OREMUS: 23 June 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Jun 22 17:00:02 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Saturday, June 23, 2007
Etheldreda, Abbess of Ely, c.678

All glory and praise are yours, Lord God,,
creator of the universe and Father of all:
we thank you for calling us in Jesus
to be your beloved people
and temples of your Holy Spirit.

The Lord, the God of gods, has spoken;*
 he has called the earth
   from the rising of the sun to its setting.
Out of Zion, perfect in its beauty,*
 God reveals himself in glory.
Our God will come and will not keep silence;*
 before him there is a consuming flame,
   and round about him a raging storm.
He calls the heavens and the earth from above*
 to witness the judgement of his people.
'Gather before me my loyal followers,*
 those who have made a covenant with me
   and sealed it with sacrifice.'
Let the heavens declare the rightness of his cause;*
 for God himself is judge.
Hear, O my people, and I will speak:
   'O Israel, I will bear witness against you;*
 for I am God, your God.
'I do not accuse you because of your sacrifices;*
 your offerings are always before me.
'I will take no bull-calf from your stalls,*
 nor he-goats out of your pens;
'For the beasts of the forest are mine,*
 the herds in their thousands upon the hills.
'I know every bird in the sky,*
 and the creatures of the fields are in my sight.
'If I were hungry, I would not tell you,*
 for the whole world is mine and all that is in it.
'Do you think I eat the flesh of bulls,*
 or drink the blood of goats?
'Offer to God a sacrifice of thanksgiving*
 and make good your vows to the Most High.
'Call upon me in the day of trouble;*
 I will deliver you and you shall honour me.'
But to the wicked God says:*
 'Why do you recite my statutes,
   and take my covenant upon your lips;
'Since you refuse discipline,*
 and toss my words behind your back?
'When you see a thief, you make him your friend,*
 and you cast in your lot with adulterers.
'You have loosed your lips for evil,*
 and harnessed your tongue to a lie.
'You are always speaking evil of your brother*
 and slandering your own mother's son.
'These things you have done and I kept still,*
 and you thought that I am like you.
'I have made my accusation;*
 I have put my case in order before your eyes.
'Consider this well, you who forget God,*
 lest I rend you and there be none to deliver you.
'Whoever offers me the sacrifice of thanksgiving
   honours me;*
 but to those who keep in my way
   will I show the salvation of God.'

Psalm 57

Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful,
   for I have taken refuge in you;*
 in the shadow of your wings will I take refuge
   until this time of trouble has gone by.
I will call upon the Most High God,*
 the God who maintains my cause.
He will send from heaven and save me;
   he will confound those who trample upon me;*
 God will send forth his love and his faithfulness.
I lie in the midst of lions that devour the people;*
 their teeth are spears and arrows,
   their tongue a sharp sword.
They have laid a net for my feet and I am bowed low;*
 they have dug a pit before me
   but have fallen into it themselves.
 and your glory over all the earth.
My heart is firmly fixed, O God, my heart is fixed;*
 I will sing and make melody.
 I myself will waken the dawn.
I will confess you among the peoples, O Lord;*
 I will sing praise to you among the nations.
For your loving-kindness is greater than the heavens,*
 and your glory over all the earth.

A Song of God's Assembled (Hebrews 12:22-24a,28-29)

We have come before God's holy mountain,
to the heavenly Jerusalem, the city of the living God.

We have come before countless angels making festival,
before the assembly of the firstborn citizens of heaven.

We have come before God, who is judge of all,
before the spirits of the just made perfect.

We have come before Jesus,
the mediator of the new covenant.

