OREMUS: 1 July 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Jun 30 18:02:43 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Sunday, July 1, 2007
The Fifth Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, merciful God;
in your boundless compassion,
you gave us your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
so that the human race created in your love,
yet fallen through its own pride,
might be restored to your glory
through his suffering and death upon the cross.

I will exalt you, O Lord,
   because you have lifted me up*
 and have not let my enemies triumph over me.
O Lord my God, I cried out to you,*
 and you restored me to health.
You brought me up, O Lord, from the dead;*
 you restored my life as I was going down to the grave.
Sing to the Lord, you servants of his;*
 give thanks for the remembrance of his holiness.
For his wrath endures but the twinkling of an eye,*
 his favour for a lifetime.
Weeping may spend the night,*
 but joy comes in the morning.
While I felt secure, I said,
   'I shall never be disturbed.*
 You, Lord, with your favour,
   made me as strong as the mountains.'
Then you hid your face,*
 and I was filled with fear.
I cried to you, O Lord;*
 I pleaded with the Lord, saying,
'What profit is there in my blood,
   if I go down to the Pit?*
 will the dust praise you or declare your faithfulness?
'Hear, O Lord, and have mercy upon me;*
 O Lord, be my helper.'
You have turned my wailing into dancing;*
 you have put off my sack-cloth and clothed me with joy;
Therefore my heart sings to you without ceasing;*
 O Lord my God, I will give you thanks for ever.

Psalm 97

The Lord is king; let the earth rejoice;*
 let the multitude of the isles be glad.
Clouds and darkness are round about him,*
 righteousness and justice
   are the foundations of his throne.
A fire goes before him*
 and burns up his enemies on every side.
His lightnings light up the world;*
 the earth sees it and is afraid.
The mountains melt like wax
   at the presence of the Lord,*
 at the presence of the Lord of the whole earth.
The heavens declare his righteousness,*
 and all the peoples see his glory.
Confounded be all who worship carved images
   and delight in false gods!*
 Bow down before him, all you gods.
Zion hears and is glad and the cities of Judah rejoice,*
 because of your judgements, O Lord.
For you are the Lord: most high over all the earth;*
 you are exalted far above all gods.
The Lord loves those who hate evil;*
 he preserves the lives of his saints
   and delivers them from the hand of the wicked.
Light has sprung up for the righteous,*
 and joyful gladness for those who are true-hearted.
Rejoice in the Lord, you righteous,*
 and give thanks to his holy name.

A Song of the Heavenly City (Revelation 21.22-26;22.1,2b,2d,3b-4)

I saw no temple in the city,
for its temple is the Lord God the Almighty
and the Lamb.

And the city has no need of sun or moon
to shine upon it,
for the glory of God is its light,
and its lamp is the Lamb.

By its light the nations shall walk,
and the rulers of the earth
shall bring their glory into it.

Its gates shall never be shut by day,
nor shall there be any night;
they shall bring into it
the glory and honour of the nations.

I saw the river of the water of life,
bright as crystal,
flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb.

And either side of the river stood the tree of life,
yielding its fruit each month,
and the leaves of the tree
were for the healing of the nations.

The throne of God and of the Lamb shall be there,
and his servants shall worship him;
and they shall see his face
and his name shall be on their foreheads.

for ever and ever. Amen.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [1 Kings 22:29-40, 51-53]:

