OREMUS: 4 June 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Jun 3 17:00:01 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Monday, June 4, 2007
John XXIII, Bishop of Rome, Reformer, 1963

Blessed are you, Sovereign God, creator of all,
to you be glory and praise for ever.
You founded the earth in the beginning
and the heavens are the work of your hands.
In the fullness of time you made us in your image,
and in these last days you have spoken to us
in your Son Jesus Christ, the Word made flesh.
As we rejoice in the gift of your presence among us
let the light of your love always shine in our hearts,
your Spirit ever renew our lives
and your praises ever be on our lips.

Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful,
   for I have taken refuge in you;*
 in the shadow of your wings will I take refuge
   until this time of trouble has gone by.
I will call upon the Most High God,*
 the God who maintains my cause.
He will send from heaven and save me;
   he will confound those who trample upon me;*
 God will send forth his love and his faithfulness.
I lie in the midst of lions that devour the people;*
 their teeth are spears and arrows,
   their tongue a sharp sword.
They have laid a net for my feet and I am bowed low;*
 they have dug a pit before me
   but have fallen into it themselves.
 and your glory over all the earth.
My heart is firmly fixed, O God, my heart is fixed;*
 I will sing and make melody.
 I myself will waken the dawn.
I will confess you among the peoples, O Lord;*
 I will sing praise to you among the nations.
For your loving-kindness is greater than the heavens,*
 and your glory over all the earth.

Psalm 66

Be joyful in God, all you lands;*
 sing the glory of his name;
   sing the glory of his praise.
Say to God, 'How awesome are your deeds!*
 because of your great strength
   your enemies cringe before you.
'All the earth bows down before you,*
 sings to you, sings out your name.'
Come now and see the works of God,*
 how wonderful he is in his doing towards all people.
He turned the sea into dry land,
   so that they went through the water on foot,*
 and there we rejoiced in him.
In his might he rules for ever;
   his eyes keep watch over the nations;*
 let no rebel rise up against him.
Bless our God, you peoples;*
 make the voice of his praise to be heard;
Who holds our souls in life,*
 and will not allow our feet to slip.
For you, O God, have proved us;*
 you have tried us just as silver is tried.
You brought us into the snare;*
 you laid heavy burdens upon our backs.
You let enemies ride over our heads;
   we went through fire and water;*
 but you brought us out into a place of refreshment.
I will enter your house with burnt-offerings
   and will pay you my vows,*
 which I promised with my lips
   and spoke with my mouth when I was in trouble.
I will offer you sacrifices of fat beasts
   with the smoke of rams;*
 I will give you oxen and goats.
Come and listen, all you who fear God,*
 and I will tell you what he has done for me.
I called out to him with my mouth,*
 and his praise was on my tongue.
If I had found evil in my heart,*
 the Lord would not have heard me;
But in truth God has heard me;*
 he has attended to the voice of my prayer.
Blessed be God, who has not rejected my prayer,*
 nor withheld his love from me.

A Song of God's Children (Romans 8:2,14,15b-19)

The law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus
has set us free from the law of sin and death.

All who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God;
for we have received the Spirit that enables us to cry, 'Abba, Father'.

The Spirit himself bears witness that we are children of God
and if God's children, then heirs of God;

If heirs of God, then fellow-heirs with Christ;
since we suffer with him now, that we may be glorified with him.

These sufferings that we now endure
are not worth comparing to the glory that shall be revealed.

For the creation waits with eager longing
for the revealing of the children of God.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Ezekiel 8:1-18]:

In the sixth year, in the sixth month, on the fifth day
of the month, as I sat in my house, with the elders of
Judah sitting before me, the hand of the Lord God fell
upon me there. I looked, and there was a figure that
looked like a human being; below what appeared to be its
loins it was fire, and above the loins it was like the
appearance of brightness, like gleaming amber. It
stretched out the form of a hand, and took me by a lock
of my head; and the spirit lifted me up between earth and
heaven, and brought me in visions of God to Jerusalem, to
the entrance of the gateway of the inner court that faces
north, to the seat of the image of jealousy, which
provokes to jealousy. And the glory of the God of Israel
was there, like the vision that I had seen in the
valley.
Then God said to me, 'O mortal, lift up your eyes now in
the direction of the north.' So I lifted up my eyes
towards the north, and there, north of the altar gate, in
the entrance, was this image of jealousy. He said to me,
'Mortal, do you see what they are doing, the great
abominations that the house of Israel are committing
here, to drive me far from my sanctuary? Yet you will see
still greater abominations.'

And he brought me to the entrance of the court; I looked,
and there was a hole in the wall. Then he said to me,
'Mortal, dig through the wall'; and when I dug through
the wall, there was an entrance. He said to me, 'Go in,
and see the vile abominations that they are committing
here.' So I went in and looked; there, portrayed on the
wall all round, were all kinds of creeping things, and
loathsome animals, and all the idols of the house of
Israel. Before them stood seventy of the elders of the
house of Israel, with Jaazaniah son of Shaphan standing
among them. Each had his censer in his hand, and the
fragrant cloud of incense was ascending. Then he said to
me, 'Mortal, have you seen what the elders of the house
of Israel are doing in the dark, each in his room of
images? For they say, "The Lord does not see us, the Lord
has forsaken the land." ' He said also to me, 'You will
see still greater abominations that they are
committing.'
Then he brought me to the entrance of the north gate of
the house of the Lord; women were sitting there weeping
for Tammuz. Then he said to me, 'Have you seen this, O
mortal? You will see still greater abominations than
these.'

