OREMUS: 12 March 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Mar 11 18:11:20 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Monday, March 12, 2007

your steadfast love is shown to every living thing;
your word calls us forth and your law revives and refreshes.
You call us to repent our misuse of your gifts,
that we may be transformed by your wisdom
to manifest for others
the mercy of our crucified and risen Lord.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 102

Lord, hear my prayer and let my cry come before you;*
 hide not your face from me in the day of my trouble.
Incline your ear to me;*
 when I call, make haste to answer me,
For my days drift away like smoke,*
 and my bones are hot as burning coals.
My heart is smitten like grass and withered,*
 so that I forget to eat my bread.
Because of the voice of my groaning*
 I am but skin and bones.
I have become like a vulture in the wilderness,*
 like an owl among the ruins.
I lie awake and groan;*
 I am like a sparrow, lonely on a house-top.
My enemies revile me all day long,*
 and those who scoff at me
   have taken an oath against me.
For I have eaten ashes for bread*
 and mingled my drink with weeping.
Because of your indignation and wrath*
 you have lifted me up and thrown me away.
My days pass away like a shadow,*
 and I wither like the grass.
But you, O Lord, endure for ever,*
 and your name from age to age.
You will arise and have compassion on Zion,
   for it is time to have mercy upon her;*
 indeed, the appointed time has come.
For your servants love her very rubble,*
 and are moved to pity even for her dust.
The nations shall fear your name, O Lord,*
 and all the kings of the earth your glory.
For the Lord will build up Zion,*
 and his glory will appear.
He will look with favour on the prayer of the homeless;*
 he will not despise their plea.
Let this be written for a future generation,*
 so that a people yet unborn may praise the Lord.
For the Lord looked down from his holy place on high;*
 from the heavens he beheld the earth;
That he might hear the groan of the captive*
 and set free those condemned to die;
That they may declare in Zion the name of the Lord,*
 and his praise in Jerusalem;
When the peoples are gathered together,*
 and the kingdoms also, to serve the Lord.
He has brought down my strength before my time;*
 he has shortened the number of my days;
And I said, 'O my God,
   do not take me away in the midst of my days;*
 your years endure throughout all generations.
'In the beginning, O Lord,
   you laid the foundations of the earth,*
 and the heavens are the work of your hands;
'They shall perish, but you will endure;
   they all shall wear out like a garment;*
 as clothing you will change them,
   and they shall be changed;
'But you are always the same,*
 and your years will never end.
'The children of your servants shall continue,*
 and their offspring shall stand fast in your sight.'

A Song of Humility (Hosea 6:1-6)

Come, let us return to the Lord
who has torn us and will heal us.

God has stricken us
and will bind up our wounds.

After two days, he will revive us,
and on the third day will raise us up,
that we may live in his presence.

Let us strive to know the Lord;
his appearing is as sure as the sunrise.

He will come to us like the showers,
like the spring rains that water the earth.

'O Ephraim, how shall I deal with you?
How shall I deal with you, O Judah?

'Your love for me is like the morning mist,
like the dew that goes early away.

'Therefore, I have hewn them by the prophets,
and my judgement goes forth as the light.

'For loyalty is my desire and not sacrifice,
and the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings.'

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Jeremiah 11:1-17]:

