OREMUS: 17 June 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Jun 16 17:00:01 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Sunday, June 17, 2007
The Third Sunday after Pentecost

All glory and praise are yours, Lord God,,
creator of the universe and Father of all:
we thank you for calling us in Jesus
to be your beloved people
and temples of your Holy Spirit.

Happy are they whose transgressions are forgiven,*
 and whose sin is put away!
Happy are they to whom the Lord imputes no guilt,*
 and in whose spirit there is no guile!
While I held my tongue, my bones withered away,*
 because of my groaning all day long.
For your hand was heavy upon me day and night;*
 my moisture was dried up as in the heat of summer.
Then I acknowledged my sin to you,*
 and did not conceal my guilt.
I said, 'I will confess my transgressions to the Lord';*
 then you forgave me the guilt of my sin.
Therefore all the faithful will make their prayers to you
   in time of trouble;*
 when the great waters overflow, they shall not reach them.
You are my hiding-place;
   you preserve me from trouble;*
 you surround me with shouts of deliverance.
'I will instruct you and teach you
   in the way that you should go;*
 I will guide you with my eye.
'Do not be like horse or mule,
   which have no understanding;*
 who must be fitted with bit and bridle,
   or else they will not stay near you.'
Great are the tribulations of the wicked;*
 but mercy embraces those who trust in the Lord.
Be glad, you righteous, and rejoice in the Lord;*
 shout for joy, all who are true of heart.

Psalm 99

The Lord is king; let the people tremble;*
 he is enthroned upon the cherubim; let the earth shake.
The Lord is great in Zion;*
 he is high above all peoples.
Let them confess his name, which is great and awesome;*
 he is the Holy One.
'O mighty King, lover of justice,
   you have established equity;*
 you have executed justice and righteousness in Jacob.'
Proclaim the greatness of the Lord our God
   and fall down before his footstool;*
 he is the Holy One.
Moses and Aaron among his priests,
   and Samuel among those who call upon his name,*
 they called upon the Lord and he answered them.
He spoke to them out of the pillar of cloud;*
 they kept his testimonies
   and the decree that he gave them.
'O Lord our God, you answered them indeed;*
 you were a God who forgave them,
   yet punished them for their evil deeds.'
Proclaim the greatness of the Lord our God
   and worship him upon his holy hill;*
 for the Lord our God is the Holy One.

A Song of Redemption (Colossians 1.13-18a,19,20a)

The Father has delivered us from the dominion of darkness,
and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son;

In whom we have redemption,
the forgiveness of our sins.

He is the image of the invisible God,
the firstborn of all creation.

For in him all things were created,
in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible.

All things were created through him and for him,
he is before all things and in him all things hold together.

He is the head of the body, the Church,
he is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead.

In him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell;
and through him God was pleased to reconcile all things.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [2 Chron 30:13-27]:

Many people came together in Jerusalem to keep the festival of unleavened bread in
the second month, a very large assembly. They set to work and removed the altars that
were in Jerusalem, and all the altars for offering incense they took away and threw into
the Wadi Kidron. They slaughtered the passover lamb on the fourteenth day of the
second month. The priests and the Levites were ashamed, and they sanctified
themselves and brought burnt-offerings into the house of the Lord. They took their
accustomed posts according to the law of Moses the man of God; the priests dashed
the blood that they received from the hands of the Levites. For there were many in the
assembly who had not sanctified themselves; therefore the Levites had to slaughter the
passover lamb for everyone who was not clean, to make it holy to the Lord. For a
multitude of the people, many of them from Ephraim, Manasseh, Issachar, and
Zebulun, had not cleansed themselves, yet they ate the passover otherwise than as
prescribed. But Hezekiah prayed for them, saying, 'The good Lord pardon all who set
their hearts to seek God, the Lord the God of their ancestors, even though not in
accordance with the sanctuary's rules of cleanness.' The Lord heard Hezekiah, and
healed the people. The people of Israel who were present at Jerusalem kept the festival
of unleavened bread for seven days with great gladness; and the Levites and the priests
praised the Lord day by day, accompanied by loud instruments for the Lord. Hezekiah
spoke encouragingly to all the Levites who showed good skill in the service of the
Lord. So the people ate the food of the festival for seven days, sacrificing offerings of
well-being and giving thanks to the Lord the God of their ancestors.
Then the whole assembly agreed together to keep the festival for another seven days;
so they kept it for another seven days with gladness. For King Hezekiah of Judah gave
the assembly a thousand bulls and seven thousand sheep for offerings, and the officials
gave the assembly a thousand bulls and ten thousand sheep. The priests sanctified
themselves in great numbers. The whole assembly of Judah, the priests and the
Levites, and the whole assembly that came out of Israel, and the resident aliens who
came out of the land of Israel, and the resident aliens who lived in Judah, rejoiced.
There was great joy in Jerusalem, for since the time of Solomon son of King David of
Israel there had been nothing like this in Jerusalem. Then the priests and the Levites
stood up and blessed the people, and their voice was heard; their prayer came to his
holy dwelling in heaven.

