OREMUS: 29 July 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Jul 28 17:00:01 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Sunday, July 29, 2007
The Ninth Sunday after Pentecost

the giver of every gift that endures.
By the word of your Son,
you challenge our foolishness,
confront our greed,
and shape our lives
to the wisdom of the Gospel.

Sing to the Lord a new song,*
 for he has done marvellous things.
With his right hand and his holy arm*
 has he won for himself the victory.
The Lord has made known his victory;*
 his righteousness has he openly shown
   in the sight of the nations.
He remembers his mercy and faithfulness
   to the house of Israel,*
 and all the ends of the earth have seen
   the victory of our God.
Shout with joy to the Lord, all you lands;*
 lift up your voice, rejoice and sing.
Sing to the Lord with the harp,*
 with the harp and the voice of song.
With trumpets and the sound of the horn*
 shout with joy before the King, the Lord.
Let the sea make a noise and all that is in it,*
 the lands and those who dwell therein.
Let the rivers clap their hands,*
 and let the hills ring out with joy before the Lord,
   when he comes to judge the earth.
In righteousness shall he judge the world,*
 and the peoples with equity.

 before the gods I will sing your praise.
I will bow down towards your holy temple
   and praise your name,*
 because of your love and faithfulness;
For you have glorified your name*
 and your word above all things.
When I called, you answered me;*
 you increased my strength within me.
All the kings of the earth will praise you, O Lord,*
 when they have heard the words of your mouth.
They will sing of the ways of the Lord,*
 that great is the glory of the Lord.
Though the Lord be high, he cares for the lowly;*
 he perceives the haughty from afar.
Though I walk in the midst of trouble,
   you keep me safe;*
 you stretch forth your hand
   against the fury of my enemies;
   your right hand shall save me.
The Lord will make good his purpose for me;*
 O Lord, your love endures for ever;
   do not abandon the works of your hands.

Benedicite: A Song of Creation

Bless the Lord all you works of the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord you heavens:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord you angels of the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord all people on earth:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

O people of God bless the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord you priests of the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord you servants of the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord all you of upright spirit:
 bless the Lord you that are holy and humble in heart;

Bless the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING []:

When Jacob learned that there was grain in Egypt, he said
to his sons, 'Why do you keep looking at one another? I
have heard', he said, 'that there is grain in Egypt; go
down and buy grain for us there, that we may live and not
die.' So ten of Joseph's brothers went down to buy grain
in Egypt. But Jacob did not send Joseph's brother
Benjamin with his brothers, for he feared that harm might
come to him. Thus the sons of Israel were among the other
people who came to buy grain, for the famine had reached
the land of Canaan.
 Now Joseph was governor over the land; it was he who
sold to all the people of the land. And Joseph's brothers
came and bowed themselves before him with their faces to
the ground. When Joseph saw his brothers, he recognized
them, but he treated them like strangers and spoke
harshly to them. 'Where do you come from?' he said. They
said, 'From the land of Canaan, to buy food.' Although
Joseph had recognized his brothers, they did not
recognize him. Joseph also remembered the dreams that he
had dreamed about them. He said to them, 'You are spies;
you have come to see the nakedness of the land!' They
said to him, 'No, my lord; your servants have come to buy
food. We are all sons of one man; we are honest men; your
servants have never been spies.' But he said to them,
'No, you have come to see the nakedness of the land!'
They said, 'We, your servants, are twelve brothers, the
sons of a certain man in the land of Canaan; the
youngest, however, is now with our father, and one is no
more.' But Joseph said to them, 'It is just as I have
said to you; you are spies! Here is how you shall be
tested: as Pharaoh lives, you shall not leave this place
unless your youngest brother comes here! Let one of you
go and bring your brother, while the rest of you remain
in prison, in order that your words may be tested,
whether there is truth in you; or else, as Pharaoh lives,
surely you are spies.' And he put them all together in
prison for three days.
 On the third day Joseph said to them, 'Do this and you
will live, for I fear God: if you are honest men, let one
of your brothers stay here where you are imprisoned. The
rest of you shall go and carry grain for the famine of
your households, and bring your youngest brother to me.
Thus your words will be verified, and you shall not die.'
And they agreed to do so. They said to one another,
'Alas, we are paying the penalty for what we did to our
brother; we saw his anguish when he pleaded with us, but
we would not listen. That is why this anguish has come
upon us.' Then Reuben answered them, 'Did I not tell you
not to wrong the boy? But you would not listen. So now
there comes a reckoning for his blood.' They did not know
that Joseph understood them, since he spoke with them
through an interpreter. He turned away from them and
wept; then he returned and spoke to them. And he picked
out Simeon and had him bound before their eyes. Joseph
then gave orders to fill their bags with grain, to return
every man's money to his sack, and to give them
provisions for their journey. This was done for them.

