OREMUS: 20 June 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Jun 19 17:00:01 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Wednesday, June 20, 2007

All glory and praise are yours, Lord God,,
creator of the universe and Father of all:
we thank you for calling us in Jesus
to be your beloved people
and temples of your Holy Spirit.

Those who trust in the Lord are like Mount Zion,*
 which cannot be moved, but stands fast for ever.
The hills stand about Jerusalem;*
 so does the Lord stand round about his people,
   from this time forth for evermore.
The sceptre of the wicked shall not hold sway
   over the land allotted to the just,*
 so that the just shall not put their hands to evil.
Show your goodness, O Lord, to those who are good*
 and to those who are true of heart.
As for those who turn aside to crooked ways,
   the Lord will lead them away with the evildoers;*
 but peace be upon Israel.

Psalm 126

When the Lord restored the fortunes of Zion,*
 then were we like those who dream.
Then was our mouth filled with laughter,*
 and our tongue with shouts of joy.
Then they said among the nations,*
 'The Lord has done great things for them.'
The Lord has done great things for us,*
 and we are glad indeed.
Restore our fortunes, O Lord,*
 like the watercourses of the Negev.
Those who sowed with tears*
 will reap with songs of joy.
Those who go out weeping, carrying the seed,*
 will come again with joy, shouldering their sheaves.

Psalm 127

Unless the Lord builds the house,*
 their labour is in vain who build it.
Unless the Lord watches over the city,*
 in vain the guard keeps vigil.
It is in vain that you rise so early
   and go to bed so late;*
 vain, too, to eat the bread of toil,
   for he gives to his beloved sleep.
Children are a heritage from the Lord,*
 and the fruit of the womb is a gift.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior*
 are the children of one's youth.
Happy are they who have their quiver full of them!*
 they shall not be put to shame
   when they contend with their enemies in the gate.

A Song of the Bride (Isaiah 61.10,11; 62.1-3)

I will greatly rejoice in the Lord,
my soul shall exult in my God;

Who has clothed me with the garments of salvation,
and has covered me with the cloak of integrity,

As a bridegroom decks himself with a garland,
and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.

For as the earth puts forth her blossom,
and as seeds in the garden spring up,

So shall God make righteousness and praise
blossom before all the nations.

For Zion's sake, I will not keep silent,
and for Jerusalem's sake I will not rest,

Until her deliverance shines out like the dawn,
and her salvation as a burning torch.

The nations shall see your deliverance,
and all rulers shall see your glory;

Then you shall be called by a new name
which the mouth of God will give.

You shall be a crown of glory in the hand of the Lord,
a royal diadem in the hand of your God.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [2 Samuel 19:31-43]:

Now Barzillai the Gileadite had come down from Rogelim;
he went on with the king to the Jordan, to escort him
over the Jordan. Barzillai was a very aged man, eighty
years old. He had provided the king with food while he
stayed at Mahanaim, for he was a very wealthy man. The
king said to Barzillai, 'Come over with me, and I will
provide for you in Jerusalem at my side.' But Barzillai
said to the king, 'How many years have I still to live,
that I should go up with the king to Jerusalem? Today I
am eighty years old; can I discern what is pleasant and
what is not? Can your servant taste what he eats or what
he drinks? Can I still listen to the voice of singing men
and singing women? Why then should your servant be an
added burden to my lord the king? Your servant will go a
little way over the Jordan with the king. Why should the
king recompense me with such a reward? Please let your
servant return, so that I may die in my own town, near
the graves of my father and my mother. But here is your
servant Chimham; let him go over with my lord the king;
and do for him whatever seems good to you.' The king
answered, 'Chimham shall go over with me, and I will do
for him whatever seems good to you; and all that you
desire of me I will do for you.' Then all the people
crossed over the Jordan, and the king crossed over; the
king kissed Barzillai and blessed him, and he returned to
his own home. The king went on to Gilgal, and Chimham
went on with him; all the people of Judah, and also half
the people of Israel, brought the king on his way.
Then all the people of Israel came to the king, and said
to him, 'Why have our kindred the people of Judah stolen
you away, and brought the king and his household over the
Jordan, and all David's men with him?' All the people of
Judah answered the people of Israel, 'Because the king is
near of kin to us. Why then are you angry over this
matter? Have we eaten at all at the king's expense? Or
has he given us any gift?' But the people of Israel
answered the people of Judah, 'We have ten shares in the
king, and in David also we have more than you. Why then
did you despise us? Were we not the first to speak of
bringing back our king?' But the words of the people of
Judah were fiercer than the words of the people of
Israel.

