OREMUS: 16 June 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Jun 15 17:00:01 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Saturday, June 16, 2007
Joseph Butler, Bishop of Durham, Philosopher, 1752

Blessed are you, Gracious God,
your Holy Spiritor gives us tongues of fire
and inspires us to speak of justice without fear or prejudice.
You call us to change
so that words of liberation may come from our lips.
You empower us to raise our voices
to shout out loud the good news
of your coming Reign for all,
revealed to us in your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

The Lord, the God of gods, has spoken;*
 he has called the earth
   from the rising of the sun to its setting.
Out of Zion, perfect in its beauty,*
 God reveals himself in glory.
Our God will come and will not keep silence;*
 before him there is a consuming flame,
   and round about him a raging storm.
He calls the heavens and the earth from above*
 to witness the judgement of his people.
'Gather before me my loyal followers,*
 those who have made a covenant with me
   and sealed it with sacrifice.'
Let the heavens declare the rightness of his cause;*
 for God himself is judge.
Hear, O my people, and I will speak:
   'O Israel, I will bear witness against you;*
 for I am God, your God.
'I do not accuse you because of your sacrifices;*
 your offerings are always before me.
'I will take no bull-calf from your stalls,*
 nor he-goats out of your pens;
'For the beasts of the forest are mine,*
 the herds in their thousands upon the hills.
'I know every bird in the sky,*
 and the creatures of the fields are in my sight.
'If I were hungry, I would not tell you,*
 for the whole world is mine and all that is in it.
'Do you think I eat the flesh of bulls,*
 or drink the blood of goats?
'Offer to God a sacrifice of thanksgiving*
 and make good your vows to the Most High.
'Call upon me in the day of trouble;*
 I will deliver you and you shall honour me.'
But to the wicked God says:*
 'Why do you recite my statutes,
   and take my covenant upon your lips;
'Since you refuse discipline,*
 and toss my words behind your back?
'When you see a thief, you make him your friend,*
 and you cast in your lot with adulterers.
'You have loosed your lips for evil,*
 and harnessed your tongue to a lie.
'You are always speaking evil of your brother*
 and slandering your own mother's son.
'These things you have done and I kept still,*
 and you thought that I am like you.
'I have made my accusation;*
 I have put my case in order before your eyes.
'Consider this well, you who forget God,*
 lest I rend you and there be none to deliver you.
'Whoever offers me the sacrifice of thanksgiving
   honours me;*
 but to those who keep in my way
   will I show the salvation of God.'

Psalm 57

Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful,
   for I have taken refuge in you;*
 in the shadow of your wings will I take refuge
   until this time of trouble has gone by.
I will call upon the Most High God,*
 the God who maintains my cause.
He will send from heaven and save me;
   he will confound those who trample upon me;*
 God will send forth his love and his faithfulness.
I lie in the midst of lions that devour the people;*
 their teeth are spears and arrows,
   their tongue a sharp sword.
They have laid a net for my feet and I am bowed low;*
 they have dug a pit before me
   but have fallen into it themselves.
 and your glory over all the earth.
My heart is firmly fixed, O God, my heart is fixed;*
 I will sing and make melody.
 I myself will waken the dawn.
I will confess you among the peoples, O Lord;*
 I will sing praise to you among the nations.
For your loving-kindness is greater than the heavens,*
 and your glory over all the earth.

A Song of Christ's Appearing (1 Timothy 3:16; 6:15-16)
Christ Jesus was revealed in the flesh
and vindicated in the spirit.

He was seen by angels
and proclaimed among the nations.

Believed in throughout the world,
he was taken up in glory.

This will be made manifest at the proper time
by the blessed and only Sovereign,

Who alone has immortality,
and dwells in unapproachable light.

To the King of kings and Lord of lords
be honour and eternal dominion. Amen.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Proverbs 11:3-13]:

The integrity of the upright guides them,
   but the crookedness of the treacherous destroys them.
Riches do not profit in the day of wrath,
   but righteousness delivers from death.
The righteousness of the blameless keeps their ways straight,
   but the wicked fall by their own wickedness.
The righteousness of the upright saves them,
   but the treacherous are taken captive by their schemes.
When the wicked die, their hope perishes,
   and the expectation of the godless comes to nothing.
The righteous are delivered from trouble,
   and the wicked get into it instead.
With their mouths the godless would destroy their neighbours,
   but by knowledge the righteous are delivered.
When it goes well with the righteous, the city rejoices;
   and when the wicked perish, there is jubilation.
By the blessing of the upright a city is exalted,
   but it is overthrown by the mouth of the wicked.
Whoever belittles another lacks sense,
   but an intelligent person remains silent.
A gossip goes about telling secrets,
   but one who is trustworthy in spirit keeps a confidence.