And he brought me into the inner court of the house of
the Lord; there, at the entrance of the temple of the
Lord, between the porch and the altar, were about
twenty-five men, with their backs to the temple of the
Lord, and their faces towards the east, prostrating
themselves to the sun towards the east. Then he said to
me, 'Have you seen this, O mortal? Is it not bad enough
that the house of Judah commits the abominations done
here? Must they fill the land with violence, and provoke
my anger still further? See, they are putting the branch
to their nose! Therefore I will act in wrath; my eye will
not spare, nor will I have pity; and though they cry in
my hearing with a loud voice, I will not listen to them.'

HYMN
Words: Edward Henry Plumptre (1821-1891)
Tune: Neumark
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o411.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o
/o411.html

O Lord of hosts, all heaven possessing,
behold us from thy sapphire throne,
in doubt and darkness dimly guessing,
we might thy glory half have known;
but thou in Christ hast made us thine,
and on us all thy beauties shine.

Illumine all, disciples, teachers,
thy law's deep wonders to unfold;
with reverent hand let wisdom's preachers
bring forth their treasures, new and old;
let oldest, youngest, find in thee
of truth and love the boundless sea.

Let faith still light the lamp of science,
and knowledge pass from truth to truth,
and wisdom, in its full reliance,
renew the primal awe of youth;
so holier, wiser, may we grow,
as time's swift currents onward flow.

Bind thou our life in fullest union
with all thy saints from sin set free;
uphold us in that blest communion
of all thy saints on earth with thee;
keep thou our souls, or there or here,
in mightiest love, that casts out fear.

SECOND READING [Acts 8:26-40]:

Then an angel of the Lord said to Philip, 'Get up and go towards the south to the road
that goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza.' (This is a wilderness road.) So he got up and
went. Now there was an Ethiopian eunuch, a court official of the Candace, queen of
the Ethiopians, in charge of her entire treasury. He had come to Jerusalem to worship
and was returning home; seated in his chariot, he was reading the prophet Isaiah. Then
the Spirit said to Philip, 'Go over to this chariot and join it.' So Philip ran up to it and
heard him reading the prophet Isaiah. He asked, 'Do you understand what you are
reading?' He replied, 'How can I, unless someone guides me?' And he invited Philip to
get in and sit beside him. Now the passage of the scripture that he was reading was
this:
'Like a sheep he was led to the slaughter,
   and like a lamb silent before its shearer,
     so he does not open his mouth.
In his humiliation justice was denied him.
   Who can describe his generation?
     For his life is taken away from the earth.'
The eunuch asked Philip, 'About whom, may I ask you, does the prophet say this,
about himself or about someone else?' Then Philip began to speak, and starting with
this scripture, he proclaimed to him the good news about Jesus. As they were going
along the road, they came to some water; and the eunuch said, 'Look, here is water!
What is to prevent me from being baptized?' He commanded the chariot to stop, and
both of them, Philip and the eunuch, went down into the water, and Philip baptized
him. When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord snatched Philip away;
the eunuch saw him no more, and went on his way rejoicing. But Philip found himself
at Azotus, and as he was passing through the region, he proclaimed the good news to
all the towns until he came to Caesarea.

Creator and Sustainer of life, God,
who ever calls us back
to his ways of justice and peace:
we thank you for the gift of the land,
for its beauty, and its resources,
and the rich heritage we enjoy.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

And so we pray:
for those who make decisions about our land and its resources;
for those who work on the land and sea,
in our cities, and in commerce and industry;
for artists, scientists, politicians, and visionaries.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

We pray for your Church, especially the Diocese of
 Cyangugu, Rwanda, The Rt Revd Geoffrey Rwubusisi, Bishop.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

We thank you for giving us life, and for giving us our life together.
We pray for all who through their own or others' actions
are deprived of fullness of life;
for all who know sickness, disability, and an untimely death;
for all who devote their lives to ministering to the needs of others.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

Give us reverence for life in this, your created world.
May we reflect the goodness of your creation
in the society we create with and for one another.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

Tender God,
gentle protector in time of trouble:
pierce the gloom of despair
and give us, with all your people,
the song of freedom and the shout of praise,
in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Almighty God,
whose will it is to heal all division and discord
among those who call upon the name of your Son:
We thank you for the good will shown in your servant John,
and we pray that we may always be ready to hear
our fellow Christians with humility and a willingness to learn,
and may also speak the truth in love,
to the healing of faction and the renewed witness of your people;
through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you
in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, now and ever. Amen.

O Lord our God,
grant us grace to desire you with our whole heart;
that so desiring, we may seek and find you;
and so finding, may love you;
and so loving, may hate those sins
from which you have delivered us;
through Jesus Christ our Lord.Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from _Common
WorshipServices and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from
which is included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council,
2000.

The closing sentence is attributed to Saint Anselm and is from _Common
Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from
which is included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops'
Council, 2000., 2002.