OREMUS: 30 June 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Jun 29 20:10:26 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Saturday, June 30, 2007

Blessed are you, merciful God;
for setting us free in Jesus Christ
with a power greater than all that would keep us captive.
You call us to turn from the ways of the world
and to accept the fullness of joy in the Spirit
and follow the way of the cross,
which frees us to love one another
for the sake of all creation.

Rescue me from my enemies, O God;*
 protect me from those who rise up against me.
Rescue me from evildoers*
 and save me from those who thirst for my blood.
See how they lie in wait for my life,
   how the mighty gather together against me;*
 not for any offence or fault of mine, O Lord.
Not because of any guilt of mine*
 they run and prepare themselves for battle.
Rouse yourself, come to my side and see;*
 for you, Lord God of hosts, are Israel's God.
My eyes are fixed on you, O my Strength;*
 for you, O God, are my stronghold.
My merciful God comes to meet me;*
 God will let me look in triumph on my enemies.
Let everyone know that God rules in Jacob,*
 and to the ends of the earth.
For my part, I will sing of your strength;*
 I will celebrate your love in the morning;
For you have become my stronghold,*
 a refuge in the day of my trouble.
To you, O my Strength, will I sing;*
 for you, O God, are my stronghold
   and my merciful God.

Psalm 60

O God, you have cast us off and broken us;*
 you have been angry;
   O take us back to you again.
You have shaken the earth and split it open;*
 repair the cracks in it, for it totters.
You have made your people know hardship;*
 you have given us wine that makes us stagger.
You have set up a banner for those who fear you,*
 to be a refuge from the power of the bow.
Save us by your right hand and answer us,*
 that those who are dear to you may be delivered.
God spoke from his holy place and said:*
 'I will exult and parcel out Shechem;
   I will divide the valley of Succoth.
'Gilead is mine and Manasseh is mine;*
 Ephraim is my helmet and Judah my sceptre.
'Moab is my wash-basin,
   on Edom I throw down my sandal to claim it,*
 and over Philistia will I shout in triumph.'
Who will lead me into the strong city?*
 who will bring me into Edom?
Have you not cast us off, O God?*
 you no longer go out, O God, with our armies.
Grant us your help against the enemy,*
 for vain is human help.
With God we will do valiant deeds,*
 and he shall tread our enemies under foot.

A Song of Wisdom (Wisdom 9.1-5a,5c-6,9-11)

O God of our ancestors and Lord of mercy,
you have made all things by your word.

By your wisdom you have formed us
to have dominion over the creatures you have made;

To rule the world in holiness and righteousness
and to pronounce judgement in uprightness of soul.

Give us the Wisdom that sits by your throne;
do not reject us from among your servants,

For we are your servants,
with little understanding of judgement and laws.

Even one who is perfect among us
will be regarded as nothing
without the wisdom that comes from you.

With you is Wisdom, she who knows your works,
and was present when you made the world.

She understands what is pleasing in your sight
and what is right according to your commandments.

Send her forth from the holy heavens,
from the throne of your glory send her.

That she may labour at our side
and that we may learn what is pleasing to you.

For she knows and understands all things,
she will guide us wisely in our actions
and guard us with her glory.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [2 Kings 1:13-18; 2:3-5]:

Again the king sent the captain of a third fifty with his
fifty. So the third captain of fifty went up, and came
and fell on his knees before Elijah, and entreated him,
'O man of God, please let my life, and the life of these
fifty servants of yours, be precious in your sight. Look,
fire came down from heaven and consumed the two former
captains of fifty men with their fifties; but now let my
life be precious in your sight.' Then the angel of the
Lord said to Elijah, 'Go down with him; do not be afraid
of him.' So he set out and went down with him to the
king, and said to him, 'Thus says the Lord: Because you
have sent messengers to inquire of Baal-zebub, the god of
Ekron, is it because there is no God in Israel to inquire
of his word? therefore you shall not leave the bed to
which you have gone, but you shall surely die.'
So he died according to the word of the Lord that Elijah
had spoken. His brother Jehoram succeeded him as king in
the second year of King Jehoram son of Jehoshaphat of
Judah, because Ahaziah had no son. Now the rest of the
acts of Ahaziah that he did, are they not written in the
Book of the Annals of the Kings of Israel? The company of
prophets who were in Bethel came out to Elisha, and said
to him, 'Do you know that today the Lord will take your
master away from you?' And he said, 'Yes, I know; keep
silent.'
Elijah said to him, 'Elisha, stay here; for the Lord has
sent me to Jericho.' But he said, 'As the Lord lives, and
as you yourself live, I will not leave you.' So they came
to Jericho. The company of prophets who were at Jericho
drew near to Elisha, and said to him, 'Do you know that
today the Lord will take your master away from you?' And
he answered, 'Yes, I know; be silent.'