HYMN
Words: Brian Wren (c)
Tune: Arfon Manor

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h/h328.html

Holy Spirit, storm of love,
break our self-protective walls.
Bring us out and show us why,
nakedly upon the cross,
open to the wind and sky,
Jesus waits and Jesus calls.

Show us, in his tortured flesh,
earth's Creator on display,
broken by affairs of state,
drinking horror, pain and grief,
arching in the winds of hate,
giving love and life away.

Show us how this dying love
entered, bore, and understood
all our deep, unconscious drives,
each exploiting, evil thread
woven through our nations' lives,
all our life apart from God.

Thus convicted, claimed, and called,
freed, as Christ we freely choose,
washed in love, reborn, renamed,
doing justice, knowing God,
may we witness unashamed,
confident to give good news:

News that Jesus is alive,
as his people of the Dove,
going out in praise and prayer,
meet the evils of our time
and the demons of despair
with forgiving, living love.

SECOND READING [Matthew 9:27-34]:

As Jesus went on from there, two blind men followed him, crying loudly, 'Have mercy
on us, Son of David!' When he entered the house, the blind men came to him; and
Jesus said to them, 'Do you believe that I am able to do this?' They said to him, 'Yes,
Lord.' Then he touched their eyes and said, 'According to your faith let it be done to
you.' And their eyes were opened. Then Jesus sternly ordered them, 'See that no one
knows of this.' But they went away and spread the news about him throughout that
district.
After they had gone away, a demoniac who was mute was brought to him. And when
the demon had been cast out, the one who had been mute spoke; and the crowds were
amazed and said, 'Never has anything like this been seen in Israel.' But the Pharisees
said, 'By the ruler of the demons he casts out the demons.'

In your glory, Lord, protect us by the power of your name:
that we may be one as you are one.

We are in the world but not of it:
protect us from the evil one.

Give us your word and the full measure of your joy:
sanctify us by your truth.

May your Spirit unite us in the love and glory of Father and Son;
may we be one that the world may believe.

As you sent your Son into the world:
so send us, to make your glory known.

Tender God,
gentle protector in time of trouble:
pierce the gloom of despair
and give us, with all your people,
the song of freedom and the shout of praise,
in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

O God,
by your Holy Spirit
you give to some the word of wisdom,
to others the word of knowledge,
to others the word of faith:
We praise your Name for the gifts of grace
manifested in your servant Joseph Butler,
and we pray that your Church
may never be destitute of such gifts;

Creating and re-creating God,
guide us, inspire us,
as we join the dance of life,
that in your transforming grace and power,
we may become a people of joy. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses phrases from a prayer by Tony Singleton.

Hymn (c) 1986 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
In US, Canada, Australia & New Zealand:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
www.stainer.co.uk

The closing sentence uses phrases from a prayer by Elizabeth S. Tapia.

Butler was born in 1692 and ordained in 1718. In 1726 he published Fifteen
Sermons, preached at the Rolls Chapel in London, and chiefly dealing with
human nature and its implications for ethics and practical Christian life. He
maintained that it is normal for a man to have an instinct of self-interest, which
leads him to seek his own good, and equally normal for him to have an instinct
of benevolence, which leads him to seek the good of others individually and
generally, and that the two aims do not in fact conflict.
He served as parish priest in several parishes, and in 1736 was appointed
chaplain to Queen Caroline, wife of King George II. In the same year he
published his masterpiece, The Analogy of Religion, Natural and Revealed, to
the Constitution and Course of Nature (often cited simply as "Butler's
Analogy"), a work chiefly directed against Deism, of which more will be said
below. Appended to the main work was a treatise, Of the Nature of Virtue,
which establishes him as one of the foremost British writers on ethics, or moral
philosophy.
When the Queen died in 1737, Butler was made Bishop of Bristol. However,
George II had been impressed with him earlier, and in 1746 he was called back
to court and the next year offered the post of Archbishop of Canterbury. He
refused the post, but in 1750 he became Bishop of Durham. He died there on
16 June 1752. [James Kiefer, abridged; for the original, see
http://elvis.rowan.edu/~kilroy/JEK/06/16.html]