OREMUS: 15 March 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Mar 14 21:11:23 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Thursday, March 15, 2007

your steadfast love is shown to every living thing;
your word calls us forth and your law revives and refreshes.
You call us to repent our misuse of your gifts,
that we may be transformed by your wisdom
to manifest for others
the mercy of our crucified and risen Lord.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 27

The Lord is my light and my salvation;
   whom then shall I fear?*
 the Lord is the strength of my life;
   of whom then shall I be afraid?
When evildoers came upon me to eat up my flesh,*
 it was they, my foes and my adversaries,
   who stumbled and fell.
Though an army should encamp against me,*
 yet my heart shall not be afraid;
And though war should rise up against me,*
 yet will I put my trust in him.
One thing have I asked of the Lord;
   one thing I seek;*
 that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
   all the days of my life;
To behold the fair beauty of the Lord*
 and to seek him in his temple.
For in the day of trouble
   he shall keep me safe in his shelter;*
 he shall hide me in the secrecy of his dwelling
   and set me high upon a rock.
Even now he lifts up my head*
 above my enemies round about me;
Therefore I will offer in his dwelling an oblation
   with sounds of great gladness;*
 I will sing and make music to the Lord.
Hearken to my voice, O Lord, when I call;*
 have mercy on me and answer me.
You speak in my heart and say, 'Seek my face.'*
 Your face, Lord, will I seek.
Hide not your face from me,*
 nor turn away your servant in displeasure.
You have been my helper;
   cast me not away;*
 do not forsake me, O God of my salvation.
Though my father and my mother forsake me,*
 the Lord will sustain me.
Show me your way, O Lord;*
 lead me on a level path, because of my enemies.
Deliver me not into the hand of my adversaries,*
 for false witnesses have risen up against me,
   and also those who speak malice.
What if I had not believed
   that I should see the goodness of the Lord*
 in the land of the living!
O tarry and await the Lord's pleasure;
   be strong and he shall comfort your heart;*
 wait patiently for the Lord.

A Song of Christ the Servant (1 Peter 2.21b-25

Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example,
that you should follow in his steps.

He committed no sin, no guile was found on his lips,
when he was reviled, he did not revile in turn.

When he suffered, he did not threaten,
but he trusted himself to God who judges justly.

Christ himself bore our sins in his body on the tree,
that we might die to sin and live to righteousness.

By his wounds, you have been healed,
for you were straying like sheep,
but have now returned
cato the shepherd and guardian of your souls.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [Joshua 4:1-13]:

When the entire nation had finished crossing over the
Jordan, the Lord said to Joshua: 'Select twelve men from
the people, one from each tribe, and command them, "Take
twelve stones from here out of the middle of the Jordan,
from the place where the priests' feet stood, carry them
over with you, and lay them down in the place where you
camp tonight." ' Then Joshua summoned the twelve men from
the Israelites, whom he had appointed, one from each
tribe. Joshua said to them, 'Pass on before the ark of
the Lord your God into the middle of the Jordan, and each
of you take up a stone on his shoulder, one for each of
the tribes of the Israelites, so that this may be a sign
among you. When your children ask in time to come, "What
do those stones mean to you?" then you shall tell them
that the waters of the Jordan were cut off in front of
the ark of the covenant of the Lord. When it crossed over
the Jordan, the waters of the Jordan were cut off. So
these stones shall be to the Israelites a memorial for
ever.'
The Israelites did as Joshua commanded. They took up
twelve stones out of the middle of the Jordan, according
to the number of the tribes of the Israelites, as the
Lord told Joshua, carried them over with them to the
place where they camped, and laid them down there.
(Joshua set up twelve stones in the middle of the Jordan,
in the place where the feet of the priests bearing the
ark of the covenant had stood; and they are there to this
day.)
The priests who bore the ark remained standing in the
middle of the Jordan, until everything was finished that
the Lord commanded Joshua to tell the people, according
to all that Moses had commanded Joshua. The people
crossed over in haste. As soon as all the people had
finished crossing over, the ark of the Lord, and the
priests, crossed over in front of the people. The
Reubenites, the Gadites, and the half-tribe of Manasseh
crossed over armed before the Israelites, as Moses had
ordered them. About forty thousand armed for war crossed
over before the Lord to the plains of Jericho for battle.

HYMN
Words: Frans Mikael Fran n, 1812;
trans. Augustus Nelson (1863-1949)
Tune: Bereden v g f"r Herran
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/p/p127.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/p
/p127.html

Prepare the way, O Zion!
Ye awful deeps, rise high;
sink low, ye towering mountains,
the Lord is drawing nigh;
the righteous King of glory,
foretold in sacred story.

Refrain:
O blest is he that came
in God the Father's Name.

O Zion, he approacheth,
thy Lord and King for aye!
Strew palms where he advanceth,
spread garments in his way.
God's promise faileth never,
Hosanna sound forever! Refrain

Fling wide thy portals, Zion
and hail thy glorious King;
his tidings of salvation
to every people bring,
who, waiting yet in sadness,
would sing his praise in gladness. Refrain

SECOND READING [2 Corinthians 4:16 5:5]:

So we do not lose heart. Even though our outer nature is wasting away, our inner
nature is being renewed day by day. For this slight momentary affliction is preparing us
for an eternal weight of glory beyond all measure, because we look not at what can be
seen but at what cannot be seen; for what can be seen is temporary, but what cannot
be seen is eternal.
For we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from
God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. For in this tent we groan,
longing to be clothed with our heavenly dwelling  if indeed, when we have taken it
off we will not be found naked. For while we are still in this tent, we groan under our
burden, because we wish not to be unclothed but to be further clothed, so that what is
mortal may be swallowed up by life. He who has prepared us for this very thing is
God, who has given us the Spirit as a guarantee.

Eternal God,
you have raised Jesus Christ from the dead
and exalted him to your right hand in glory,
and through him called your Church into being,
that your people might know you,
and that they might make your name known.

We pray for the church
the Church universal, and local....
the unity of the Church....
the ministries of the Church....
the mission of the Church....
the renewal of the Church....
all Christians in this place....

Eternal God, we give you thanks

for the apostolic gospel committed to your Church,
the continuing presence and power of your Spirit,
the ministry of Word, Sacrament and Prayer....

for the divine mission in which we are called to share,
the will to unity and its fruit in common action,
the faithful witness of those who are true to Christ....

for all works of compassion
and every service that proclaims your love.

In peace and unity
may your people offer the unfailing sacrifice of praise,
and make your glory known;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Keep watch over your Church, O Lord, with your unfailing love;
and, since it is grounded in human weakness
and cannot maintain itself without your aid,
protect it from all danger, and keep it in the way of salvation;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

God of love,
turn our hearts to your ways;
and give us peace. Amen.