OREMUS: 4 March 2007

Steve Benner oremus at insight.rr.com
Sun Mar 4 19:27:27 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Sunday, March 4, 2007
The Second Sunday in Lent

you accepted the sacrifice of your Son,
who have himself up for the sake of all.
You train us by his teaching
and school us in his obedience,
that as we walk his way of sacrifice,
we may come to share in your glory.

O Lord, your word is everlasting;*
  it stands firm in the heavens.
Your faithfulness remains
    from one generation to another;*
  you established the earth and it abides.
By your decree these continue to this day,*
  for all things are your servants.
If my delight had not been in your law,*
  I should have perished in my affliction.
I will never forget your commandments,*
  because by them you give me life.
I am yours; O that you would save me!*
  for I study your commandments.
Though the wicked lie in wait for me to destroy me,*
  I will apply my mind to your decrees.
I see that all things come to an end,*
  but your commandment has no bounds.
O how I love your law!*
  all the day long it is in my mind.
Your commandment has made me wiser
    than my enemies,*
  and it is always with me.
I have more understanding than all my teachers,*
  for your decrees are my study.
I am wiser than the elders,*
  because I observe your commandments.
I restrain my feet from every evil way,*
  that I may keep your word.
I do not shrink from your judgements,*
  because you yourself have taught me.
How sweet are your words to my taste!*
  they are sweeter than honey to my mouth.
Through your commandments I gain understanding;*
  therefore I hate every lying way.
Your word is a lantern to my feet*
  and a light upon my path.
I have sworn and am determined*
  to keep your righteous judgements.
I am deeply troubled;*
  preserve my life, O Lord, according to your word.
Accept, O Lord, the willing tribute of my lips,*
  and teach me your judgements.
My life is always in my hand,*
  yet I do not forget your law.
The wicked have set a trap for me,*
  but I have not strayed from your commandments.
Your decrees are my inheritance for ever;*
  truly, they are the joy of my heart.
I have applied my heart to fulfil your statutes*
  for ever and to the end.

The Song of Christ's Glory (Philippians 2:5-11)

Christ Jesus was in the form of God,
  but he did not cling to equality with God.

He emptied himself, taking the form of a servant,
  and was born in our human likeness.

Being found in human form he humbled himself,
  and became obedient unto death, even death on a cross.

Therefore God has highly exalted him,
  and bestowed on him the name above every name.

That at the name of Jesus, every knee should bow,
  in heaven and on earth and under the earth;

And every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
  to the glory of God the Father.

Psalm 117
Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Exodus 11:1-10]:

The Lord said to Moses, 'I will bring one more plague upon Pharaoh and upon
Egypt; afterwards he will let you go from here; indeed, when he lets you
go, he will drive you away. Tell the people that every man is to ask his
neighbour and every woman is to ask her neighbour for objects of silver and
gold.' The Lord gave the people favour in the sight of the Egyptians.
Moreover, Moses himself was a man of great importance in the land of Egypt,
in the sight of Pharaoh's officials, and in the sight of the people.

Moses said, 'Thus says the Lord: About midnight I will go out through
Egypt. Every firstborn in the land of Egypt shall die, from the firstborn
of Pharaoh who sits on his throne to the firstborn of the female slave who
is behind the handmill, and all the firstborn of the livestock. Then there
will be a loud cry throughout the whole land of Egypt, such as has never
been nor will ever be again. But not a dog shall growl at any of the
Israelites not at people, not at animals so that you may know that the Lord
makes a distinction between Egypt and Israel. Then all these officials of
yours shall come down to me, and bow low to me, saying, "Leave us, you and
all the people who follow you." After that I will leave.' And in hot anger
he left Pharaoh.

The Lord said to Moses, 'Pharaoh will not listen to you, in order that my
wonders may be multiplied in the land of Egypt.' Moses and Aaron performed
all these wonders before Pharaoh; but the Lord hardened Pharaoh's heart,
and he did not let the people of Israel go out of his land.

HYMN
Words: Charles Wesley, 1742
Tune: Stockton, Song 67

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o /o137.html

O for a heart to praise my God,
a heart from sin set free,
a heart that always feels thy blood
so freely shed for me.

A heart resigned, submissive, meek,
my great Redeemer's throne,
where only Christ is heard to speak,
where Jesus reigns alone.

A humble, lowly, contrite, heart,
believing, true and clean,
which neither life nor death can part
from him that dwells within.

A heart in every thought renewed
and full of love divine,
perfect and right and pure and good,
a copy, Lord, of thine.

My heart, thou know'st, can never rest
till thou create my peace;
till of mine Eden repossessed,
from self, and sin, I cease.

Thy nature, gracious Lord, impart;
come quickly from above;
write thy new name upon my heart,
thy new, best name of Love.

SECOND READING [Luke 22:39-53]:

Jesus came out and went, as was his custom, to the Mount of Olives; and the
disciples followed him. When he reached the place, he said to them, 'Pray
that you may not come into the time of trial.' Then he withdrew from them
about a stone's throw, knelt down, and prayed, 'Father, if you are willing,
remove this cup from me; yet, not my will but yours be done.' Then an angel
from heaven appeared to him and gave him strength. In his anguish he prayed
more earnestly, and his sweat became like great drops of blood falling down
on the ground. When he got up from prayer, he came to the disciples and
found them sleeping because of grief, and he said to them, 'Why are you
sleeping? Get up and pray that you may not come into the time of trial.'

While he was still speaking, suddenly a crowd came, and the one called
Judas, one of the twelve, was leading them. He approached Jesus to kiss
him; but Jesus said to him, 'Judas, is it with a kiss that you are
betraying the Son of Man?' When those who were around him saw what was
coming, they asked, 'Lord, should we strike with the sword?' Then one of
them struck the slave of the high priest and cut off his right ear. But
Jesus said, 'No more of this!' And he touched his ear and healed him. Then
Jesus said to the chief priests, the officers of the temple police, and the
elders who had come for him, 'Have you come out with swords and clubs as if
I were a bandit? When I was with you day after day in the temple, you did
not lay hands on me. But this is your hour, and the power of darkness!'

The Benedictus (Morning), the Magnificat (Evening), or Nunc dimittis
(Night) may follow.

Prayer:
As we prepare for the paschal feast,
let us offer intercessions to God
who gave up his Son for us.

For this holy gathering,
for all Christians enduring persecution
and tested by suffering,
and for all the holy people of God.
Lord of mercy, hear us.

For catechumens and their sponsors.
Lord of mercy, hear us.

For the descendants of Abraham and Sarah,
for all who share God's covenant,
and for all the peoples of the earth.
Lord of mercy, hear us.

For all who are oppressed, afflicted, or in despair.
Lord of mercy, hear us.

For the dying and the dead,
and for those who mourn.
Lord of mercy, hear us.

For our deliverance from all affliction, strife, and need.
Lord of mercy, hear us.

God of mercy,
you are full of tenderness and compassion,
slow to anger, rich in mercy,
and always ready to forgive.
Grant us grace to renounce all evil
and to cling to Christ,
that in every way we may prove to be your loving children;
one God, forever and ever. Amen.

Help us, O God, to be obedient to your call
to love all your children,
to do justice and show mercy,
and to live in peace with your whole creation;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

The psalms and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from Celebrating
Common Prayer (Mowbray), © The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is used
with permission.

The canticle is from Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition,
copyright © The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Edition), copyright © 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian Education of
the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by
permission. All rights reserved.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving adapts phrases from Opening Prayers:
Collects in Contemporary Language. Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The closing sentence is from New Patterns for Worship, copyright © The
Archbishops' Council, 2002.