OREMUS: 30 July 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Jul 29 17:47:44 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Monday, July 30, 2007
William Wilberforce, Social Reformer, 1833

the giver of every gift that endures.
By the word of your Son,
you challenge our foolishness,
confront our greed,
and shape our lives
to the wisdom of the Gospel.

The Lord said to my lord, 'Sit at my right hand,*
 until I make your enemies your footstool.'
The Lord will send the sceptre of your power
   out of Zion,*
 saying, 'Rule over your enemies round about you.
'Princely state has been yours
   from the day of your birth,*
 in the beauty of holiness have I begotten you,
   like dew from the womb of the morning.'
The Lord has sworn and he will not recant:*
 'You are a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek.'

   I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart,*
 in the assembly of the upright, in the congregation.
Great are the deeds of the Lord!*
 they are studied by all who delight in them.
His work is full of majesty and splendour,*
 and his righteousness endures for ever.
He makes his marvellous works to be remembered;*
 the Lord is gracious and full of compassion.
He gives food to those who fear him;*
 he is ever mindful of his covenant.
He has shown his people the power of his works*
 in giving them the lands of the nations.
The works of his hands are faithfulness and justice;*
 all his commandments are sure.
They stand fast for ever and ever,*
 because they are done in truth and equity.
He sent redemption to his people;
   he commanded his covenant for ever;*
 holy and awesome is his name.
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom;*
 those who act accordingly have a good understanding;
   his praise endures for ever.

A Song of Divine Love (1 Corinthians 13:4-13)

Love is patient and kind,
 love is not jealous or boastful,
 it is not arrogant or rude.

Love does not insist on its own way,
 It is not angry or resentful.

It does not rejoice in wrongdoing
 but rejoices in the truth.

Love bears all things and believes all things;
 love hopes all things and endures all things.

Love will never come to an end,
 but prophecy will vanish,
 tongues cease and knowledge pass away.

Now we know only in part
 and we prophesy only in part,

But when the perfect comes,
 the partial shall pass away.

When I was a child, I spoke like a child,
 I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child.

But when I became mature,
 I put an end to childish ways.

For now we see only puzzling reflections in a mirror,
 but then we will see face to face.

Now I know only in part;
 then I shall know fully,
 even as I have been fully known.

There are three things that last for ever,
  faith, hope and love,
 but the greatest of these is love.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING []:

Therefore, I will now persuade her,
   and bring her into the wilderness,
   and speak tenderly to her.
>From there I will give her her vineyards,
   and make the Valley of Achor a door of hope.
There she shall respond as in the days of her youth,
   as at the time when she came out of the land of Egypt.
On that day, says the Lord, you will call me, 'My husband', and no
longer will you call me, 'My Baal'. For I will remove the names of
the Baals from her mouth, and they shall be mentioned by name no
more. I will make for you a covenant on that day with the wild
animals, the birds of the air, and the creeping things of the ground;
and I will abolish the bow, the sword, and war from the land; and I
will make you lie down in safety. And I will take you for my wife for
ever; I will take you for my wife in righteousness and in justice, in
steadfast love, and in mercy. I will take you for my wife in
faithfulness; and you shall know the Lord.
On that day I will answer, says the Lord,
   I will answer the heavens
   and they shall answer the earth;
and the earth shall answer the grain, the wine, and the oil,
   and they shall answer Jezreel;
   and I will sow him for myself in the land.
And I will have pity on Lo-ruhamah,
   and I will say to Lo-ammi, 'You are my people';
   and he shall say, 'You are my God.'

The Lord said to me again, 'Go, love a woman who has a lover and is
an adulteress, just as the Lord loves the people of Israel, though
they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes.' So I bought her for
fifteen shekels of silver and a homer of barley and a measure of
wine. And I said to her, 'You must remain as mine for many days; you
shall not play the whore, you shall not have intercourse with a man,
nor I with you.' For the Israelites shall remain many days without
king or prince, without sacrifice or pillar, without ephod or
teraphim. Afterwards the Israelites shall return and seek the Lord
their God, and David their king; they shall come in awe to the Lord
and to his goodness in the latter days.

HYMN
Words:  James Weldon Johnson, 1899
Tune: Lift every voice

>http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t698.html<a href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l117.html"

Lift every voice and sing
till earth and heaven ring,
ring with the harmonies of liberty.
Let our rejoicing rise
high as the listening skies;
let it resound loud as the rolling sea.
Sing a song full of the faith that the dark past has taught us;
sing a song full of the hope that the present has brought us;
facing the rising sun
of our new day begun,
let us march on, till victory is won.