The word that came to Jeremiah from the Lord: Hear the
words of this covenant, and speak to the people of Judah
and the inhabitants of Jerusalem. You shall say to them,
Thus says the Lord, the God of Israel: Cursed be anyone
who does not heed the words of this covenant, which I
commanded your ancestors when I brought them out of the
land of Egypt, from the iron-smelter, saying, Listen to
my voice, and do all that I command you. So shall you be
my people, and I will be your God, that I may perform the
oath that I swore to your ancestors, to give them a land
flowing with milk and honey, as at this day. Then I
answered, 'So be it, Lord.'
And the Lord said to me: Proclaim all these words in the
cities of Judah, and in the streets of Jerusalem: Hear
the words of this covenant and do them. For I solemnly
warned your ancestors when I brought them up out of the
land of Egypt, warning them persistently, even to this
day, saying, Obey my voice. Yet they did not obey or
incline their ear, but everyone walked in the
stubbornness of an evil will. So I brought upon them all
the words of this covenant, which I commanded them to do,
but they did not.
And the Lord said to me: Conspiracy exists among the
people of Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem. They
have turned back to the iniquities of their ancestors of
old, who refused to heed my words; they have gone after
other gods to serve them; the house of Israel and the
house of Judah have broken the covenant that I made with
their ancestors. Therefore, thus says the Lord, assuredly
I am going to bring disaster upon them that they cannot
escape; though they cry out to me, I will not listen to
them. Then the cities of Judah and the inhabitants of
Jerusalem will go and cry out to the gods to whom they
make offerings, but they will never save them in the time
of their trouble. For your gods have become as many as
your towns, O Judah; and as many as the streets of
Jerusalem are the altars to shame that you have set up,
altars to make offerings to Baal.
As for you, do not pray for this people, or lift up a cry
or prayer on their behalf, for I will not listen when
they call to me in the time of their trouble. What right
has my beloved in my house, when she has done vile deeds?
Can vows and sacrificial flesh avert your doom? Can you
then exult? The Lord once called you, 'A green olive
tree, fair with goodly fruit'; but with the roar of a
great tempest he will set fire to it, and its branches
will be consumed. The Lord of hosts, who planted you, has
pronounced evil against you, because of the evil that the
house of Israel and the house of Judah have done,
provoking me to anger by making offerings to Baal.

HYMN
Words: Carl P. Daw, Jr. (c)
Tune: Southwell
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/r/r046.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/r/r
046.html

Restore in us, O God,
the splendor of your love;
renew your image in our hearts,
and all our sins remove.

O Spirit, wake in us
the wonder of your power;
from fruitless fear unfurl our lives
like springtime bud and flower.

Bring us, O Christ, to share
the fullness of your joy;
baptize us in the risen life
that death cannot destroy.

Three-personed God, fulfill
the promise of your grace,
that we, when our searching ends,
may see you face to face.

SECOND READING [Romans 2:1-11]:

Therefore you have no excuse, whoever you are, when you judge others; for in passing
judgement on another you condemn yourself, because you, the judge, are doing the
very same things. You say, 'We know that God's judgement on those who do such
things is in accordance with truth.' Do you imagine, whoever you are, that when you
judge those who do such things and yet do them yourself, you will escape the
judgement of God? Or do you despise the riches of his kindness and forbearance and
patience? Do you not realize that God's kindness is meant to lead you to repentance?
But by your hard and impenitent heart you are storing up wrath for yourself on the day
of wrath, when God's righteous judgement will be revealed. For he will repay
according to each one's deeds: to those who by patiently doing good seek for glory
and honour and immortality, he will give eternal life; while for those who are
self-seeking and who obey not the truth but wickedness, there will be wrath and fury.
There will be anguish and distress for everyone who does evil, the Jew first and also
the Greek, but glory and honour and peace for everyone who does good, the Jew first
and also the Greek. For God shows no partiality.

maker of all good things and Father of all;
you have shown us in Christ the purpose of your creation
and call us to be responsible in the world.

We pray for the world
all the nations....
our own country....
those in authority....
the peace of the world....
racial harmony....
those who maintain order....

Almighty God, we give you thanks
for the order of created things
the resources of the earth
and the gift of human life....

for the continuing work of creation,
man's share in it,
and for creative vision and inventive skill....

for your faithfulness to man in patience and in love,
and for every human response of obedience
and humble achievement....

May we delight in your purpose
and work to bring all things to their true end;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Look upon the heart-felt desires
of your humble servants, Almighty God,
and stretch forth the right hand of your majesty
to be our defense against all our enemies;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

God of love,
turn our hearts to your ways;
and give us peace. Amen.