OREMUS: 21 June 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Jun 20 17:00:01 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Thursday, June 21, 2007

All glory and praise are yours, Lord God,,
creator of the universe and Father of all:
we thank you for calling us in Jesus
to be your beloved people
and temples of your Holy Spirit.

   Give praise, you servants of the Lord;*
 praise the name of the Lord.
Let the name of the Lord be blessed,*
 from this time forth for evermore.
>From the rising of the sun to its going down*
 let the name of the Lord be praised.
The Lord is high above all nations,*
 and his glory above the heavens.
Who is like the Lord our God,
   who sits enthroned on high,*
 but stoops to behold the heavens and the earth?
He takes up the weak out of the dust*
 and lifts up the poor from the ashes.
He sets them with the princes,*
 with the princes of his people.
He makes the woman of a childless house*
 to be a joyful mother of children.

Psalm 119:1-24

Happy are they whose way is blameless,*
 who walk in the law of the Lord!
Happy are they who observe his decrees*
 and seek him with all their hearts!
Who never do any wrong,*
 but always walk in his ways.
You laid down your commandments,*
 that we should fully keep them.
O that my ways were made so direct*
 that I might keep your statutes!
Then I should not be put to shame,*
 when I regard all your commandments.
I will thank you with an unfeigned heart,*
 when I have learned your righteous judgements.
I will keep your statutes;*
 do not utterly forsake me.

How shall the young cleanse their way?*
 By keeping to your words.
With my whole heart I seek you;*
 let me not stray from your commandments.
I treasure your promise in my heart,*
 that I may not sin against you.
Blessed are you, O Lord;*
 instruct me in your statutes.
With my lips will I recite*
 all the judgements of your mouth.
I have taken greater delight in the way of your decrees*
 than in all manner of riches.
I will meditate on your commandments*
 and give attention to your ways.
My delight is in your statutes;*
 I will not forget your word.

Deal bountifully with your servant,*
 that I may live and keep your word.
Open my eyes, that I may see*
 the wonders of your law.
I am a stranger here on earth;*
 do not hide your commandments from me.
My soul is consumed at all times*
 with longing for your judgements.
You have rebuked the insolent;*
 cursed are they who stray from your commandments!
Turn from me shame and rebuke,*
 for I have kept your decrees.
Even though rulers sit and plot against me,*
 I will meditate on your statutes.
For your decrees are my delight,*
 and they are my counsellors.

A Song of Christ's Appearing (1 Timothy 3:16; 6:15-16)
Christ Jesus was revealed in the flesh
and vindicated in the spirit.

He was seen by angels
and proclaimed among the nations.

Believed in throughout the world,
he was taken up in glory.

This will be made manifest at the proper time
by the blessed and only Sovereign,

Who alone has immortality,
and dwells in unapproachable light.

To the King of kings and Lord of lords
be honour and eternal dominion. Amen.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [Genesis 24:1-21]:

Now Abraham was old, well advanced in years; and the Lord
had blessed Abraham in all things. Abraham said to his
servant, the oldest of his house, who had charge of all
that he had, 'Put your hand under my thigh and I will
make you swear by the Lord, the God of heaven and earth,
that you will not get a wife for my son from the
daughters of the Canaanites, among whom I live, but will
go to my country and to my kindred and get a wife for my
son Isaac.' The servant said to him, 'Perhaps the woman
may not be willing to follow me to this land; must I then
take your son back to the land from which you came?'
Abraham said to him, 'See to it that you do not take my
son back there. The Lord, the God of heaven, who took me
from my father's house and from the land of my birth, and
who spoke to me and swore to me, "To your offspring I
will give this land", he will send his angel before you;
you shall take a wife for my son from there. But if the
woman is not willing to follow you, then you will be free
from this oath of mine; only you must not take my son
back there.' So the servant put his hand under the thigh
of Abraham his master and swore to him concerning this
matter.
Then the servant took ten of his master's camels and
departed, taking all kinds of choice gifts from his
master; and he set out and went to Aram-naharaim, to the
city of Nahor. He made the camels kneel down outside the
city by the well of water; it was towards evening, the
time when women go out to draw water. And he said, 'O
Lord, God of my master Abraham, please grant me success
today and show steadfast love to my master Abraham. I am
standing here by the spring of water, and the daughters
of the townspeople are coming out to draw water. Let the
girl to whom I shall say, "Please offer your jar that I
may drink", and who shall say, "Drink, and I will water
your camels" let her be the one whom you have appointed
for your servant Isaac. By this I shall know that you
have shown steadfast love to my master.'
Before he had finished speaking, there was Rebekah, who
was born to Bethuel son of Milcah, the wife of Nahor,
Abraham's brother, coming out with her water-jar on her
shoulder. The girl was very fair to look upon, a virgin
whom no man had known. She went down to the spring,
filled her jar, and came up. Then the servant ran to meet
her and said, 'Please let me sip a little water from your
jar.' 'Drink, my lord,' she said, and quickly lowered her
jar upon her hand and gave him a drink. When she had
finished giving him a drink, she said, 'I will draw for
your camels also, until they have finished drinking.' So
she quickly emptied her jar into the trough and ran again
to the well to draw, and she drew for all his camels. The
man gazed at her in silence to learn whether or not the
Lord had made his journey successful.