We are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken:
so let us give thanks and offer to God acceptable worship,

full of reverence and awe;
for our God is a consuming fire.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Proverbs 11:3-13]:

The integrity of the upright guides them,
   but the crookedness of the treacherous destroys them.
Riches do not profit in the day of wrath,
   but righteousness delivers from death.
The righteousness of the blameless keeps their ways straight,
   but the wicked fall by their own wickedness.
The righteousness of the upright saves them,
   but the treacherous are taken captive by their schemes.
When the wicked die, their hope perishes,
   and the expectation of the godless comes to nothing.
The righteous are delivered from trouble,
   and the wicked get into it instead.
With their mouths the godless would destroy their neighbours,
   but by knowledge the righteous are delivered.
When it goes well with the righteous, the city rejoices;
   and when the wicked perish, there is jubilation.
By the blessing of the upright a city is exalted,
   but it is overthrown by the mouth of the wicked.
Whoever belittles another lacks sense,
   but an intelligent person remains silent.
A gossip goes about telling secrets,
   but one who is trustworthy in spirit keeps a confidence.

HYMN
Words: Edward Hayes Plumptre, 1864
Tune: St. Matthew

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t513.html

Thine arm, O Lord, in days of old
was strong to heal and save;
it triumphed o'er disease and death,
o'er darkness and the grave.
To thee they went, the blind, the dumb,
the palsied, and the lame,
the leper with his tainted life,
the sick with fevered frame.

And lo! thy touch brought life and health,
gave hearing, strength, and sight;
and youth renewed and frenzy calmed
owned thee, the Lord of light:
and now, O Lord, be near to bless,
almighty as of yore,
in crowded street, by restless couch,
as by Gennesaret's shore.

Be thou our great deliverer still,
thou Lord of life and death;
restore and quicken, soothe and bless,
with thine almighty breath:
to hands that work and eyes that see,
give wisdom's heavenly lore,
that whole and sick, and weak and strong,
may praise thee evermore.

SECOND READING [Matthew 9:27-34]:

As Jesus went on from there, two blind men followed him, crying loudly, 'Have mercy
on us, Son of David!' When he entered the house, the blind men came to him; and
Jesus said to them, 'Do you believe that I am able to do this?' They said to him, 'Yes,
Lord.' Then he touched their eyes and said, 'According to your faith let it be done to
you.' And their eyes were opened. Then Jesus sternly ordered them, 'See that no one
knows of this.' But they went away and spread the news about him throughout that
district.
After they had gone away, a demoniac who was mute was brought to him. And when
the demon had been cast out, the one who had been mute spoke; and the crowds were
amazed and said, 'Never has anything like this been seen in Israel.' But the Pharisees
said, 'By the ruler of the demons he casts out the demons.'

God of all time,
we bless you for the gift of this day
and for our hope in Christ Jesus.
In the midst of all that demands our attention,
free us to love you with all our hearts
and to love the world with your mercy and justice.

Let our love be genuine:
Kyrie eleison

Let our affections be tempered with holiness:
Kyrie eleison

Let our desires be shaped by the vision
of a new heaven and a new earth:
Kyrie eleison

Let our actions reflect the balance of love
for your reign in all things:
Kyrie eleison

Let our perceptions and feelings be ordered
by the hope we have in Christ:
Kyrie eleison

Grant, O God, that we may live in your fear,
die in your favor, rest in your peace,
rise in your power and reign in your glory;
for the sake of your Son,
our Savior Jesus Christ. Amen.

Eternal God,
who bestowed such grace upon your servant Ethelreda
that she gave herself wholly to the life of prayer
and to the service of your true religion:
grant that we, like her,
may so live our lives on earth seeking your kingdom
that by your guiding
we may be joined to the glorious fellowship of your saints;

Bless us in all we do
and bless all the places
in which your people will meet and work and play.
Help us to recognize your presence among us,
fill us with your joy,
and guide us at all times. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing prayer use phrases from a prayer by
Roy Williamson. The first collect is by William Laud.

The intercession is reprinted from _THE DAILY OFFICE: A Book of Hours of
Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order
of Saint Luke. Used by permission.

Etheldreda, also called Audrey, was born in Suffolk early in the seventh
century, a daughter of the king. She desired to commit her life to prayer and
chastity and, after two arranged and unconsummated marriages, founded a
religious house at Ely for both men and women, over which she ruled as
Abbess. At her death on this day in the year 678, she was revered as a woman
of austerity, prayer and prophecy. [Exciting Holiness]