OREMUS: 10 June 2007

oremus at insight.rr.com oremus at insight.rr.com
Sun Jun 10 01:17:07 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Sunday, June 10, 2007
The Second Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, Sovereign God, creator of all,
to you be glory and praise for ever.
You founded the earth in the beginning
and the heavens are the work of your hands.
In the fullness of time you made us in your image,
and in these last days you have spoken to us
in your Son Jesus Christ, the Word made flesh.
As we rejoice in the gift of your presence among us
let the light of your love always shine in our hearts,
your Spirit ever renew our lives
and your praises ever be on our lips.

   1. I will exalt you, O LORD,
      because you have lifted me up *
      and have not let my enemies triumph over me.
   2. O LORD my God, I cried out to you, *
      and you restored me to health.
   3. You brought me up, O LORD, from the dead; *
      you restored my life as I was going down to the grave.
   4. Sing to the LORD, you servants of his; *
      give thanks for the remembrance of his holiness.
   5. For his wrath endures but the twinkling of an eye, *
      his favor for a lifetime.
   6. Weeping may spend the night, *
      but joy comes in the morning.
   7. While I felt secure, I said,
      "I shall never be disturbed. *
      You, LORD, with your favor, made me as strong as
      the mountains."
   8. Then you hid your face, *
      and I was filled with fear.
   9. I cried to you, O LORD; *
      I pleaded with the Lord, saying,
  10. "What profit is there in my blood, if I go down to the Pit? *
      will the dust praise you or declare your faithfulness?
  11. Hear, O LORD, and have mercy upon me; *
      O LORD, be my helper."
  12. You have turned my wailing into dancing; *
      you have put off my sack-cloth and clothed me with joy.
  13. Therefore my heart sings to you without ceasing; *
      O LORD my God, I will give you thanks for ever.

Psalm 100
   1. Be joyful in the LORD, all you lands; *
      serve the LORD with gladness
      and come before his presence with a song.
   2. Know this: The LORD himself is God; *
      he himself has made us, and we are his;
      we are his people and the sheep of his pasture.
   3. Enter his gates with thanksgiving;
      go into his courts with praise; *
      give thanks to him and call upon his Name.
   4. For the LORD is good;
      his mercy is everlasting; *
     and his faithfulness endures from age to age.

A Song of the Bride

I will greatly rejoice in the Lord,
my soul shall exult in my God;

Who has clothed me with the garments of salvation,
and has covered me with the cloak of integrity,

As a bridegroom decks himself with a garland,
and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.

For as the earth puts forth her blossom,
and as seeds in the garden spring up,

So shall God make righteousness and praise
blossom before all the nations.

For Zion's sake, I will not keep silent,
and for Jerusalem's sake I will not rest,

Until her deliverance shines out like the dawn,
and her salvation as a burning torch.

The nations shall see your deliverance,
and all rulers shall see your glory;

Then you shall be called by a new name
which the mouth of God will give.

You shall be a crown of glory in the hand of the Lord,
a royal diadem in the hand of your God.

Psalm 117

   1. Praise the LORD, all you nations; *
      laud him, all you peoples.
   2. For his loving-kindness toward us is great, *
      and the faithfulness of the LORD endures for ever.
      Hallelujah!

FIRST READING [Genesis 22:1-14]:

After these things God tested Abraham. He said to him, ‘Abraham!’ And he
said, ‘Here I am.’ He said, ‘Take your son, your only son Isaac, whom
you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a
burnt-offering on one of the mountains that I shall show you.’ So
Abraham rose early in the morning, saddled his donkey, and took two of
his young men with him, and his son Isaac; he cut the wood for the
burnt-offering, and set out and went to the place in the distance that
God had shown him. On the third day Abraham looked up and saw the place
far away. Then Abraham said to his young men, ‘Stay here with the
donkey; the boy and I will go over there; we will worship, and then we
will come back to you.’ Abraham took the wood of the burnt-offering and
laid it on his son Isaac, and he himself carried the fire and the knife.
So the two of them walked on together. Isaac said to his father Abraham,
‘Father!’ And he said, ‘Here I am, my son.’ He said, ‘The fire and the
wood are
 here, but where is the lamb for a burnt-offering?’ Abraham said, ‘God
himself will provide the lamb for a burnt-offering, my son.’ So the two
of them walked on together.

When they came to the place that God had shown him, Abraham built an
altar there and laid the wood in order. He bound his son Isaac, and laid
him on the altar, on top of the wood. Then Abraham reached out his hand
and took the knife to kill his son. But the angel of the Lord called to
him from heaven, and said, ‘Abraham, Abraham!’ And he said, ‘Here I am.’
He said, ‘Do not lay your hand on the boy or do anything to him; for now
I know that you fear God, since you have not withheld your son, your
only son, from me.’ And Abraham looked up and saw a ram, caught in a
thicket by its horns. Abraham went and took the ram and offered it up as
a burnt-offering instead of his son. So Abraham called that place ‘The
Lord will provide’; as it is said to this day, ‘On the mount of the Lord
it shall be provided.’

