OREMUS: 29 June 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Jun 28 20:34:56 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Friday, June 29, 2007
Saint Peter and Saint Paul, Apostles

Blessed are you, almighty God, eternal Word:
we rejoice this day for the gift of your apostles Peter and Paul,
whom you chose and set apart,
that they may proclaim your word to generations to come.
You have made them bright lights in the fellowship of the apostles
and, as witnesses to the faith and love of Christ,
you have crowned them for all eternity
with the radiance of your glory,

In you, O Lord, have I taken refuge;*
 let me never be ashamed.
In your righteousness, deliver me and set me free;*
 incline your ear to me and save me.
Be my strong rock, a castle to keep me safe;*
 you are my crag and my stronghold.
Deliver me, my God, from the hand of the wicked,*
 from the clutches of the evildoer and the oppressor.
For you are my hope, O Lord God,*
 my confidence since I was young.
I have been sustained by you ever since I was born;
   from my mother's womb you have been my strength;*
 my praise shall be always of you.
I have become a portent to many;*
 but you are my refuge and my strength.
Let my mouth be full of your praise*
 and your glory all the day long.
Do not cast me off in my old age;*
 forsake me not when my strength fails.
For my enemies are talking against me,*
 and those who lie in wait for my life
   take counsel together.
They say, 'God has forsaken him;
   go after him and seize him;*
 because there is none who will save.'
O God, be not far from me;*
 come quickly to help me, O my God.
Let those who set themselves against me
   be put to shame and be disgraced;*
 let those who seek to do me evil
   be covered with scorn and reproach.
But I shall always wait in patience,*
 and shall praise you more and more.
My mouth shall recount your mighty acts
   and saving deeds all day long;*
 though I cannot know the number of them.
I will begin with the mighty works of the Lord God;*
 I will recall your righteousness, yours alone.
O God, you have taught me since I was young,*
 and to this day I tell of your wonderful works.
And now that I am old and grey-headed, O God,
   do not forsake me,*
 till I make known your strength to this generation
   and your power to all who are to come.
Your righteousness, O God, reaches to the heavens;*
 you have done great things; who is like you, O God?
You have showed me great troubles and adversities,*
 but you will restore my life and bring me up again
   from the deep places of the earth.
You strengthen me more and more;*
 you enfold and comfort me,
Therefore I will praise you upon the lyre
   for your faithfulness, O my God;*
 I will sing to you with the harp, O Holy One of Israel.
My lips will sing with joy when I play to you,*
 and so will my soul, which you have redeemed.
My tongue will proclaim your righteousness all day long,*
 for they are ashamed and disgraced
   who sought to do me harm.

   Give praise, you servants of the Lord;*
 praise the name of the Lord.
Let the name of the Lord be blessed,*
 from this time forth for evermore.
>From the rising of the sun to its going down*
 let the name of the Lord be praised.
The Lord is high above all nations,*
 and his glory above the heavens.
Who is like the Lord our God,
   who sits enthroned on high,*
 but stoops to behold the heavens and the earth?
He takes up the weak out of the dust*
 and lifts up the poor from the ashes.
He sets them with the princes,*
 with the princes of his people.
He makes the woman of a childless house*
 to be a joyful mother of children.

A Song of Faith (1 Peter 1.3-4,18-21)

Blessed be the God and Father
of our Lord Jesus Christ!

By his great mercy we have been born anew to a living hope
through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.

Into an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled and unfading,
kept in heaven for you.

Who are being protected by the power of God
through faith for a salvation,
ready to be revealed in the last time.

You were ransomed from the futile ways of your ancestors
not with perishable things like silver or gold

But with the precious blood of Christ
like that of a lamb without spot or stain.

Through him you have confidence in God,
who raised him from the dead and gave him glory,
so that your faith and hope are set on God.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

READING [Ezekiel 3:4-11]:

He said to me: Mortal, go to the house of Israel and speak my very words to them. For you are
not sent to a people of obscure speech and difficult language, but to the house of Israel  not to
many peoples of obscure speech and difficult language, whose words you cannot understand.
Surely, if I sent you to them, they would listen to you. But the house of Israel will not listen to
you, for they are not willing to listen to me; because all the house of Israel have a hard forehead
and a stubborn heart. See, I have made your face hard against their faces, and your forehead hard
against their foreheads. Like the hardest stone, harder than flint, I have made your forehead; do
not fear them or be dismayed at their looks, for they are a rebellious house. He said to me:
Mortal, all my words that I shall speak to you receive in your heart and hear with your ears; then
go to the exiles, to your people, and speak to them. Say to them, 'Thus says the Lord God';
whether they hear or refuse to hear.

HYMN
Words: Jonathan Friedrich Bahnmaier, 1827;
trans. Catherine Winkworth, 1858
Tune: Gott sei Dank
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/s/s323.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/s/s323.html

Spread, O spread, thou mighty Word,
spread the kingdom of the Lord,
whersoe'er his breath has given,
life to beings meant for heaven.