HYMN
Words: Augustus Montague Toplady, 1775
Tune: Toplady, Petra

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/r/r082.html

Rock of ages, cleft for me,
let me hide myself in thee;
let the water and the blood
from thy wounded side which flowed,
be of sin the double cure,
cleanse me from its guilt and power.

Not the labor of my hands
can fulfill thy law's demands;
could my zeal no respite know,
could my tears forever flow,
all for sin could not atone;
thou must save, and thou alone.

Nothing in my hand I bring,
simply to the cross I cling;
naked, come to thee for dress;
helpless look to thee for grace;
foul, I to the fountain fly;
wash me, Savior, or I die.

While I draw this fleeting breath,
when mine eyelids close in death,
when I soar through tracts unknown
see thee on thy judgment throne,
Rock of ages, cleft for me,
let me hide myself in thee.

SECOND READING [Romans 2:17-29]:

But if you call yourself a Jew and rely on the law and boast of your relation to God
and know his will and determine what is best because you are instructed in the law,
and if you are sure that you are a guide to the blind, a light to those who are in
darkness, a corrector of the foolish, a teacher of children, having in the law the
embodiment of knowledge and truth, you, then, that teach others, will you not teach
yourself? While you preach against stealing, do you steal? You that forbid adultery, do
you commit adultery? You that abhor idols, do you rob temples? You that boast in the
law, do you dishonour God by breaking the law? For, as it is written, 'The name of
God is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you.'
Circumcision indeed is of value if you obey the law; but if you break the law, your
circumcision has become uncircumcision. So, if those who are uncircumcised keep the
requirements of the law, will not their uncircumcision be regarded as circumcision?
Then those who are physically uncircumcised but keep the law will condemn you that
have the written code and circumcision but break the law. For a person is not a Jew
who is one outwardly, nor is true circumcision something external and physical.
Rather, a person is a Jew who is one inwardly, and real circumcision is a matter of the
heart it is spiritual and not literal. Such a person receives praise not from others but
from God.

God of the apostles and martyrs,
we thank you for the hope that is from the beginning.
We bless you for the good news of Jesus
crucified, risen, and interceding for us
until his coming again in glory.

We commend to your care
all who walk and weep in grief and regret.

We pray in hope of your mercy.

We commend to you
all who live far from your image.
We pray in hope of your salvation.

We commend Holy Church,

We pray in hope of your glory.

We commend to your justice all peoples
who participate in oppression, strife and domination of others.
We pray in hope of your justice and peace.

We commend to you all who have died.
We pray in hope of your resurrection.

We commend to you our unfinished business.
We pray in hope of rest in you.

O Lord God,
who has called your servants
to ventures of which we cannot see the ending;
by paths as yet untrodden,
through perils unknown;
give us faith to go out with good courage,
not knowing where we go,
but only that your hand is leading us
and your love supporting us;
to the glory of your Name. Amen.

Bless us in all we do
and bless all the places
in which your people will meet and work and play.
Help us to recognize your presence among us,
fill us with your joy,
and guide us at all times. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing prayer use phrases from a prayer by
Roy Williamson. The collect is from Daily Prayer, 1941.

The intercession is reprinted from _THE DAILY OFFICE: A Book of Hours of
Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order
of Saint Luke. Used by permission.