HYMN
Words: Robert L. Edwards (c)
Tune: Blaenwern

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t698.html

God, whose giving knows no ending,
from your rich and endless store--
nature's wonder, Jesus' wisdom,
costly cross, grave's shattered door--
gifted by you, we turn to you,
offering up ourselves in praise;
thankful song shall rise forever,
gracious Donor of our days.

Skills and time are ours for pressing
toward the goals of Christ, your Son:
all at peace in health and freedom,
races joined, the Church made one.
Now direct our daily labor,
lest we strive for self alone.
Born with talents, make us servants
fit to answer at your throne.

Treasure, too, you have entrusted,
gain through powers your grace conferred,
ours to use for home and kindred,
and to spread the gospel word.
Open wide our hands in sharing,
as we heed Christ's ageless call,
healing, teaching, and reclaiming,
serving you by loving all.

SECOND READING [Galatians 4:8-20]:

Formerly, when you did not know God, you were enslaved to beings that by nature are
not gods. Now, however, that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by
God, how can you turn back again to the weak and beggarly elemental spirits? How
can you want to be enslaved to them again? You are observing special days, and
months, and seasons, and years. I am afraid that my work for you may have been
wasted.
Friends, I beg you, become as I am, for I also have become as you are. You have done
me no wrong. You know that it was because of a physical infirmity that I first
announced the gospel to you; though my condition put you to the test, you did not
scorn or despise me, but welcomed me as an angel of God, as Christ Jesus. What has
become of the goodwill you felt? For I testify that, had it been possible, you would
have torn out your eyes and given them to me. Have I now become your enemy by
telling you the truth? They make much of you, but for no good purpose; they want to
exclude you, so that you may make much of them. It is good to be made much of for a
good purpose at all times, and not only when I am present with you. My little children,
for whom I am again in the pain of childbirth until Christ is formed in you, I wish I
were present with you now and could change my tone, for I am perplexed about you.

Blessed are you, eternal God,
to be praised and glorified for ever.

Hear us as we pray for your holy Catholic Church:
make us all one, that the world may believe.

Grant that every member of the Church
may truly and humbly serve you:
that the life of Christ may be revealed in us.

Strengthen all who minister in Christ's name:
give them courage to proclaim your Gospel.

Inspire and lead those who hold authority
in the nations of the world:
guide them in the ways of justice and peace.

Make us alive to the needs of our community:
help us to share each other's joys and burdens.

Look with kindness on our homes and families:
grant that your love may grow in our hearts.

Deepen our compassion for all who suffer
from sickness, grief or trouble:
in your presence may they find their strength.

We remember those who have died:
may they rest in your peace.

We praise you for all your saints
who have entered your eternal glory:
bring us all to share in your heavenly kingdom.

Almighty God,
who after the creation of the world
rested from all you works
and sanctified a day of rest for all your creatures:
Grant that we, putting away all earthly anxieties,
may be duly prepared
for the service of your sanctuary,
and that our rest here upon earth
may be a preparation for the eternal rest
promised to your people in heaven;

Keep us true to the way of your Son,
that we may leave behind all that hinders us
and, with eyes fixed on Jesus,
walk surely in the path of the kingdom. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses phrases from two prayers reprinted
from _Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_, copyright (c)
2002 Consultation on Common Texts

Hymn (c) 1961, renewed 1989 by The Hymn Society (admin. by Hope Publishing
Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188).
For permission to reproduce this hymn, contact:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com

The collect is from The Book of Common Prayer According to the Use of The
Episcopal Church_.

The closing prayer are adapted from prayers in _Opening Prayers: