OREMUS: 25 June 2007

Steve Benner oremus at insight.rr.com
Mon Jun 25 15:09:06 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Monday, June 25, 2007

Blessed are you, merciful God;
for setting us free in Jesus Christ
with a power greater than all that would keep us captive.
You call us to turn from the ways of the world
and to accept the fullness of joy in the Spirit
and follow the way of the cross,
which frees us to love one another
for the sake of all creation.

I love the Lord,
    because he has heard the voice of my supplication,*
  because he has inclined his ear to me
    whenever I called upon him.
The cords of death entangled me;
    the grip of the grave took hold of me;*
  I came to grief and sorrow.
Then I called upon the name of the Lord:*
  ‘O Lord, I pray you, save my life.’
Gracious is the Lord and righteous;*
  our God is full of compassion.
The Lord watches over the innocent;*
  I was brought very low and he helped me.
Turn again to your rest, O my soul,*
  for the Lord has treated you well.
For you have rescued my life from death,*
  my eyes from tears and my feet from stumbling.
I will walk in the presence of the Lord*
  in the land of the living.
I believed, even when I said,
    ‘I have been brought very low.’*
  In my distress I said, ‘No one can be trusted.’
How shall I repay the Lord*
  for all the good things he has done for me?
I will lift up the cup of salvation*
  and call upon the name of the Lord.
I will fulfil my vows to the Lord*
  in the presence of all his people.
Precious in the sight of the Lord*
  is the death of his servants.
O Lord, I am your servant;*
  I am your servant and the child of your handmaid;
    you have freed me from my bonds.
I will offer you the sacrifice of thanksgiving*
  and call upon the name of the Lord.
I will fulfil my vows to the Lord*
  in the presence of all his people.
In the courts of the Lord’s house,*
  in the midst of you, O Jerusalem.
    Alleluia!

A Song of God's Children (Romans 8:2,14,15b-19)

The law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus
has set us free from the law of sin and death.

All who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God;
for we have received the Spirit that enables us to cry, 'Abba, Father'.

The Spirit himself bears witness that we are children of God
and if God's children, then heirs of God;

If heirs of God, then fellow-heirs with Christ;
since we suffer with him now, that we may be glorified with him.

These sufferings that we now endure
are not worth comparing to the glory that shall be revealed.

For the creation waits with eager longing
for the revealing of the children of God.

Praise him with the blast of the ram’s-horn;*
  praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [2 Kings 9:1-13]:

Then the prophet Elisha called a member of the company of prophets and said
to him, 'Gird up your loins; take this flask of oil in your hand, and go to
Ramoth-gilead. When you arrive, look there for Jehu son of Jehoshaphat, son
of Nimshi; go in and get him to leave his companions, and take him into an
inner chamber. Then take the flask of oil, pour it on his head, and say,
"Thus says the Lord: I anoint you king over Israel." Then open the door and
flee; do not linger.'

So the young man, the young prophet, went to Ramoth-gilead. He arrived
while the commanders of the army were in council, and he announced, 'I have
a message for you, commander.' 'For which one of us?' asked Jehu. 'For you,
commander.' So Jehu got up and went inside; the young man poured the oil on
his head, saying to him, 'Thus says the Lord the God of Israel: I anoint
you king over the people of the Lord, over Israel. You shall strike down
the house of your master Ahab, so that I may avenge on Jezebel the blood of
my servants the prophets, and the blood of all the servants of the Lord.
For the whole house of Ahab shall perish; I will cut off from Ahab every
male, bond or free, in Israel. I will make the house of Ahab like the house
of Jeroboam son of Nebat, and like the house of Baasha son of Ahijah. The
dogs shall eat Jezebel in the territory of Jezreel, and no one shall bury
her.' Then he opened the door and fled.

When Jehu came back to his master's officers, they said to him, 'Is
everything all right? Why did that madman come to you?' He answered them,
'You know the sort and how they babble.' They said, 'Liar! Come on, tell
us!' So he said, 'This is just what he said to me: "Thus says the Lord, I
anoint you king over Israel." ' Then hurriedly they all took their cloaks
and spread them for him on the bare steps; and they blew the trumpet, and
proclaimed, 'Jehu is king.'

