OREMUS: 16 March 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Mar 15 21:19:28 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Friday, March 16, 2007

your steadfast love is shown to every living thing;
your word calls us forth and your law revives and refreshes.
You call us to repent our misuse of your gifts,
that we may be transformed by your wisdom
to manifest for others
the mercy of our crucified and risen Lord.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 51

Have mercy on me, O God,
   according to your loving-kindness;*
 in your great compassion blot out my offences.
Wash me through and through from my wickedness*
 and cleanse me from my sin.
For I know my transgressions,*
 and my sin is ever before me.
Against you only have I sinned*
 and done what is evil in your sight.
And so you are justified when you speak*
 and upright in your judgement.
Indeed, I have been wicked from my birth,*
 a sinner from my mother's womb.
For behold, you look for truth deep within me,*
 and will make me understand wisdom secretly.
Purge me from my sin and I shall be pure;*
 wash me and I shall be clean indeed.
Make me hear of joy and gladness,*
 that the body you have broken may rejoice.
Hide your face from my sins*
 and blot out all my iniquities.
Create in me a clean heart, O God,*
 and renew a right spirit within me.
Cast me not away from your presence*
 and take not your holy Spirit from me.
Give me the joy of your saving help again*
 and sustain me with your bountiful Spirit.
I shall teach your ways to the wicked,*
 and sinners shall return to you.
Deliver me from death, O God,*
 and my tongue shall sing of your righteousness,
   O God of my salvation.
Open my lips, O Lord,*
 and my mouth shall proclaim your praise.
Had you desired it, I would have offered sacrifice,*
 but you take no delight in burnt-offerings.
The sacrifice of God is a troubled spirit;*
 a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.
Be favourable and gracious to Zion,*
 and rebuild the walls of Jerusalem.
Then you will be pleased with the appointed sacrifices,
   with burnt-offerings and oblations;*
 then shall they offer young bullocks upon your altar.

A Song of Christ the Servant (1 Peter 2.21b-25

Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example,
that you should follow in his steps.

He committed no sin, no guile was found on his lips,
when he was reviled, he did not revile in turn.

When he suffered, he did not threaten,
but he trusted himself to God who judges justly.

Christ himself bore our sins in his body on the tree,
that we might die to sin and live to righteousness.

By his wounds, you have been healed,
for you were straying like sheep,
but have now returned
cato the shepherd and guardian of your souls.

FIRST READING [Joshua 4:14-24]:

On that day the Lord exalted Joshua in the sight of all
Israel; and they stood in awe of him, as they had stood
in awe of Moses, all the days of his life.
The Lord said to Joshua, 'Command the priests who bear
the ark of the covenant to come up out of the Jordan.'
Joshua therefore commanded the priests, 'Come up out of
the Jordan.' When the priests bearing the ark of the
covenant of the Lord came up from the middle of the
Jordan, and the soles of the priests' feet touched dry
ground, the waters of the Jordan returned to their place
and overflowed all its banks, as before.
The people came up out of the Jordan on the tenth day of
the first month, and they camped in Gilgal on the eastern
border of Jericho. Those twelve stones, which they had
taken out of the Jordan, Joshua set up in Gilgal, saying
to the Israelites, 'When your children ask their parents
in time to come, "What do these stones mean?" then you
shall let your children know, "Israel crossed over the
Jordan here on dry ground." For the Lord your God dried
up the waters of the Jordan for you until you crossed
over, as the Lord your God did to the Red Sea, which he
dried up for us until we crossed over, so that all the
peoples of the earth may know that the hand of the Lord
is mighty, and so that you may fear the Lord your God for
ever.'

HYMN
Words: William Walsham How, 1876
Tune: North Coates
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o505.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o
/o505.html

O my Savior, lifted
from the earth for me,
draw me, in thy mercy,
nearer unto thee.

Lift my earth-bound longings,
fix them, Lord, above;
draw me with the magnet
of thy mighty love.

Lord, thine arms are stretching
ever far and wide,
to enfold thy children
to thy loving side.

And I come, O Jesus:
dare I turn away?
No, thy love hath conquered,
and I come today.

Bringing all my burdens,
sorrow, sin and care,
at thy feet I lay them,
and I leave them there.

SECOND READING [2 Corinthians 5:6-15]:

So we are always confident; even though we know that while we are at home in the
body we are away from the Lord  for we walk by faith, not by sight. Yes, we do
have confidence, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the
Lord. So whether we are at home or away, we make it our aim to please him. For all
of us must appear before the judgement seat of Christ, so that each may receive
recompense for what has been done in the body, whether good or evil.
Therefore, knowing the fear of the Lord, we try to persuade others; but we ourselves
are well known to God, and I hope that we are also well known to your consciences.
We are not commending ourselves to you again, but giving you an opportunity to
boast about us, so that you may be able to answer those who boast in outward
appearance and not in the heart. For if we are beside ourselves, it is for God; if we are
in our right mind, it is for you. For the love of Christ urges us on, because we are
convinced that one has died for all; therefore all have died. And he died for all, so that
those who live might live no longer for themselves, but for him who died and was
raised for them.

 Gracious God and Father,
you have given your Son for us all,
that his death might be our life
and his affliction our peace.

We pray for the suffering...
the hungry....
the refugees....
the prisoners....
the persecuted....
all who bring sin and suffering to others....
ministries of care and relief....
the Church in all its work...

Gracious God and Father, we give you thanks

for the cross of Christ at the heart of creation,
the presence of Christ in our weakness and strength,
the power of Christ to transform our suffering....

for all ministries of healing,
all agencies of relief,
all that sets men free from pain, fear and distress....

for the assurance that your mercy knows no limit,
and for the privilege of sharing
your work of renewal through prayer.

In darkness and in light,
in trouble and in joy,
help us to trust your love, to serve your purpose
and to praise your name;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

O God,
you know us to be set in the midst
of so many and great dangers,
that by reason of the frailty of our nature
we cannot always stand upright:
Grant us such strength and protection
as may support us in all dangers,
and carry us through all temptations;