OREMUS: 2 March 2007

Steve Benner oremus at insight.rr.com
Fri Mar 2 17:02:31 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Friday, March 2, 2007
Chad, Bishop of Lichfield, Missionary, 672

Blessed are you, God, rich in mercy,
you so loved the world
that when we were dead in our sins,
Lifted up from the earth,
he is light and life;
exalted upon the cross,
he is truth and salvation.

Have mercy on me, O God,
    according to your loving-kindness;*
  in your great compassion blot out my offences.
Wash me through and through from my wickedness*
  and cleanse me from my sin.
For I know my transgressions,*
  and my sin is ever before me.
Against you only have I sinned*
  and done what is evil in your sight.
And so you are justified when you speak*
  and upright in your judgement.
Indeed, I have been wicked from my birth,*
  a sinner from my mother’s womb.
For behold, you look for truth deep within me,*
  and will make me understand wisdom secretly.
Purge me from my sin and I shall be pure;*
  wash me and I shall be clean indeed.
Make me hear of joy and gladness,*
  that the body you have broken may rejoice.
Hide your face from my sins*
  and blot out all my iniquities.
Create in me a clean heart, O God,*
  and renew a right spirit within me.
Cast me not away from your presence*
  and take not your holy Spirit from me.
Give me the joy of your saving help again*
  and sustain me with your bountiful Spirit.
I shall teach your ways to the wicked,*
  and sinners shall return to you.
Deliver me from death, O God,*
  and my tongue shall sing of your righteousness,
    O God of my salvation.
Open my lips, O Lord,*
  and my mouth shall proclaim your praise.
Had you desired it, I would have offered sacrifice,*
  but you take no delight in burnt-offerings.
The sacrifice of God is a troubled spirit;*
  a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.
Be favourable and gracious to Zion,*
  and rebuild the walls of Jerusalem.
Then you will be pleased with the appointed sacrifices,
    with burnt-offerings and oblations;*
  then shall they offer young bullocks upon your altar.

A Song of Christ the Servant (1 Peter 2.21b-25

Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example,
that you should follow in his steps.

He committed no sin, no guile was found on his lips,
when he was reviled, he did not revile in turn.

When he suffered, he did not threaten,
but he trusted himself to God who judges justly.

Christ himself bore our sins in his body on the tree,
that we might die to sin and live to righteousness.

By his wounds, you have been healed,
for you were straying like sheep,
but have now returned
cato the shepherd and guardian of your souls.

FIRST READING [Genesis 14:17-24]:

After his return from the defeat of Chedorlaomer and the kings who were
with him, the king of Sodom went out to meet him at the Valley of Shaveh
(that is, the King's Valley). And King Melchizedek of Salem brought out
bread and wine; he was priest of God Most High. He blessed him and said,
'Blessed be Abram by God Most High,
maker of heaven and earth;
and blessed be God Most High,
who has delivered your enemies into your hand!'
And Abram gave him one-tenth of everything. Then the king of Sodom said to
Abram, 'Give me the people, but take the goods for yourself.' But Abram
said to the king of Sodom, 'I have sworn to the Lord, God Most High, maker
of heaven and earth, that I would not take a thread or a sandal-thong or
anything that is yours, so that you might not say, "I have made Abram
rich." I will take nothing but what the young men have eaten, and the share
of the men who went with me Aner, Eshcol, and Mamre. Let them take their
share.'

HYMN
Words: Ray Palmer, 1830
Tune: Olivet

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/ m/m102.html

My faith looks up to thee,
thou Lamb of Calvary,
Savior divine!
Now hear me while I pray,
take all my guilt away;
O let me from this day
be wholly thine.

May thy rich grace impart
strength to my fainting heart,
my zeal inspire;
as thou hast died for me,
O may my love to thee
pure, warm and changeless be,
a living fire.

While life's dark maze I tread,
and griefs around me spread,
be thou my guide;
bid darkness turn to day;
wipe sorrow's tears away,
nor let me ever stray
from thee aside.

