OREMUS: 9 March 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Mar 8 22:16:46 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Friday, March 9, 2007
Geoffrey Studdert Kennedy, Priest, Poet, 1929

you accepted the sacrifice of your Son,
who have himself up for the sake of all.
You train us by his teaching
and school us in his obedience,
that as we walk his way of sacrifice,
we may come to share in your glory.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 51

Have mercy on me, O God,
   according to your loving-kindness;*
 in your great compassion blot out my offences.
Wash me through and through from my wickedness*
 and cleanse me from my sin.
For I know my transgressions,*
 and my sin is ever before me.
Against you only have I sinned*
 and done what is evil in your sight.
And so you are justified when you speak*
 and upright in your judgement.
Indeed, I have been wicked from my birth,*
 a sinner from my mother's womb.
For behold, you look for truth deep within me,*
 and will make me understand wisdom secretly.
Purge me from my sin and I shall be pure;*
 wash me and I shall be clean indeed.
Make me hear of joy and gladness,*
 that the body you have broken may rejoice.
Hide your face from my sins*
 and blot out all my iniquities.
Create in me a clean heart, O God,*
 and renew a right spirit within me.
Cast me not away from your presence*
 and take not your holy Spirit from me.
Give me the joy of your saving help again*
 and sustain me with your bountiful Spirit.
I shall teach your ways to the wicked,*
 and sinners shall return to you.
Deliver me from death, O God,*
 and my tongue shall sing of your righteousness,
   O God of my salvation.
Open my lips, O Lord,*
 and my mouth shall proclaim your praise.
Had you desired it, I would have offered sacrifice,*
 but you take no delight in burnt-offerings.
The sacrifice of God is a troubled spirit;*
 a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.
Be favourable and gracious to Zion,*
 and rebuild the walls of Jerusalem.
Then you will be pleased with the appointed sacrifices,
   with burnt-offerings and oblations;*
 then shall they offer young bullocks upon your altar.

A Song of Christ the Servant (1 Peter 2.21b-25

Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example,
that you should follow in his steps.

He committed no sin, no guile was found on his lips,
when he was reviled, he did not revile in turn.

When he suffered, he did not threaten,
but he trusted himself to God who judges justly.

Christ himself bore our sins in his body on the tree,
that we might die to sin and live to righteousness.

By his wounds, you have been healed,
for you were straying like sheep,
but have now returned
cato the shepherd and guardian of your souls.

FIRST READING [Daniel 12:1-4]:

‘At that time Michael, the great prince, the protector of your people, shall arise. There shall be a
time of anguish, such as has never occurred since nations first came into existence. But at that
time your people shall be delivered, everyone who is found written in the book. Many of those
who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and
everlasting contempt. Those who are wise shall shine like the brightness of the sky, and those who
lead many to righteousness, like the stars for ever and ever. But you, Daniel, keep the words
secret and the book sealed until the time of the end. Many shall be running back and forth, and
evil shall increase.'

HYMN
Words: Geoffrey Anketel Studdert-Kennedy
Tune: Morning Song
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/n/n057.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/n/n057.html

Not here for high and holy things
we render thanks to thee,
but for the common things of earth,
the purple pageantry
of dawning and of dying days,
the splendor of the sea,

the royal robes of autumn moors,
the golden gates of spring,
the velvet of soft summer nights,
the silver glistering
of all the million million stars,
the silent song they sing,

of faith and hope and love undimmed,
undying still through death,
the resurrection of the world,
what time there comes the breath
of dawn that rustles through the trees,
and that clear voice that saith:

Awake, awake to love and work!
The lark is in the sky,
the fields are wet with diamond dew,
the worlds awake to cry
their blessings on the Lord of life,
as he goes meekly by.

Come, let thy voice be one with theirs,
shout with their shout of praise;
see how the giant sun soars up,
great lord of years and days!
So let the love of Jesus come
and set thy soul ablaze,

to give and give, and give again,
what God hath given thee;
to spend thyself nor count the cost;
to serve right gloriously
the God who gave all worlds that are,
and all that are to be.

SECOND READING [Revelation 3:1-6]:

‘And to the angel of the church in Sardis write: These are the words of him who has the seven
spirits of God and the seven stars:
‘I know your works; you have a name for being alive, but you are dead. Wake up, and strengthen
what remains and is at the point of death, for I have not found your works perfect in the sight of
my God. Remember then what you received and heard; obey it, and repent. If you do not wake
up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what hour I will come to you. Yet you have
still a few people in Sardis who have not soiled their clothes; they will walk with me, dressed in
white, for they are worthy. If you conquer, you will be clothed like them in white robes, and I will
not blot your name out of the book of life; I will confess your name before my Father and before
his angels. Let anyone who has an ear listen to what the Spirit is saying to the churches.

Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
Send forth your strength, O God,
Establish what you have wrought in us.

Uphold all those who fall
And raise up those who are bowed down.

Open the eyes of the blind
And set the prisoners free.

Sustain the orphan and widow
And give food to those who hunger.

Grant them the joy of your help again
And sustain them with your Spirit.

O Lord, judge the peoples
And take all nations for your own.

Grant, O Lord,
that as your Son Jesus Christ prayed for his enemies on the cross,
so we may have grace to forgive those who wrongfully or scornfully use us,
that we ourselves may be able to receive your forgiveness;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

God, shepherd of your people,
whose servant Geoffrey revealed the loving service of Christ
in his ministry as a pastor of your people:
awaken within us the love of Christ
and keep us faithful to our Christian calling;
through him who laid down his life for us,
but is alive and reigns with you, now and for ever. Amen.

Help us, O God, to be obedient to your call
to love all your children,
to do justice and show mercy,
and to live in peace with your whole creation;

The first collect is from _The Proper for the Lesser Feasts and

Born in 1883, Studdert Kennedy was a young vicar in Worcester who became
an army chaplain during the First World War. His warm personality soon
earned the respect of soldiers, who nicknamed him 'Woodbine Willie' after the
brand of cigarettes he shared with them. After the First World War, he became
a writer and regular preacher, drawing large crowds, who were attracted by his
combination of traditional sacramental theology with more unconventional
theological views. He worked tirelessly for the Christian Industrial Fellowship,
but his frail health gave way and he died (still a young man) on this day in
1929. [Exciting Holiness]