HYMN
Words: verses 1-2: The Psalms of David in Meeter (The Scottish Psalter), 1650;
verses 3-4: Carl P. Daw, Jr.
Tune: Brother James' Air

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h/h404.html

How lovely is thy dwelling place,
O Lord of hosts, to me!
My thirsty soul desires and longs
within thy courts to be;
my very heart and flesh cry out,
O living God for thee.

Beside thine altars, gracious Lord,
the swallows find a nest;
how happy they who dwell with thee
and praise thee without rest,
and happy they whose hearts are set
upon the pilgrim's quest.

They who go through the desert vale
will find it filled with springs,
and they shall climb from height to height
till Zion's temple rings
with praise to thee, in glory throned,
Lord God, great King of kings.

One day within thy courts excels
a thousand spent away;
how happy they who keep thy laws
nor from thy precepts stray,
for thou shalt surely bless all those
who live the words they pray.

SECOND READING [Luke 5:17-26]:

One day, while Jesus was teaching, Pharisees and teachers of the law were sitting
nearby (they had come from every village of Galilee and Judea and from Jerusalem);
and the power of the Lord was with him to heal. Just then some men came, carrying a
paralysed man on a bed. They were trying to bring him in and lay him before Jesus; but
finding no way to bring him in because of the crowd, they went up on the roof and let
him down with his bed through the tiles into the middle of the crowd in front of Jesus.
When he saw their faith, he said, 'Friend, your sins are forgiven you.' Then the scribes
and the Pharisees began to question, 'Who is this who is speaking blasphemies? Who
can forgive sins but God alone?' When Jesus perceived their questionings, he
answered them, 'Why do you raise such questions in your hearts? Which is easier, to
say, "Your sins are forgiven you", or to say, "Stand up and walk"? But so that you
may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins' he said to the
one who was paralysed 'I say to you, stand up and take your bed and go to your
home.' Immediately he stood up before them, took what he had been lying on, and
went to his home, glorifying God. Amazement seized all of them, and they glorified
God and were filled with awe, saying, 'We have seen strange things today.'

We remember Jesus' words, "Stay awake praying at all times."
Let us pray for our needs and the needs of our world: . . ,

That God's forgiveness will be a source of peace,
for those working at peace-making among the nations and peoples of our world.
God of Peace, hear us

That God's forgiveness will be a source of wisdom,
for all the members of the church taking responsibility in service.
God of Service, hear us

That God's forgiveness, will be a source of comfort,
for those who are 'tested' by suffering in mind or body.
God of Healing, hear us

That God's forgiveness, will be a source of holiness for us,
as we walk in the way of Jesus.
God of companions,
hear us

Holy God,
God of wisdom and love,
You understand our needs even before we ask.
Show us Your goodness, in answer to these prayers,
so that keeping Your commandments may be our joy.
We ask you this through Jesus: Amen

Christ Jesus,
whose glory was poured out like perfume,
and who chose for our sake to take the form of a slave:
May we also pour out our love with holy extravagance,
that our lives may be fragrant with you. Amen

Bless us in all we do
and bless all the places
in which your people will meet and work and play.
Help us to recognize your presence among us,
fill us with your joy,
and guide us at all times. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing prayer use phrases from a prayer by
Roy Williamson.

Hymn vv. 3-4 (c) 1982 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
For permission to reproduce this hymn, contact:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com