HYMN
Words: James Montgomery, 1825
Tune: St. Thomas (Williams), Carlisle

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/s/s328.html

Stand up and bless the Lord
ye people of his choice;
stand up and bless the Lord your God
with heart and soul and voice.

Though high above all praise,
above all blessing high,
who would not fear his holy Name,
and laud and magnify?

O for the living flame
from His own altar brought,
to touch our lips, our minds inspire,
and wing to heaven our thought!

God is our Strength and Song,
and his salvation ours;
then be his love in Christ proclaimed
with all our ransomed thoughts.

Stand up and bless the Lord;
the Lord your God adore;
stand up and bless his glorious Name;
henceforth forevermore.

SECOND READING [Mark 2:1-12]:

When he returned to Capernaum after some days, it was reported that he was at home.
So many gathered around that there was no longer room for them, not even in front of
the door; and he was speaking the word to them. Then some people came, bringing to
him a paralysed man, carried by four of them. And when they could not bring him to
Jesus because of the crowd, they removed the roof above him; and after having dug
through it, they let down the mat on which the paralytic lay. When Jesus saw their
faith, he said to the paralytic, 'Son, your sins are forgiven.' Now some of the scribes
were sitting there, questioning in their hearts, 'Why does this fellow speak in this way?
It is blasphemy! Who can forgive sins but God alone?' At once Jesus perceived in his
spirit that they were discussing these questions among themselves; and he said to
them, 'Why do you raise such questions in your hearts? Which is easier, to say to the
paralytic, "Your sins are forgiven", or to say, "Stand up and take your mat and walk"?
But so that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive
sins' he said to the paralytic  'I say to you, stand up, take your mat and go to your
home.' And he stood up, and immediately took the mat and went out before all of
them; so that they were all amazed and glorified God, saying, 'We have never seen
anything like this!'

Bountiful God, you give us every good gift;
hear us as we offer our prayers to you.

We pray for our family and friends
and for all who are dear to us,
that in following you and rejoicing in your mercy,
they may share in your joy for ever.
Bountiful God,
hear our prayer.

We pray for those who are worn by their work,
for older persons and for children,
that they may know you are the strength of the weak
and the refuge of the distressed.
Bountiful God,
hear our prayer.

We pray for all who follow Christ,
that they may grow in their sense of discipleship
and calling to proclaim the Good News to others.
Bountiful God,
hear our prayer.

We pray for all in the medical professions,
that they may work wisely to promote health,
knowing that you are source of all healing.
Bountiful God,
hear our prayer.

We pray for all who are persecuted
for the sake of righteousness
and for all who are oppressed,
that they may gain the true liberation which comes from you alone.
Bountiful God,
hear our prayer.

Give to us, O God, a heart of joy,
that rests in your peace
and a soul of tranquility that delights in your beauty;
a spirit of glory that sings your praise,
a life of serenity at home in your presence
and a mind of quietness renewed by your Spirit;

Bless us in all we do
and bless all the places
in which your people will meet and work and play.
Help us to recognize your presence among us,
fill us with your joy,
and guide us at all times. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing prayer use phrases from a prayer by
Roy Williamson.

The intercession is by Stephen T. Benner and the collect is by Evelyn Underhill.