HYMN
Words: John Ellerton, 1871Tune: King's Lynn, Munich, Ellacombe,
Llangloffan, Missionary

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w145.html

We sing the glorious conquest
before Damascus' gate,
when Saul, the Church's spoiler
came breathing threats and hate.
The ravening wolf rushed forward
full early to the prey;
but lo! the Shepherd met him,
and bound him fast today.

O glory most excelling
that smote across his path!
O light that pierced and blinded
the zealot in his wrath!
O voice that spake within him
the calm, reproving word!
O love that sought and held him
the bondman of his Lord!

O Wisdom ordering all things
in order strong and sweet,
what nobler spoil was ever
cast at the Victor's feet?
What wiser master builder
e'er wrought at thine employ
than he, till now so furious
thy building to destroy?

Lord, teach thy Church the lesson,
still in her darkest hour
of weakness and of danger,
to trust thy hidden power;
thy grace by ways mysterious
the wrath of man can bind,
and in thy boldest foeman
thy chosen saint can find.

SECOND READING [Acts 22:6-21]:

Paul said, ‘While I was on my way and approaching Damascus, about noon a
great light from heaven suddenly shone about me. I fell to the ground
and heard a voice saying to me, “Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting
me?” I answered, “Who are you, Lord?” Then he said to me, “I am Jesus of
Nazareth whom you are persecuting.” Now those who were with me saw the
light but did not hear the voice of the one who was speaking to me. I
asked, “What am I to do, Lord?” The Lord said to me, “Get up and go to
Damascus; there you will be told everything that has been assigned to
you to do.” Since I could not see because of the brightness of that
light, those who were with me took my hand and led me to Damascus.

‘A certain Ananias, who was a devout man according to the law and well
spoken of by all the Jews living there, came to me; and standing beside
me, he said, “Brother Saul, regain your sight!” In that very hour I
regained my sight and saw him. Then he said, “The God of our ancestors
has chosen you to know his will, to see the Righteous One and to hear
his own voice; for you will be his witness to all the world of what you
have seen and heard. And now why do you delay? Get up, be baptized, and
have your sins washed away, calling on his name.”

‘After I had returned to Jerusalem and while I was praying in the
temple, I fell into a trance and saw Jesus saying to me, “Hurry and get
out of Jerusalem quickly, because they will not accept your testimony
about me.” And I said, “Lord, they themselves know that in every
synagogue I imprisoned and beat those who believed in you. And while the
blood of your witness Stephen was shed, I myself was standing by,
approving and keeping the coats of those who killed him.” Then he said
to me, “Go, for I will send you far away to the Gentiles.” ’

O God Our Creator,
you have graced us with the gift of life and a world to live in.
Empower and strengthen the witness of your church
that, true to its calling, it may proclaim
your radical and boundless love, in word and deed.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Saving God,
you nourish and sustain us by Word and Sacrament.
Strengthen all the people of our church,
especially our bishops, priests and deacons.
Grant that, sustained in you, our service and witness in this land
may be full of faith and love.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

O God, Source of our life,
you have adopted us in the waters of baptism
and made us your own in love.
We pray that we may embrace our lives and the lives of others
with courage and compassion, unafraid of joy and pain, sickness and health.
May your care be made known in our care.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

God of Justice,
you revealed your power in the servanthood of Jesus.
May those who govern the nations use their authority
in wisdom, kindness and peace.
Awaken in all who govern a thirst for justice
that embodies your care for this earth and the human community.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Liberating God,
you are the hope of the weak and the needy.
Rescue those who suffer poverty, injustice or oppression when they cry out.
Open the ears of our hearts to hear
and quicken in us the fire to respond in love.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Compassionate One,
you are a well-spring of comfort and healing.
Grant comfort, healing and release
to those who suffer illness, distress or grief.
Awaken in us boundless compassion
and use us as agents of lovingkindness.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

God of all generations,
we thank you for the gift of the lives
and the loving service of all who have died.
Keep us in the bonds of love with all the saints throughout the ages
and bring us to the fullness of your reign.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

O God of Love,
hear the prayers of your people.
Enliven us by your Spirit, to live into the fullness of your reign.
We pray through Jesus, our life and our hope. Amen.

- The  Lord's Prayer

O Lord our God,
grant us grace to desire you with our whole heart;
that so desiring, we may seek and find you;
and so finding, may love you;
and so loving, may hate those sins
from which you have delivered us;
through Jesus Christ our Lord.Amen.

The psalms and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from Celebrating
Common Prayer (Mowbray), © The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which
is used with permission.

The canticle is from Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary
Edition, copyright © The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Edition), copyright © 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian Education