HYMN
Words: Clifford Bax, 1919
Tune: Old 124th

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t811.html

Turn back, O man, forswear thy foolish ways.
old now is earth, and none may count her days.
yet thou, her child, whose head is crowned with flame,
still wilt not hear thine inner God proclaim,
"Turn back, O man, forswear thy foolish ways."

Earth might be fair and all men glad and wise.
age after age their tragic empires rise,
built while they dream, and in that dreaming weep:
would man but wake from out his haunted sleep,
earth might be fair and all men glad and wise.

Earth shall be fair, and all her people one:
nor till that hour shall God's whole will be done.
Now, even now, once more from earth to sky,
peals forth in joy man's old undaunted cry:
"Earth shall be fair and all her folk be one!"

SECOND READING [1 Corinthians 1:18-31]:

For the message about the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing,
but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written,
'I will destroy the wisdom of the wise,
and the discernment of the discerning I will thwart.'
Where is the one who is wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of
this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since, in
the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, God decided,
through the foolishness of our proclamation, to save those who believe. For
Jews demand signs and Greeks desire wisdom, but we proclaim Christ
crucified, a stumbling-block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, but to
those who are the called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and
the wisdom of God. For God's foolishness is wiser than human wisdom, and
God's weakness is stronger than human strength.

Consider your own call, brothers and sisters: not many of you were wise by
human standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. But
God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is
weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised
in the world, things that are not, to reduce to nothing things that are, so
that no one might boast in the presence of God. He is the source of your
life in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God, and righteousness
and sanctification and redemption, in order that, as it is written, 'Let
the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.'

The Benedictus (Morning), the Magnificat (Evening), or Nunc dimittis
(Night) may follow.

Prayer:
All-seeing, all-loving God,
you behold the human family as one.
You regard each of us as loved, redeemed, a temple of your Spirit.
Beholding you, we respond in thanks and praise as one Church.

Renew the Church in a dynamic sense of your grace.
Renew us, O Lord.

Work in us a continuing conversion:
Renew us, O Lord.

Give all your disciples eyes to see you in the ordinary:
Renew us, O Lord.

Lift the heavy hands of oppression
from the poor, the abused and the exploited:
Renew us, O Lord.

Kindle in the suffering and desperate
the warmth of your nearness and consolation:
Renew us, O Lord.

Stir up in us attention to the Spirit breathing within us:
Renew us, O Lord.

May I be no-one's enemy.
May I be the friend of that which is eternal.
May I never quarrel with those nearest me;
and if I do, may we be quickly reconciled.
May I love, seek, and attain only that which is good.
May I wish for the happiness of all and envy none.
May I never rejoice in the ill-fortune of any who have wronged me.
May I win no victory that harms either me or an opponent.
May I reconcile friends angry with one another.
May I, to the full extent of my poer, help my friends in their need,
and all who are in want.
May I never fail a friend in danger.
May I respect myself. Amen. [Eusebius of Caesarea]

Keep us true to the way of your Son,
that we may leave behind all that hinders us
and, with eyes fixed on Jesus,
walk surely in the path of the kingdom. Amen.

The psalms and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from Celebrating
Common Prayer (Mowbray), © The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is used
with permission.

The canticle is from Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition,
copyright © The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Edition), copyright © 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian Education of
the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by
permission. All rights reserved.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses phrases from two prayers reprinted
from Revised Common Lectionary Prayers, copyright © 2002 Consultation on
Common Texts

The intercession is reprinted from THE DAILY OFFICE: A Book of Hours of
Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint Luke, © 1997 by The Order
of Saint Luke. Used by permission.

The collect is a prayer by Eusebius of Caesarea (died ca. 340).

The closing prayer are adapted from prayers in Opening Prayers: Collects in
Contemporary Language. Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

Steve Benner
(The Rev. Dr. Stephen T. Benner)
Deacon, St. John's Episcopal Church, Worthington, Ohio
Oremus -- http://www.oremus.org