship. He returned to
his family much changed, and began to prepare for the priesthood, and to
study the Bible.

Around 435, Patrick was commissioned, perhaps by bishops in Gaul and
perhaps by the Pope, to go to Ireland as a bishop and missionary. Four
years earlier another bishop, Palladius, had gone to Ireland to preach, but
he was no longer there (my sources disagree on whether he had died, or had
become discouraged and left Ireland to preach in Scotland). Patrick made
his headquarters at Armagh in the North, where he built a school, and had
the protection of the local monarch. From this base he made extensive
missionary journeys, with considerable success. To say that he
single-handedly turned Ireland from a pagan to a Christian country is an
exaggeration, but is not far from the truth.

Almost everything we know about him comes from his own writings, available
in English in the Ancient Christian Writers series. He has left us an
autobiography (called the Confession), a Letter to Coroticus in which he
denounces the slave trade and rebukes the British chieftain Coroticus for
taking part in it, and the Lorica (or "Breastplate" a poem of disputed
authorship traditionally attributed to Patrick), a work that has been
called "part prayer, part anthem, and part incantation." [James Kiefer,
abridged]