Tell them how the Father's will
made the world, and keeps it still,
how he sent his Son to save
all who help and comfort crave.

Tell of our Redeemer's love,
who forever doth remove
by his holy sacrifice
all the guilt that on us lies.

Tell them of the Spirit given
now to guide us up to heaven,
strong and holy, just and true,
working both to will and do.

Word of life, most pure and strong,
lo! for thee the nations long,
spread, till from its dreary night
all the world awakes to light.

Up! the ripening fields ye see,
mighty shall the harvest be;
but the reapers still are few,
great the work they have to do.

Lord of harvest, let there be
joy and strength to work for thee,
till the nations, far and near,
see thy light, and learn thy fear.

SECOND READING [Galatians 1:13-2:8]:

You have heard, no doubt, of my earlier life in Judaism.
I was violently persecuting the church of God and was
trying to destroy it. I advanced in Judaism beyond many
among my people of the same age, for I was far more
zealous for the traditions of my ancestors. But when God,
who had set me apart before I was born and called me
through his grace, was pleased to reveal his Son to me,
so that I might proclaim him among the Gentiles, I did
not confer with any human being, nor did I go up to
Jerusalem to those who were already apostles before me,
but I went away at once into Arabia, and afterwards I
returned to Damascus.
Then after three years I did go up to Jerusalem to visit
Cephas and stayed with him for fifteen days; but I did
not see any other apostle except James the Lord's
brother. In what I am writing to you, before God, I do
not lie! Then I went into the regions of Syria and
Cilicia, and I was still unknown by sight to the churches
of Judea that are in Christ; they only heard it said,
'The one who formerly was persecuting us is now
proclaiming the faith he once tried to destroy.' And they
glorified God because of me.
Then after fourteen years I went up again to Jerusalem
with Barnabas, taking Titus along with me. I went up in
response to a revelation. Then I laid before them (though
only in a private meeting with the acknowledged leaders)
the gospel that I proclaim among the Gentiles, in order
to make sure that I was not running, or had not run, in
vain. But even Titus, who was with me, was not compelled
to be circumcised, though he was a Greek. But because of
false believers secretly brought in, who slipped in to
spy on the freedom we have in Christ Jesus, so that they
might enslave us  we did not submit to them even for a
moment, so that the truth of the gospel might always
remain with you. And from those who were supposed to be
acknowledged leaders (what they actually were makes no
difference to me; God shows no partiality) those leaders
contributed nothing to me. On the contrary, when they saw
that I had been entrusted with the gospel for the
uncircumcised, just as Peter had been entrusted with the
gospel for the circumcised (for he who worked through
Peter making him an apostle to the circumcised also
worked through me in sending me to the Gentiles).

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
Encouraged by our fellowship with all the saints,
let us make our prayers to the Father through our Lord
Jesus Christ.

Father, your Son called men and women to leave the
past behind them and to follow him as his disciples in
the way of the cross.  Look with mercy upon those whom he
has called today, marked with the cross and made his
disciples within the Church.
     Lord have mercy.
     Christ have mercy.

Your Son told his disciples not to be afraid, and at
Easter breathed on them his gift of peace.  Look with
mercy upon the world into which he sent them out, and
give it that peace for which it longs
     Lord have mercy.
     Christ have mercy.

Your Son formed around him a company who were no
longer servants but friends, and he called all those who
obeyed him his brother and sister and mother.  Look with
mercy upon our families and friends and upon the
communities in which we share
     Lord have mercy.
     Christ have mercy.

Your Son sent out disciples to preach and to heal the
sick.  Look with mercy on all those who yearn to hear the
good news of salvation, and renew among your people the
gifts of healing
     Lord have mercy.
     Christ have mercy.

Your Son promised to those who followed him that they
would sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel
and would share the banquet of the kingdom.  According to
your promise, look with mercy on those who have walked
with Christ in this life and now have passed through
death
     Lord have mercy.
     Christ have mercy.

Pursuing, shepherding, and converting God,
your risen Son appeared to both Peter and Paul,
undoing their past,
claiming them for the work of your Church,
spilling them out as witnesses to a deeper love.
Undo and claim us,
that we too may finish the race
you set before us in Christ Jesus. Amen.

Keep us true to the way of your Son,
that we may leave behind all that hinders us
and, with eyes fixed on him,
walk surely in the path of the kingdom. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen Benner and is based on a
prayer in _We Give You Thanks and Praise: The Ambrosian Eucharistic

The intercession is from _Enriching the Christian Year_  SPCK,
compilation (c)Michael Perham 1993.

The collect is reprinted from _THE DAILY OFFICE: A Book of Hours
of Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint Luke_, (c) 1997
by The Order of Saint Luke. Used by permission.