OREMUS: 5 March 2007

Steve Benner oremus at insight.rr.com
Mon Mar 5 17:28:12 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Monday, March 5, 2007

you accepted the sacrifice of your Son,
who have himself up for the sake of all.
You train us by his teaching
and school us in his obedience,
that as we walk his way of sacrifice,
we may come to share in your glory.

You are to be praised, O God, in Zion;*
  to you shall vows be performed in Jerusalem.
To you that hear prayer shall all flesh come,*
  because of their transgressions.
Our sins are stronger than we are,*
  but you will blot them out.
Happy are they whom you choose
    and draw to your courts to dwell there!*
  they will be satisfied by the beauty of your house,
    by the holiness of your temple.
Awesome things will you show us in your righteousness,
    O God of our salvation,*
  O Hope of all the ends of the earth
    and of the seas that are far away.
You make fast the mountains by your power;*
  they are girded about with might.
You still the roaring of the seas,*
  the roaring of their waves,
    and the clamour of the peoples.
Those who dwell at the ends of the earth
    will tremble at your marvellous signs;*
  you make the dawn and the dusk to sing for joy.
You visit the earth and water it abundantly;
    you make it very plenteous;*
  the river of God is full of water.
You prepare the grain,*
  for so you provide for the earth.
You drench the furrows and smooth out the ridges;*
  with heavy rain you soften the ground
    and bless its increase.
You crown the year with your goodness,*
  and your paths overflow with plenty.
May the fields of the wilderness be rich for grazing,*
  and the hills be clothed with joy.
May the meadows cover themselves with flocks
    and the valleys cloak themselves with grain;*
  let them shout for joy and sing.

Psalm 110:1-5
The Lord said to my lord, ‘Sit at my right hand,*
  until I make your enemies your footstool.’
The Lord will send the sceptre of your power
    out of Zion,*
  saying, ‘Rule over your enemies round about you.
‘Princely state has been yours
    from the day of your birth,*
  in the beauty of holiness have I begotten you,
    like dew from the womb of the morning.’
The Lord has sworn and he will not recant:*
  ‘You are a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek.’

A Song of Humility (Hosea 6:1-6)

Come, let us return to the Lord
who has torn us and will heal us.

God has stricken us
and will bind up our wounds.

After two days, he will revive us,
and on the third day will raise us up,
that we may live in his presence.

Let us strive to know the Lord;
his appearing is as sure as the sunrise.

He will come to us like the showers,
like the spring rains that water the earth.

'O Ephraim, how shall I deal with you?
How shall I deal with you, O Judah?

'Your love for me is like the morning mist,
like the dew that goes early away.

'Therefore, I have hewn them by the prophets,
and my judgement goes forth as the light.

'For loyalty is my desire and not sacrifice,
and the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings.'

Praise him with the blast of the ram’s-horn;*
  praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Exodus 33:1-6]:

The Lord said to Moses, 'Go, leave this place, you and the people whom you
have brought up out of the land of Egypt, and go to the land of which I
swore to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, saying, "To your descendants I will
give it." I will send an angel before you, and I will drive out the
Canaanites, the Amorites, the Hittites, the Perizzites, the Hivites, and
the Jebusites. Go up to a land flowing with milk and honey; but I will not
go up among you, or I would consume you on the way, for you are a
stiff-necked people.'

When the people heard these harsh words, they mourned, and no one put on
ornaments. For the Lord had said to Moses, 'Say to the Israelites, "You are
a stiff-necked people; if for a single moment I should go up among you, I
would consume you. So now take off your ornaments, and I will decide what
to do to you." ' Therefore the Israelites stripped themselves of their
ornaments, from Mount Horeb onwards.

HYMN
Words: Dieter Trautwein (1928-); translated by Fred Kaan (1929-) ©
Tune: Resignation

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t 698.html

Bless, and keep us, God, in your love united,
from your family never separated.
You make all things new as we follow after;
whether tears or laughter, we belong to you.

Blessing shrivels up when your children hoard it;
move us then to share, for we can afford it:
blessing only grows in the act of sharing,
in a life of caring; love that heals and grows.

Fill your world with peace, such as you intended.
Teach us to prize the earth, love, replenish, tend it.
God, uplift, fulfill all who sow in sadness,
let them reap with gladness, by your kingdom thrilled.

You renew our life, changing tears to laughter;
we belong to you, so we follow after.
Bless and keep us, God, in your love united,
never separated from your living Word.

SECOND READING [Romans 4:1-12]:

What then are we to say was gained by Abraham, our ancestor according to
the flesh? For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast
about, but not before God. For what does the scripture say? 'Abraham
believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness.' Now to one who
works, wages are not reckoned as a gift but as something due. But to one
who without works trusts him who justifies the ungodly, such faith is
reckoned as righteousness. So also David speaks of the blessedness of those
to whom God reckons righteousness irrespective of works:
'Blessed are those whose iniquities are forgiven,
and whose sins are covered;
blessed is the one against whom the Lord will not reckon sin.'

Is this blessedness, then, pronounced only on the circumcised, or also on
the uncircumcised? We say, 'Faith was reckoned to Abraham as
righteousness.' How then was it reckoned to him? Was it before or after he
had been circumcised? It was not after, but before he was circumcised. He
received the sign of circumcision as a seal of the righteousness that he
had by faith while he was still uncircumcised. The purpose was to make him
the ancestor of all who believe without being circumcised and who thus have
righteousness reckoned to them, and likewise the ancestor of the
circumcised who are not only circumcised but who also follow the example of
the faith that our ancestor Abraham had before he was circumcised.

The Benedictus (Morning), the Magnificat (Evening), or Nunc dimittis
(Night) may follow.

Prayer:
Save your people, Lord, and bless your inheritance,
Govern and uphold them now and always.

Day by day, we bless you;
We praise your name for ever.

Keep us today, Lord, from all sin;
Have mercy on us, Lord, have mercy.

We long for your salvation, O Lord:
grant us understanding, that we may live.

Lord, show us your love and mercy,
For we put our trust in you.

In you, Lord, is our hope:
Let us not be confounded at the last

Let your Spirit, O Lord, come into the midst of us
to wash us with the pure water of repentance,
and prepare us to be always a living sacrifice to you;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Help us, O God, to be obedient to your call
to love all your children,
to do justice and show mercy,
and to live in peace with your whole creation;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

The psalms and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from Celebrating
Common Prayer (Mowbray), © The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is used
with permission.

The canticle is from Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition,
copyright © The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Edition), copyright © 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian Education of
the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by
permission. All rights reserved.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving adapts phrases from Opening Prayers:
Collects in Contemporary Language. Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The closing sentence is from New Patterns for Worship, copyright © The
Archbishops' Council, 2002.