OREMUS: 2 June 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Jun 1 23:19:42 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Saturday, June 2, 2007

Blessed are you, God of heaven and earth,
before the foundation of the universe and the beginning of time
you are the triune God:
the Author of creation,
the eternal Word of salvation,
and the life-giving Spirit of wisdom
You guide us to all truth by your Spirit,
that we may proclaim all that Christ revealed
and rejoice in the glroy he shared with us.

I said, 'I will keep watch upon my ways,*
 so that I do not offend with my tongue.
'I will put a muzzle on my mouth*
 while the wicked are in my presence.'
So I held my tongue and said nothing;*
 I refrained from rash words;
   but my pain became unbearable.
My heart was hot within me;
   while I pondered, the fire burst into flame;*
 I spoke out with my tongue:
Lord, let me know my end and the number of my days,*
 so that I may know how short my life is.
You have given me a mere handful of days,
   and my lifetime is as nothing in your sight;*
 truly, even those who stand erect are but a puff of wind.
We walk about like a shadow
   and in vain we are in turmoil;*
 we heap up riches and cannot tell who will gather them.
And now, what is my hope?*
 O Lord, my hope is in you.
Deliver me from all my transgressions*
 and do not make me the taunt of the fool.
I fell silent and did not open my mouth,*
 for surely it was you that did it.
Take your affliction from me;*
 I am worn down by the blows of your hand.
With rebukes for sin you punish us;
   like a moth you eat away all that is dear to us;*
 truly, everyone is but a puff of wind.
Hear my prayer, O Lord, and give ear to my cry;*
 hold not your peace at my tears.
For I am but a sojourner with you,*
 a wayfarer, as all my forebears were.
Turn your gaze from me, that I may be glad again,*
 before I go my way and am no more.

A Song of God's Love (1 John 4:7-11,12b)
Beloved, let us love one another,
for love is of God;
everyone who loves is born of God and knows God.

Whoever does not love does not know God,
for God is love.

In this the love of God was revealed among us,
that God sent his only Son into the world,
so that we might live through him.

In this is love,
not that we loved God but that he loved us,
and sent his Son to be the expiation for our sins.

Beloved, since God loved us so much,
we ought also to love one another.

For if we love one another, God abides in us,
and God's love will be perfected in us.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [1 Kings 18:1-19]:

After many days the word of the Lord came to Elijah, in
the third year of the drought, saying, 'Go, present
yourself to Ahab; I will send rain on the earth.' So
Elijah went to present himself to Ahab. The famine was
severe in Samaria. Ahab summoned Obadiah, who was in
charge of the palace. (Now Obadiah revered the Lord
greatly; when Jezebel was killing off the prophets of the
Lord, Obadiah took a hundred prophets, hid them fifty to
a cave, and provided them with bread and water.) Then
Ahab said to Obadiah, 'Go through the land to all the
springs of water and to all the wadis; perhaps we may
find grass to keep the horses and mules alive, and not
lose some of the animals.' So they divided the land
between them to pass through it; Ahab went in one
direction by himself, and Obadiah went in another
direction by himself.
As Obadiah was on the way, Elijah met him; Obadiah
recognized him, fell on his face, and said, 'Is it you,
my lord Elijah?' He answered him, 'It is I. Go, tell your
lord that Elijah is here.' And he said, 'How have I
sinned, that you would hand your servant over to Ahab, to
kill me? As the Lord your God lives, there is no nation
or kingdom to which my lord has not sent to seek you; and
when they would say, "He is not here", he would require
an oath of the kingdom or nation, that they had not found
you. But now you say, "Go, tell your lord that Elijah is
here." As soon as I have gone from you, the spirit of the
Lord will carry you I know not where; so, when I come and
tell Ahab and he cannot find you, he will kill me,
although I your servant have revered the Lord from my
youth. Has it not been told my lord what I did when
Jezebel killed the prophets of the Lord, how I hid a
hundred of the Lord's prophets fifty to a cave, and
provided them with bread and water? Yet now you say, "Go,
tell your lord that Elijah is here"; he will surely kill
me.' Elijah said, 'As the Lord of hosts lives, before
whom I stand, I will surely show myself to him today.' So
Obadiah went to meet Ahab, and told him; and Ahab went to
meet Elijah.
When Ahab saw Elijah, Ahab said to him, 'Is it you, you
troubler of Israel?' He answered, 'I have not troubled
Israel; but you have, and your father's house, because
you have forsaken the commandments of the Lord and
followed the Baals. Now therefore have all Israel
assemble for me at Mount Carmel, with the four hundred
and fifty prophets of Baal and the four hundred prophets
of Asherah, who eat at Jezebel's table.'

HYMN
Words: Anonymous, based on Psalm 46
Tune:

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b012.html

Be still and know that I am God,
be still and know that I am God,
be still and know that I am God.

I am the Lord that healeth thee,
I am the Lord that healeth thee,
I am the Lord that healeth thee.

In thee, O Lord, I put my trust,
In thee, O Lord, I put my trust,
In thee, O Lord, I put my trust.

SECOND READING [Luke 4:31-37]:

Jesus went down to Capernaum, a city in Galilee, and was teaching them on the
sabbath. They were astounded at his teaching, because he spoke with authority. In the
synagogue there was a man who had the spirit of an unclean demon, and he cried out
with a loud voice, 'Let us alone! What have you to do with us, Jesus of Nazareth?
Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are, the Holy One of God.' But Jesus
rebuked him, saying, 'Be silent, and come out of him!' When the demon had thrown
him down before them, he came out of him without having done him any harm. They
were all amazed and kept saying to one another, 'What kind of utterance is this? For
with authority and power he commands the unclean spirits, and out they come!' And a
report about him began to reach every place in the region.

In every time of trouble,
you, O God, are a very present help.
You are with us, sustaining our world in freedom,
restraining the powers of darkness, of death and of destruction;
embracing us all with arms of love, to enfold and to hold.
And so we bring to you our prayers for ourselves,
for those we love, and for our world.

We pray for ourselves and our own needs:
Whatever you would have us to be;
whatever we need to love our neighbor as ourselves,
whatever we need to love one another:
Bountiful Source of Love:
hear our prayer.

We pray for those we love:
Our hopes and dreams for them;
our anguish and anxiety on their behalf;
our desire to make life easier for them.
Bountiful Source of Love:
hear our prayer.

We pray for our world:
Our pain at what we have done to creation;
our wonder at the beauty of that which we have not yet spoiled;
our calling to establish justice and peace.
Bountiful Source of Love:
hear our prayer.

O Christ, Son of the living God,
grant that we may ever seek you
and feed on you all our days,
for you are in all and with all and through all,
Jesus, Lord and God. Amen.

Savior,
send us to earth's ends with water and words
and startle us with the grace, love, and communion
of your unity in diversity,
that we may live to the praise of your majestic Name. Amen.

_Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_, copyright (c) 2002 Consultation
on Common Texts