OREMUS: 15 June 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Jun 14 17:00:01 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Friday, June 15, 2007
The Divine Compassion of Our Lord Jesus Christ
(The Sacred Heart of Jesus)

Blessed are you, almighty and eternal God,
for the gift of your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
He gave himself for us in wondrous love
and was lifted up on the cross
that the riches of your grace might be revealed in him.
For this we give you thanks and praise,

Psalm 36:5-10 [CCP]

Your love, O Lord, reaches to the heavens,*
 and your faithfulness to the clouds.
Your righteousness is like the strong mountains,
   your justice like the great deep;*
 you save both human and beast, O Lord.
How priceless is your love, O God!*
 your people take refuge under the shadow of your wings.
They feast upon the abundance of your house;*
 you give them drink from the river of your delights.
For with you is the well of life,*
 and in your light we see light.
Continue your loving-kindness to those who know you,*
 and your favour to those who are true of heart.

Psalm 61

Hear my cry, O God,*
 and listen to my prayer.
I call upon you from the ends of the earth
   with heaviness in my heart;*
 set me upon the rock that is higher than I.
For you have been my refuge,*
 a strong tower against the enemy.
I will dwell in your house for ever;*
 I will take refuge under the cover of your wings.
For you, O God, have heard my vows;*
 you have granted me the heritage
   of those who fear your name.
Add length of days to the king's life;*
 let his years extend over many generations.
Let him sit enthroned before God for ever;*
 bid love and faithfulness watch over him.
So will I always sing the praise of your name,*
 and day by day I will fulfil my vows.

Psalm 130

Out of the depths have I called to you, O Lord;
   Lord, hear my voice;*
 let your ears consider well the voice of my supplication.
If you, Lord, were to note what is done amiss,*
 O Lord, who could stand?
For there is forgiveness with you;*
 therefore you shall be feared.
I wait for the Lord; my soul waits for him;*
 in his word is my hope.
My soul waits for the Lord,
   more than the night-watch for the morning,*
 more than the night-watch for the morning.
O Israel, wait for the Lord,*
 for with the Lord there is mercy;
With him there is plenteous redemption,*
 and he shall redeem Israel from all their sins.

Salvator Mundi (Henry Allon)

Jesus, Saviour of the world,
come to us in your mercy:
we look to you to save and help us.

By your cross and your life laid down,
you set your people free:
we look to you to save and help us.

When they were ready to perish, you saved your disciples:
we look to you to come to our help.

In the greatness of your mercy, loose us from our chains,
forgive the sins of all your people.

Make yourself known as our saviour and mighty deliverer;
save and help us that we may praise you.

Come now and dwell with us, Lord Christ Jesus:
hear our prayer and be with us always.

And when you come in your glory:
make us to be one with you
and to share the life of your kingdom.

READING [Jeremiah 30:18-22]:

Thus says the Lord:
I am going to restore the fortunes of the tents of Jacob,
   and have compassion on his dwellings;
the city shall be rebuilt upon its mound,
   and the citadel set on its rightful site.
Out of them shall come thanksgiving,
   and the sound of merrymakers.
I will make them many, and they shall not be few;
   I will make them honoured, and they shall not be disdained.
Their children shall be as of old,
   their congregation shall be established before me;
   and I will punish all who oppress them.
Their prince shall be one of their own,
   their ruler shall come from their midst;
I will bring him near, and he shall approach me,
   for who would otherwise dare to approach me?
says the Lord.
And you shall be my people,
   and I will be your God.

HYMN
Words: Samuel Crossman (1624-1683), 1664
Tune: Love Unknown
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/m/m187.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/m/m187.ht
ml

My song is love unknown,
my Savior's love to me,
love to the loveless shown
that they might lovely be.
O who am I
that for my sake
my Lord should take
frail flesh and die?

He came from his blest throne
salvation to bestow,
but men made strange, and none
the longed-for Christ would know.
But O my friend,
my friend indeed,
who at my need,
his life did spend.

Sometimes they strew his way,
and his strong praises sing,
resounding all the day
hosannas to their King.
Then "Crucify!"
is all their breath,
and for his death
they thirst and cry.

Why, what hath my Lord done?
What makes this rage and spite?
He made the lame to run,
he gave the blind their sight.
Sweet injuries!
Yet they at these
themselves displease,
and 'gainst him rise.

They rise, and needs will have
my dear Lord made away;
a murderer they save,
the Prince of Life they slay.
Yet steadfast he
to suffering goes,
that he his foes
from thence might free.

Here might I stay and sing,
no story so divine:
never was love, dear King,
never was grief like thine.
This is my friend,
in whose sweet praise
I all my days
could gladly spend.

SECOND READING [Ephesians 1:1-14]:

Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God,
To the saints who are in Ephesus and are faithful in
Christ Jesus:
Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord
Jesus Christ.
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual
blessing in the heavenly places, just as he chose us in
Christ before the foundation of the world to be holy and
blameless before him in love. He destined us for adoption
as his children through Jesus Christ, according to the
good pleasure of his will, to the praise of his glorious
grace that he freely bestowed on us in the Beloved. In
him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness
of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace
that he lavished on us. With all wisdom and insight he
has made known to us the mystery of his will, according
to his good pleasure that he set forth in Christ, as a
plan for the fullness of time, to gather up all things in
him, things in heaven and things on earth. In Christ we
have also obtained an inheritance, having been destined
according to the purpose of him who accomplishes all
things according to his counsel and will, so that we, who
were the first to set our hope on Christ, might live for
the praise of his glory. In him you also, when you had
heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation,
and had believed in him, were marked with the seal of the
promised Holy Spirit; this is the pledge of our
inheritance towards redemption as God's own people, to
the praise of his glory.

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
With faith and love and in union with Christ,
let us offer our prayer before the throne of grace.

Have mercy on your people,
for whom your Son laid down his life.
Lord have mercy upon us.

Bring healing and wholeness to people and nations,
and have pity on those torn apart by division.
Lord have mercy upon us.

Strengthen all who are persecuted for your name's sake,
and deliver them from evil.
Lord have mercy upon us.

Look in mercy upon all who suffer,
and hear those who cry out in pain and desolation.
Lord have mercy upon us.

Bring comfort to the dying,
and gladden their hearts with the power of your glory.
Lord have mercy upon us.

Give rest to the departed and bring them, with your saints,
to glory everlasting.
Lord have mercy upon us.

As we rejoice in the triumph of the cross,
we pray that the whole of creation may find fulfilment
in the eternal kingdom of God:

O God,
whose steadfast love never ceases
and whose compassion never fails:
come with the dawning of the new day
and reveal your power in our lives,
that your glory may be exalted in all the earth;

Compassionate God,
grant that our experience of your pardon
may increase our love
until it reflects your own immeasurable forgiveness;

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen T. Benner and is based on
phrases in a prayer from _We Give You Thanks and Praise: The
Ambrosian Eucharistic Prefaces_, translated by Alan Griffiths, (c)
The Canterbury Press Norwich, 1999; and other phrases in _Celebrating

The closing prayer is adapted from a prayer in _Opening Prayers: Collects
in Contemporary Language_. Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.