Stony the road we trod,
bitter the chastening rod,
felt in the days when hope unborn had died;
yet, with a steady beat,
have not our weary feet
come to the place for which our parents sighed?
We have come over a way that with tears have been watered;
we have come, treading our path through the blood of the slaughtered,
out from the gloomy past,
till now we stand at last
where the white gleam of our bright star is cast.

God of our weary years,
God of our silent tears,
thou who hast brought us thus far on the way;
thou who hast by thy might led us into the light;
keep us for ever in the path, we pray.
Lest our feet stray from the places, our God, where we met thee;
lest, our hearts drunk with the wine of the world, we forget thee;
shadowed beneath thy hand
may we for ever stand,
true to our God, true to our native land.

SECOND READING [Colossians 2:16-3:1]:

 Therefore do not let anyone condemn you in matters of food and drink or of
observing festivals, new moons, or sabbaths. These are only a shadow of what is to
come, but the substance belongs to Christ. Do not let anyone disqualify you, insisting
on self-abasement and worship of angels, dwelling on visions, puffed up without cause
by a human way of thinking, and not holding fast to the head, from whom the whole
body, nourished and held together by its ligaments and sinews, grows with a growth
that is from God.
 If with Christ you died to the elemental spirits of the universe, why do you live as if
you still belonged to the world? Why do you submit to regulations, 'Do not handle,
Do not taste, Do not touch'? All these regulations refer to things that perish with use;
they are simply human commands and teachings. These have indeed an appearance of
wisdom in promoting self-imposed piety, humility, and severe treatment of the body,
but they are of no value in checking self-indulgence.
So if you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is,
seated at the right hand of God.

maker of all good things and Father of all;
you have shown us in Christ the purpose of your creation
and call us to be responsible in the world.

We pray for the world
all the nations....
our own country....
those in authority....
the peace of the world....
racial harmony....
those who maintain order....

We pray for the Church, especially

Almighty God, we give you thanks
for the order of created things
the resources of the earth
and the gift of human life....

for the continuing work of creation,
man's share in it,
and for creative vision and inventive skill....

for your faithfulness to man in patience and in love,
and for every human response of obedience
and humble achievement....

May we delight in your purpose
and work to bring all things to their true end;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

The works of your hands are justice and truth,
gracious God, full of compassion.
May we who long for your kingdom to come
rejoice to do your will
and acknowledge your power alone to save;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

God our deliverer,
who sent your Son Jesus Christ
to set your people free from the slavery of sin:
grant that, as your servant William Wilberforce
toiled against the sin of slavery,
so we may bring compassion to all
and work for the freedom of all the children of God;

Quench our thirst with your gift of belief,
that we may no longer work for food that perishes,
but believe in the One whom you have sent. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

William Wilberforce was born in 1759 and served in Parliament from 1780 to
1825. A turning point in his religious life was a tour of Europe. In the luggage
of a travelling companion he saw a copy of William Law's book, A Serious Call
to a Devout and Holy Life. He asked his friend, "What is this?" and received
the answer, "One of the best books ever written." The two of them agreed to
read it together on the journey, and Wilberforce embarked on a lifelong
program of setting aside Sundays and an interval each morning on arising for
prayer and religious reading. He considered his options, including the clergy,
and was persuaded by Christian friends that his calling was to serve God
through politics. He was a major supporter of programs for popular education,
overseas missions, parliamentary reform, and religious liberty. He is best
known, however, for his untiring commitment to the abolition of slavery and
the slave trade. He introduced his first anti-slavery motion in the House of
Commons in 1788, in a three-and-a-half hour oration that concluded: "Sir,
when we think of eternity and the future consequence of all human conduct,
what is there in this life that shall make any man contradict the dictates of his
conscience, the principles of justice and the law of God!"
The motion was defeated. Wilberforce brought it up again every year for
eighteen years, until the slave trade was finally abolished on 25 March 1806.
He continued the campaign against slavery itself, and the bill for the abolition
of all slavery in British territories passed its crucial vote just four days before
his death on 29 July 1833. A year later, on 31 July 1834, 800,000 slaves,
chiefly in the British West Indies, were set free. [James Kiefer]