OREMUS: 26 June 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Jun 25 17:00:01 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Blessed are you, merciful God;
for setting us free in Jesus Christ
with a power greater than all that would keep us captive.
You call us to turn from the ways of the world
and to accept the fullness of joy in the Spirit
and follow the way of the cross,
which frees us to love one another
for the sake of all creation.

The heavens declare the glory of God,*
 and the firmament shows his handiwork.
One day tells its tale to another,*
 and one night imparts knowledge to another.
Although they have no words or language,*
 and their voices are not heard,
Their sound has gone out into all lands,*
 and their message to the ends of the world.
In the deep has he set a pavilion for the sun;*
 it comes forth like a bridegroom out of his chamber;
   it rejoices like a champion to run its course.
It goes forth from the uttermost edge of the heavens
   and runs about to the end of it again;*
 nothing is hidden from its burning heat.
The law of the Lord is perfect
   and revives the soul;*
 the testimony of the Lord is sure
   and gives wisdom to the innocent.
The statutes of the Lord are just
   and rejoice the heart;*
 the commandment of the Lord is clear
   and gives light to the eyes.
The fear of the Lord is clean
   and endures for ever;*
 the judgements of the Lord are true
   and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold,
   more than much fine gold,*
 sweeter far than honey,
   than honey in the comb.
By them also is your servant enlightened,*
 and in keeping them there is great reward.
Who can tell how often he offends?*
 Cleanse me from my secret faults.
Above all, keep your servant from presumptuous sins;
   let them not get dominion over me;*
 then shall I be whole and sound,
   and innocent of a great offence.
Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
   be acceptable in your sight,*
 O Lord, my strength and my redeemer.

A Song of God's Herald (Isaiah 40:9-11)

Go up to a high mountain,
herald of good tidings to Zion;
lift up your voice with strength,
herald of good tidings to Jerusalem.

Lift up your voice, fear not;
say to the cities of Judah, 'Behold your God!'

See, the Lord God comes with might,
and his arm rules for him.

Behold, his reward is with him,
and his recompense before him.

God will feed his flock like a shepherd,
and gather the lambs in his arms;

He will carry them in his breast,
and gently lead those that are with young.

FIRST READING [2 Kings 9:14-26]:

Thus Jehu son of Jehoshaphat son of Nimshi conspired
against Joram. Joram with all Israel had been on guard at
Ramoth-gilead against King Hazael of Aram; but King Joram
had returned to be healed in Jezreel of the wounds that
the Arameans had inflicted on him, when he fought against
King Hazael of Aram. So Jehu said, 'If this is your wish,
then let no one slip out of the city to go and tell the
news in Jezreel.' Then Jehu mounted his chariot and went
to Jezreel, where Joram was lying ill. King Ahaziah of
Judah had come down to visit Joram.
In Jezreel, the sentinel standing on the tower spied the
company of Jehu arriving, and said, 'I see a company.'
Joram said, 'Take a horseman; send him to meet them, and
let him say, "Is it peace?" ' So the horseman went to
meet him; he said, 'Thus says the king, "Is it peace?" '
Jehu responded, 'What have you to do with peace? Fall in
behind me.' The sentinel reported, saying, 'The messenger
reached them, but he is not coming back.' Then he sent
out a second horseman, who came to them and said, 'Thus
says the king, "Is it peace?" ' Jehu answered, 'What have
you to do with peace? Fall in behind me.' Again the
sentinel reported, 'He reached them, but he is not coming
back. It looks like the driving of Jehu son of Nimshi;
for he drives like a maniac.'
Joram said, 'Get ready.' And they got his chariot ready.
Then King Joram of Israel and King Ahaziah of Judah set
out, each in his chariot, and went to meet Jehu; they met
him at the property of Naboth the Jezreelite. When Joram
saw Jehu, he said, 'Is it peace, Jehu?' He answered,
'What peace can there be, so long as the many whoredoms
and sorceries of your mother Jezebel continue?' Then
Joram reined about and fled, saying to Ahaziah, 'Treason,
Ahaziah!' Jehu drew his bow with all his strength, and
shot Joram between the shoulders, so that the arrow
pierced his heart; and he sank in his chariot. Jehu said
to his aide Bidkar, 'Lift him out, and throw him on the
plot of ground belonging to Naboth the Jezreelite; for
remember, when you and I rode side by side behind his
father Ahab, how the Lord uttered this oracle against
him: "For the blood of Naboth and for the blood of his
children that I saw yesterday, says the Lord, I swear I
will repay you on this very plot of ground." Now
therefore lift him out and throw him on the plot of
ground, in accordance with the word of the Lord.'

HYMN
Words: Robert M. Millman, 1908
Tune: Even Me

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t037.html

Temple of God's Holy Spirit,
not my own, this human frame,
purchased by my Savior's merit
for the glory of his Name--
not my own--
for the glory of his Name.

Temple of God's Holy Spirit,
temple builded for my God,
not for self and flesh to mar it,
spotless keep his fair abode--
not my own--
spotless keep his fair abode.

Savior, give me of thy Spirit,
holiness I crave from thee;
thine own beauty, let me wear it,
clothe me in thy purity--
not my own--
clothe me in thy purity.

SECOND READING [Ephesians 2:11-22]:

So then, remember that at one time you Gentiles by birth, called 'the uncircumcision'
by those who are called 'the circumcision' a physical circumcision made in the flesh
by human hands  remember that you were at that time without Christ, being aliens
from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers to the covenants of promise, having
no hope and without God in the world. But now in Christ Jesus you who once were
far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. For he is our peace; in his flesh
he has made both groups into one and has broken down the dividing wall, that is, the
hostility between us. He has abolished the law with its commandments and ordinances,
so that he might create in himself one new humanity in place of the two, thus making
peace, and might reconcile both groups to God in one body through the cross, thus
putting to death that hostility through it. So he came and proclaimed peace to you who
were far off and peace to those who were near; for through him both of us have access
in one Spirit to the Father. So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are
citizens with the saints and also members of the household of God, built upon the
foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the cornerstone.
In him the whole structure is joined together and grows into a holy temple in the Lord;
in whom you also are built together spiritually into a dwelling-place for God.

We seek you daily, O Father,
and you are there daily to be found.

Wherever we seek you,
at home, at work, on the highway,
you are there, O Lord.

Whatever we do,
eating and drinking,
writing or working,
readings, meditating or praying,
you are there, O Lord.

If we are oppressed,
you defend us, O Lord.

If we hunger,
you feed us, O Lord.

Whatever we need,
you give us, O Lord.

Grant to us, O Lord,
the royalty of inward happiness
and the serenity which comes from living close to you.
Daily renew in us the sense of joy
and fill our whole life with your light and grace;
and in all things
let us give thanks to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Amen.
Robert Louis Stevenson

Keep us true to the way of your Son,
that we may leave behind all that hinders us
and, with eyes fixed on Jesus,
walk surely in the path of the kingdom. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses phrases from two prayers reprinted
from _Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_, copyright (c)
2002 Consultation on Common Texts

The intercession is by Stephen Benner and is based on a prayer by James Norden written
in 1548

The collect is a prayer by Robert Louis Stevenson.

The closing prayer are adapted from prayers in _Opening Prayers: