OREMUS: 14 March 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Mar 13 21:07:24 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Wednesday, March 14, 2007

your steadfast love is shown to every living thing;
your word calls us forth and your law revives and refreshes.
You call us to repent our misuse of your gifts,
that we may be transformed by your wisdom
to manifest for others
the mercy of our crucified and risen Lord.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 90

Lord, you have been our refuge*
 from one generation to another.
Before the mountains were brought forth,
   or the land and the earth were born,*
 from age to age you are God.
You turn us back to the dust and say,*
 'Go back, O child of earth.'
For a thousand years in your sight
   are like yesterday when it is past*
 and like a watch in the night.
You sweep us away like a dream;*
 we fade away suddenly like the grass.
In the morning it is green and flourishes;*
 in the evening it is dried up and withered.
For we consume away in your displeasure;*
 we are afraid because of your wrathful indignation.
Our iniquities you have set before you,*
 and our secret sins in the light of your countenance.
When you are angry, all our days are gone;*
 we bring our years to an end like a sigh.
The span of our life is seventy years,
   perhaps in strength even eighty;*
 yet the sum of them is but labour and sorrow,
   for they pass away quickly and we are gone.
Who regards the power of your wrath?*
 who rightly fears your indignation?
So teach us to number our days*
 that we may apply our hearts to wisdom.
Return, O Lord; how long will you tarry?*
 be gracious to your servants.
Satisfy us by your loving-kindness in the morning;*
 so shall we rejoice and be glad all the days of our life.
Make us glad by the measure of the days
   that you afflicted us*
 and the years in which we suffered adversity.
Show your servants your works*
 and your splendour to their children.
May the graciousness of the Lord our God be upon us;*
 prosper the work of our hands;
   prosper our handiwork.

A Song of the Word of the Lord (Isaiah 55:6-11)

Seek the Lord while he may be found,
call upon him while he is near;

Let the wicked abandon their ways,
and the unrighteous their thoughts;

Return to the Lord,
who will have mercy;
to our God, who will richly pardon.

'For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways', says the Lord.

'For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.

'As the rain and the snow come down from above,
and return not again but water the earth,

'Bringing forth life and giving growth,
seed for sowing and bread to eat,

'So is my word that goes forth from my mouth;
it will not return to me fruitless,

'But it will accomplish that which I purpose,
and succeed in the task I gave it.'

Psalm 147:13-end

Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [Numbers 13:17-27]:

Moses sent them to spy out the land of Canaan, and said
to them, 'Go up there into the Negeb, and go up into the
hill country, and see what the land is like, and whether
the people who live in it are strong or weak, whether
they are few or many, and whether the land they live in
is good or bad, and whether the towns that they live in
are unwalled or fortified, and whether the land is rich
or poor, and whether there are trees in it or not. Be
bold, and bring some of the fruit of the land.' Now it
was the season of the first ripe grapes.
So they went up and spied out the land from the
wilderness of Zin to Rehob, near Lebo-hamath. They went
up into the Negeb, and came to Hebron; and Ahiman,
Sheshai, and Talmai, the Anakites, were there. (Hebron
was built seven years before Zoan in Egypt.) And they
came to the Wadi Eshcol, and cut down from there a branch
with a single cluster of grapes, and they carried it on a
pole between two of them. They also brought some
pomegranates and figs. That place was called the Wadi
Eshcol, because of the cluster that the Israelites cut
down from there.
At the end of forty days they returned from spying out
the land. And they came to Moses and Aaron and to all the
congregation of the Israelites in the wilderness of
Paran, at Kadesh; they brought back word to them and to
all the congregation, and showed them the fruit of the
land. And they told him, 'We came to the land to which
you sent us; it flows with milk and honey, and this is
its fruit.

HYMN
Words: William Cowper, 1772
Tune: Caithness, Stracathro, Beatitudo, Martyrdom
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o135.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o
/o135.html

O for a closer walk with God,
a calm and heavenly frame,
a light to shine upon the road
that leads me to the Lamb!

Where is the blessedness I knew
when first I saw the Lord?
Where is the soul-refreshing view
of Jesus and his word?

Return, O holy Dove, return,
sweet messenger of rest;
I hate the sins that made thee mourn,
and drove thee from my breast.

The dearest idol I have known,
whate'er that idol be,
help me to tear it from thy throne,
and worship only thee.

So shall my walk be close with God,
calm and serene my frame;
so purer light shall mark the road
that leads me to the Lamb.

SECOND READING [Luke 13:18-21]:

Jesus said, 'What is the kingdom of God like? And to what should I compare it? It is
like a mustard seed that someone took and sowed in the garden; it grew and became a
tree, and the birds of the air made nests in its branches.'
And again he said, 'To what should I compare the kingdom of God? It is like yeast
that a woman took and mixed in with three measures of flour until all of it was
leavened.'

Holy Father,
you have reconciled us to yourself in Christ;
by your Spirit
you enable us to live as your children.

We pray for personal relationships
the home, and family life....
children deprived of home....
friends, relations and neighbours....
relationships in daily life and work....
those who are estranged....
ministries of care and healing...

Holy Father, we give you thanks
for the obedience of Christ fulfilled in the cross,
his bearing of the sin of the world,
his mercy for the world, which never fails....

for the joy of human love and friendship,
the lives to which our own are bound,
the gift of peace with you and each other....

for the communities in whose life we share
and all relationships
in which reconciliation may be known....

Help us to share in Christ's ministry
and to love and serve one another in peace;
through the same Jesus Christ our Lord,
who in the unity of the Spirit
is one with you for ever. Amen.

Give ear to our prayers, O Lord,
and direct the way of your servants in safety under your protection,
that, amid all the changes of our earthly pilgrimage,
we may be guarded by your mighty aid;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

God of love,
turn our hearts to your ways;