When ends life's transient dream,
when death's cold sullen stream
shall o'er me roll;
blest Savior, then in love
fear and distrust remove;
O bear me safe above,
a ransomed soul.

SECOND READING [Philippians 3:17-20]:

Brothers and sisters, join in imitating me, and observe those who live
according to the example you have in us. For many live as enemies of the
cross of Christ; I have often told you of them, and now I tell you even
with tears. Their end is destruction; their god is the belly; and their
glory is in their shame; their minds are set on earthly things. But our
citizenship is in heaven, and it is from there that we are expecting a
Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ.

The Benedictus (Morning), the Magnificat (Evening), or Nunc dimittis
(Night) may follow.

Prayer:
Eternal God, we praise you for your mighty love given in Christ's sacrifice
on the cross, and the new life we have received by his resurrection.
Especially we thank you for

     the presence of Christ in our weakness and suffering...
     (We thank you, Lord.)
     the ministry of Word and Sacrament...
     all who work to help and heal...
     sacrifices made to our benefit...
     opportunities for our generous giving...

God of grace, let our concern for others reflect Christ’s self-giving love,
not only in our prayers, but also in our practice. Especially we pray for

     those subjected to tyranny and oppression...
     (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     wounded and injured people...
     those who face death...
     those who may be our enemies...
     the church in Latin America...

     Lord Christ, our eternal Redeemer,
     grant us such fellowship in your sufferings,
     that, filled with your Holy Spirit,
     we may subdue the flesh to the spirit, and the spirit to you,
     and at the last attain to the glory of your resurrection;
     who live and reign with the Father and the Holy Spirit,
     one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

     Almighty God,
     from the first fruits of the English nation who turned to Christ,
     you called your servant Chad
     to be an evangelist and bishop of his own people:
     give us grace so to follow his peaceable nature,
     humble spirit and prayerful life,
     that we may truly commend to others
     the faith which we ourselves profess;
     one God, now and for ever.Amen.

     May God give us
     his comfort and his peace,
     his light and his joy,
     in this world and the next. Amen.

     The psalms and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from
Celebrating Common Prayer (Mowbray), © The Society of Saint Francis 1992,
which is used with permission.

     The canticle is from Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary
Edition, copyright © The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

     The biblical passage is from The New Revised Standard Version
(Anglicized Edition), copyright © 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian
Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA.
Used by permission. All rights reserved.

     The opening prayer of thanksgiving adapts phrases from Opening
Prayers: Collects in Contemporary Language. Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

     The closing sentence is from New Patterns for Worship, copyright © The
Archbishops' Council, 2002.

     The first collect is from The Proper for the Lesser Feasts and Fasts,
3rd edition, © 1980 The Church Pension Fund.

     The second collect is from Common Worship: Services and Prayers for
the Church of England, material from which is included in this service is
copyright © The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

     Chad, Bishop of Lichfield, is perhaps best known for not being
Archbishop of York. He was elected and duly installed, but various persons
raised objections, and rather than cause division in the Church he withdrew
in favor of the other candidate, Wilfrid (see 12 Oct). (The objection was
that some of the bishops who had consecrated him--although not Chad
himself--were holdouts who, even after the Synod of Whitby had supposedly
settled the question in 663, insisted on preserving Celtic customs on the
date of celebrating Easter and similar questions, instead of conforming to
the customs of the remainder of Western Christendom.) He was soon after
made Bishop of Lichfield in Mercia. There he travelled about as he had when
Archbishop of York, always on foot (until the Archbishop of Canterbury gave
him a hors and ordered him to ride it, at least on long journeys),
preaching and teaching wherever he went. He served there for only two and a
half years before his death, but he made a deep impression. In the
following decades, many chapels, and many wells, were constructed in Mercia
and named for him. (It was an old custom to dig a well where one was
needed, and to mark it with one's own name or another's, that thirsty
travellers and others might drink and remember the name with gratitude.)
[James Kiefer]