So the king of Israel and King Jehoshaphat of Judah went
up to Ramoth-gilead. The king of Israel said to
Jehoshaphat, 'I will disguise myself and go into battle,
but you wear your robes.' So the king of Israel disguised
himself and went into battle. Now the king of Aram had
commanded the thirty-two captains of his chariots, 'Fight
with no one small or great, but only with the king of
Israel.' When the captains of the chariots saw
Jehoshaphat, they said, 'It is surely the king of
Israel.' So they turned to fight against him; and
Jehoshaphat cried out. When the captains of the chariots
saw that it was not the king of Israel, they turned back
from pursuing him. But a certain man drew his bow and
unknowingly struck the king of Israel between the
scale-armour and the breastplate; so he said to the
driver of his chariot, 'Turn around, and carry me out of
the battle, for I am wounded.' The battle grew hot that
day, and the king was propped up in his chariot facing
the Arameans, until at evening he died; the blood from
the wound had flowed into the bottom of the chariot. Then
about sunset a shout went through the army, 'Every man to
his city, and every man to his country!'
So the king died, and was brought to Samaria; they buried
the king in Samaria. They washed the chariot by the pool
of Samaria; the dogs licked up his blood, and the
prostitutes washed themselves in it, according to the
word of the Lord that he had spoken. Now the rest of the
acts of Ahab, and all that he did, and the ivory house
that he built, and all the cities that he built, are they
not written in the Book of the Annals of the Kings of
Israel? So Ahab slept with his ancestors; and his son
Ahaziah succeeded him.
Ahaziah son of Ahab began to reign over Israel in Samaria
in the seventeenth year of King Jehoshaphat of Judah; he
reigned for two years over Israel. He did what was evil
in the sight of the Lord, and walked in the way of his
father and mother, and in the way of Jeroboam son of
Nebat, who caused Israel to sin. He served Baal and
worshipped him; he provoked the Lord, the God of Israel,
to anger, just as his father had done.

HYMN
Words: John Bunyan, 1684;
as modified by Percy Dearmer, 1906
Tune: Monk's Gate
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h/h155.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h
/h155.html

He who would valiant be
'gainst all disaster,
let him in constancy
follow the Master.
There's no discouragement
shall make him once relent
his first avowed intent
to be a pilgrim.

Who so beset him round
with dismal stories
do but themselves confound
his strength the more is.
No foes shall stay his might;
though he with giants fight,
he will make good his right
to be a pilgrim.

Since, Lord, thou dost defend
us with thy Spirit,
We know we at the end,
shall life inherit.
Then fancies flee away!
I'll fear not what men say,
I'll labor night and day
to be a pilgrim.

SECOND READING [Luke 9:21-27]:

Jesus sternly ordered and commanded them not to tell anyone, saying, 'The Son of
Man must undergo great suffering, and be rejected by the elders, chief priests, and
scribes, and be killed, and on the third day be raised.'
Then he said to them all, 'If any want to become my followers, let them deny
themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me. For those who want to save
their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will save it. What does it
profit them if they gain the whole world, but lose or forfeit themselves? Those who are
ashamed of me and of my words, of them the Son of Man will be ashamed when he
comes in his glory and the glory of the Father and of the holy angels. But truly I tell
you, there are some standing here who will not taste death before they see the
kingdom of God.'

O God Our Creator,
you have graced us with the gift of life and a world to live in.
Empower and strengthen the witness of your church
that, true to its calling, it may proclaim
your radical and boundless love, in word and deed.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Saving God,
you nourish and sustain us by Word and Sacrament.
Strengthen all the people of our church,
especially our bishops, priests and deacons.
Grant that, sustained in you, our service and witness in this land
may be full of faith and love.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

O God, Source of our life,
you have adopted us in the waters of baptism
and made us your own in love.
We pray that we may embrace our lives and the lives of others
with courage and compassion, unafraid of joy and pain, sickness and health.
May your care be made known in our care.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

God of Justice,
you revealed your power in the servanthood of Jesus.
May those who govern the nations use their authority
in wisdom, kindness and peace.
Awaken in all who govern a thirst for justice
that embodies your care for this earth and the human community.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Liberating God,
you are the hope of the weak and the needy.
Rescue those who suffer poverty, injustice or oppression when they cry out.
Open the ears of our hearts to hear
and quicken in us the fire to respond in love.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Compassionate One,
you are a well-spring of comfort and healing.
Grant comfort, healing and release
to those who suffer illness, distress or grief.
Awaken in us boundless compassion
and use us as agents of lovingkindness.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

God of all generations,
we thank you for the gift of the lives
and the loving service of all who have died.
Keep us in the bonds of love with all the saints throughout the ages
and bring us to the fullness of your reign.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

O God of Love,
hear the prayers of your people.
Enliven us by your Spirit, to live into the fullness of your reign.
We pray through Jesus, our life and our hope. Amen.

O God,
light of the minds that know you,
life of the souls that love you,
strength of the thoughts that seek you:
Help us so to know you that we may truly love you,
so to love you that we may fully serve you,
whose service is perfect freedom;
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Fill our hearts with zeal for your kingdom
and place on our lips the tidings of your peace;