OREMUS: 19 June 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Jun 18 17:00:01 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Tuesday, June 19, 2007

All glory and praise are yours, Lord God,,
creator of the universe and Father of all:
we thank you for calling us in Jesus
to be your beloved people
and temples of your Holy Spirit.

When I was in trouble I called to the Lord,*
 I called to the Lord and he answered me.
Deliver me, O Lord, from lying lips*
 and from the deceitful tongue.
What shall be done to you and what more besides,*
 O you deceitful tongue?
The sharpened arrows of a warrior,*
 along with hot glowing coals.
How hateful it is that I must lodge in Meshech*
 and dwell among the tents of Kedar!
Too long have I had to live*
 among the enemies of peace.
I am on the side of peace,*
 but when I speak of it, they are for war.

Psalm 121

I lift up my eyes to the hills;*
 from where is my help to come?
My help comes from the Lord,*
 the maker of heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot be moved*
 and he who watches over you will not fall asleep.
Behold, he who keeps watch over Israel*
 shall neither slumber nor sleep;
The Lord himself watches over you;*
 the Lord is your shade at your right hand,
So that the sun shall not strike you by day,*
 nor the moon by night.
The Lord shall preserve you from all evil;*
 it is he who shall keep you safe.
The Lord shall watch over your going out
   and your coming in,*
 from this time forth for evermore.

Psalm 122

I was glad when they said to me,*
 'Let us go to the house of the Lord.'
Now our feet are standing*
 within your gates, O Jerusalem.
Jerusalem is built as a city*
 that is at unity with itself.
To which the tribes go up, the tribes of the Lord,*
 the assembly of Israel, to praise the name of the Lord.
For there are the thrones of judgement,*
 the thrones of the house of David.
Pray for the peace of Jerusalem:*
 'May they prosper who love you.
'Peace be within your walls*
 and quietness within your towers.
'For my family and companions' sake,*
 I pray for your prosperity.
'Because of the house of the Lord our God,*
 I will seek to do you good.'

A Song of Baruch (Baruch 5.5,6c,7-9

Arise, O Jerusalem, stand upon the height:
look to the east and see your children,

Gathered from the west and the east
at the word of the Holy One.

They rejoice that God has remembered them
and has brought them back to you.

For God has ordered that every high mountain
and the everlasting hills be made low,

And the valleys filled up to make level ground
so that they may walk safely in the glory of God.

The woods and every fragrant tree
have shaded them at God's command.

For God will lead his people with joy
in the light of his glory
with the mercy and righteousness that comes from God.

FIRST READING [Genesis 31:17-35]:

So Jacob arose, and set his children and his wives on
camels; and he drove away all his livestock, all the
property that he had gained, the livestock in his
possession that he had acquired in Paddan-aram, to go to
his father Isaac in the land of Canaan.
Now Laban had gone to shear his sheep, and Rachel stole
her father's household gods. And Jacob deceived Laban the
Aramean, in that he did not tell him that he intended to
flee. So he fled with all that he had; starting out he
crossed the Euphrates, and set his face towards the hill
country of Gilead.
On the third day Laban was told that Jacob had fled. So
he took his kinsfolk with him and pursued him for seven
days until he caught up with him in the hill country of
Gilead. But God came to Laban the Aramean in a dream by
night, and said to him, 'Take heed that you say not a
word to Jacob, either good or bad.'
Laban overtook Jacob. Now Jacob had pitched his tent in
the hill country, and Laban with his kinsfolk camped in
the hill country of Gilead. Laban said to Jacob, 'What
have you done? You have deceived me, and carried away my
daughters like captives of the sword. Why did you flee
secretly and deceive me and not tell me? I would have
sent you away with mirth and songs, with tambourine and
lyre. And why did you not permit me to kiss my sons and
my daughters farewell? What you have done is foolish. It
is in my power to do you harm; but the God of your father
spoke to me last night, saying, "Take heed that you speak
to Jacob neither good nor bad." Even though you had to go
because you longed greatly for your father's house, why
did you steal my gods?' Jacob answered Laban, 'Because I
was afraid, for I thought that you would take your
daughters from me by force. But anyone with whom you find
your gods shall not live. In the presence of our
kinsfolk, point out what I have that is yours, and take
it.' Now Jacob did not know that Rachel had stolen the
gods.
So Laban went into Jacob's tent, and into Leah's tent,
and into the tent of the two maids, but he did not find
them. And he went out of Leah's tent, and entered
Rachel's. Now Rachel had taken the household gods and put
them in the camel's saddle, and sat on them. Laban felt
all about in the tent, but did not find them. And she
said to her father, 'Let not my lord be angry that I
cannot rise before you, for the way of women is upon me.'
So he searched, but did not find the household gods.

HYMN
Words: Claude de Santeil (1628-1684)
trans. John Chandler and Henry Williams Baker
Tune: St. Thomas (Webbe)

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/n/n129.html

Now my soul, thy voice upraising,
tell in sweet and mournful strain
how the Crucified, enduring
grief and wounds, and dying pain,
freely of his love was offered,
sinless was for sinners slain.

See, his hands and feet are fastened!
So he makes his people free;
not a wound whence blood is flowing
but a fount of grace shall be;
yea, the very nails which nail him
nail us also to the Tree.

Jesus, may those precious fountains
drink to thirsting souls afford;
let them be our cup and healing,
and at length our full reward:
so a ransomed world shall ever
praise thee, its redeeming Lord.

SECOND READING [Galatians 3:10-14]:

For all who rely on the works of the law are under a curse; for it is written, 'Cursed is
everyone who does not observe and obey all the things written in the book of the law.'
Now it is evident that no one is justified before God by the law; for 'The one who is
righteous will live by faith.' But the law does not rest on faith; on the contrary,
'Whoever does the works of the law will live by them.' Christ redeemed us from the
curse of the law by becoming a curse for us for it is written, 'Cursed is everyone
who hangs on a tree'  in order that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might
come to the Gentiles, so that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Ever-present Spirit of God,
as we abide with you and you with us,
we cry out for our brothers and sisters:
Healing Spirit,
hear our prayer.

For all who suffer want, loneliness or depression:
Healing Spirit,
hear our prayer.

For racial, cultural and national groups
who suffer prejudice, oppressive leaders
or economic exploitation.
Healing Spirit,
hear our prayer.

For the Church in those places where it suffers
blindness, controversy, disorientation,
persecution or change.
Healing Spirit,
hear our prayer.

For those we have to tried to love and serve today.
Healing Spirit,
hear our prayer.

God of our joy and gladness,
hear our prayer for the peace of this world
and bring us at last,
with all our companions in faith,
to the peace of that city where you live and reign,
Father, Son and Holy Spirit,
now and to all eternity. Amen.

Bless us in all we do
and bless all the places
in which your people will meet and work and play.
Help us to recognize your presence among us,
fill us with your joy,
and guide us at all times. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing prayer use phrases from a prayer by
Roy Williamson.