HYMN
Words: Charles Silvester Horne, 1909
Tune: Cormac
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/f/f215.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/f/f
215.html

For the might of thine arm we bless thee, our God, our fathers' God;
thou hast kept thy pilgrim people by the strength of thy staff and rod;
thou hast called us to the journey which faithless feet ne'er trod;
for the might of thine arm we bless thee, our God, our fathers' God.

For the love of Christ constraining, that bound their hearts as one;
for the faith in truth and freedom in which their work was done;
for the peace of God's evangel wherewith their feet were shod;
for the might of thine arm we bless thee, our God, our fathers' God.

We are watchers of a beacon whose light must never die;
we are guardians of an altar that shows thee ever nigh;
we are children of thy freemen who sleep beneath the sod;
for the might of thine arm we bless thee, our God, our fathers' God.

May the shadow of thy presence around our camp be spread;
baptize us with the courage thou gavest to our dead;
0 keep us in the pathway their saintly feet have trod;
for the might of thine arm we bless thee, our God, our fathers' God.

SECOND READING [1 Corinthians 10:1-24]:

I do not want you to be unaware, brothers and sisters, that our ancestors were all
under the cloud, and all passed through the sea, and all were baptized into Moses in
the cloud and in the sea, and all ate the same spiritual food, and all drank the same
spiritual drink. For they drank from the spiritual rock that followed them, and the rock
was Christ. Nevertheless, God was not pleased with most of them, and they were
struck down in the wilderness.
 Now these things occurred as examples for us, so that we might not desire evil as they
did. Do not become idolaters as some of them did; as it is written, 'The people sat
down to eat and drink, and they rose up to play.' We must not indulge in sexual
immorality as some of them did, and twenty-three thousand fell in a single day. We
must not put Christ to the test, as some of them did, and were destroyed by serpents.
And do not complain as some of them did, and were destroyed by the destroyer. These
things happened to them to serve as an example, and they were written down to
instruct us, on whom the ends of the ages have come. So if you think you are standing,
watch out that you do not fall. No testing has overtaken you that is not common to
everyone. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tested beyond your strength, but
with the testing he will also provide the way out so that you may be able to endure
it.
 Therefore, my dear friends, flee from the worship of idols. I speak as to sensible
people; judge for yourselves what I say. The cup of blessing that we bless, is it not a
sharing in the blood of Christ? The bread that we break, is it not a sharing in the body
of Christ? Because there is one bread, we who are many are one body, for we all
partake of the one bread. Consider the people of Israel; are not those who eat the
sacrifices partners in the altar? What do I imply then? That food sacrificed to idols is
anything, or that an idol is anything? No, I imply that what pagans sacrifice, they
sacrifice to demons and not to God. I do not want you to be partners with demons.
You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons. You cannot partake of
the table of the Lord and the table of demons. Or are we provoking the Lord to
jealousy? Are we stronger than he?
 'All things are lawful', but not all things are beneficial. 'All things are lawful', but not
all things build up. Do not seek your own advantage, but that of others.

O Sun of righteousness,
you came forth from the dark night of death.
May you rise also in our hearts,
and enable us to contemplate the glories
of this sacred mystery,
that we may praise and glorify you for ever.
Lord of life, hear our prayer.

O Prince of Life,
you take away the old leaven of malice and evil
that we may always walk with you and serve you:
Abide continually with us,
that in everything we do we may not forget the joy of your resurrection.
Lord of life, hear our prayer.

O Paschal Lamb, offered for all,
you have taken away the sin of the world
and by rising again you have restored to us everlasting life.
Send laborers into the harvest
to proclaim the life you offer to those who believe.
We pray especially for
Lord of life, hear our prayer.

O Conqueror of death and captain of our salvation,
you overcame the darkness of death
and opened the kingdom of heaven for all believers.
We thank you for those saints whom you have already led
through death to life in the glory of heaven.
Lord of life, hear our prayer.

Almighty God,
whose Son Jesus fed the hungry
with the bread of his life and the word of his kingdom:
Renew your people with your heavenly grace,
and in all our weakness sustain us
with your true and living bread,
Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns
with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Quench our thirst with your gift of belief,
that we may no longer work for food that perishes,
but believe in the One whom you have sent. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.