OREMUS: 28 July 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Jul 27 21:27:00 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Saturday, July 28, 2007
Brooke Foss Westcott, Bishop of Durham, Teacher of the Faith, 1901

Blessed are you, provident Father;
with the prayer your Son taught us always on our lips,
we ask, we seek, we knock at your door.
Blessed be God for ever.>

O Lord, my God, my Saviour,*
 by day and night I cry to you.
Let my prayer enter into your presence;*
 incline your ear to my lamentation.
For I am full of trouble;*
 my life is at the brink of the grave.
I am counted among those who go down to the Pit;*
 I have become like one who has no strength;
Lost among the dead,*
 like the slain who lie in the grave,
Whom you remember no more,*
 for they are cut off from your hand.
You have laid me in the depths of the Pit,*
 in dark places and in the abyss.
Your anger weighs upon me heavily,*
 and all your great waves overwhelm me.
You have put my friends far from me;
   you have made me to be abhorred by them;*
 I am in prison and cannot get free.
My sight has failed me because of trouble;*
 Lord, I have called upon you daily;
   I have stretched out my hands to you.
Do you work wonders for the dead?*
 will those who have died
   stand up and give you thanks?
Will your loving-kindness be declared in the grave?*
 your faithfulness in the land of destruction?
Will your wonders be known in the dark?*
 or your righteousness in the country
   where all is forgotten?
But as for me, O Lord, I cry to you for help;*
 in the morning my prayer comes before you.
Lord, why have you rejected me?*
 why have you hidden your face from me?
Ever since my youth,
   I have been wretched and at the point of death;*
 I have borne your terrors with a troubled mind.
Your blazing anger has swept over me;*
 your terrors have destroyed me;
They surround me all day long like a flood;*
 they encompass me on every side.
My friend and my neighbour you have put away from me,*
 and darkness is my only companion.

A Song of the Righteous (Wisdom 3:1,2a,3b-8)

The souls of the righteous are in the hand of God
 and no torment will ever touch them.

In the eyes of the foolish, they seem to have died;
 but they are at peace.

For though, in the sight of others, they were punished,
 their hope is of immortality.

Having been disciplined a little,
 they will receive great good,
 because God tested them and found them worthy.

Like gold in the furnace, God tried them
 and, like a sacrificial burnt offering, accepted them.

In the time of their visitation, they will shine forth
 and will run like sparks through the stubble.

They will govern nations and rule over peoples
 and God will reign over them for ever.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Hosea 1:11-2:15]:

The people of Judah and the people of Israel shall be gathered
together, and they shall appoint for themselves one head; and they
shall take possession of the land, for great shall be the day of
Jezreel.

Say to your brother, Ammi, and to your sister, Ruhamah.

Plead with your mother, plead
   for she is not my wife,
   and I am not her husband
that she put away her whoring from her face,
   and her adultery from between her breasts,
or I will strip her naked
   and expose her as in the day she was born,
and make her like a wilderness,
   and turn her into a parched land,
   and kill her with thirst.
Upon her children also I will have no pity,
   because they are children of whoredom.
For their mother has played the whore;
   she who conceived them has acted shamefully.
For she said, 'I will go after my lovers;
   they give me my bread and my water,
   my wool and my flax, my oil and my drink.'
Therefore I will hedge her way with thorns;
   and I will build a wall against her,
   so that she cannot find her paths.
She shall pursue her lovers,
   but not overtake them;
and she shall seek them,
   but shall not find them.
Then she shall say, 'I will go
   and return to my first husband,
   for it was better with me then than now.'
She did not know
   that it was I who gave her
   the grain, the wine, and the oil,
and who lavished upon her silver
   and gold that they used for Baal.
Therefore I will take back
   my grain in its time,
   and my wine in its season;
and I will take away my wool and my flax,
   which were to cover her nakedness.
Now I will uncover her shame
   in the sight of her lovers,
   and no one shall rescue her out of my hand.
I will put an end to all her mirth,
   her festivals, her new moons, her sabbaths,
   and all her appointed festivals.
I will lay waste her vines and her fig trees,
   of which she said,
'These are my pay,
   which my lovers have given me.'
I will make them a forest,
   and the wild animals shall devour them.
I will punish her for the festival days of the Baals,
   when she offered incense to them
and decked herself with her ring and jewellery,
   and went after her lovers,
   and forgot me, says the Lord.

Therefore, I will now persuade her,
   and bring her into the wilderness,
   and speak tenderly to her.
>From there I will give her her vineyards,
   and make the Valley of Achor a door of hope.
There she shall respond as in the days of her youth,
   as at the time when she came out of the land of Egypt.

HYMN
Words: Arthur Campbell Aigner (1841-1919), 1894
Tune: Benson, Purpose
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/g/g179a.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/
g/g179a.html

God is working his purpose out
as year succeeds to year:
God is working his purpose out,
and the time is drawing near;
nearer and nearer draws the time,
the time that shall surely be,
when the earth shall be filled
with the glory of God
as the waters cover the sea.

>From utmost east to utmost west,
wherever foot hath trod,
by the mouth of many messengers
goes forth the voice of God;
give ear to me, ye continents,
ye isles, give ear to me,
that earth may filled
with the glory of God
as the waters cover the sea.

What can we do to work God's work,
to prosper and increase
the brotherhood of all mankind--
the reign of the Prince of Peace?
What can we do to hasten the time--
the time that shall surely be,
when the earth shall be filled
with the glory of God
as the waters cover the sea.

March we forth in the strength of God,
with the banner of Christ unfurled,
that the light of the glorious gospel of truth
may shine throughout the world:
fight we the fight with sorrow and sin
to set their captives free,
that earth may filled
with the glory of God
as the waters cover the sea.

All we can do is nothing worth
unless God blessed the deed;
vainly we hope for the harvest-tide
till God gives life to the seed;
yet nearer and nearer draws the time,
the time that shall surely be,
when the earth shall be filled
with the glory of God
as the waters cover the sea.

SECOND READING [Luke 8:22-25]:

One day he got into a boat with his disciples, and he said to them, 'Let us go across to
the other side of the lake.' So they put out, and while they were sailing he fell asleep.
A gale swept down on the lake, and the boat was filling with water, and they were in
danger. They went to him and woke him up, shouting, 'Master, Master, we are
perishing!' And he woke up and rebuked the wind and the raging waves; they ceased,
and there was a calm. He said to them, 'Where is your faith?' They were afraid and
amazed, and said to one another, 'Who then is this, that he commands even the winds
and the water, and they obey him?'

Great and wonderful God, we praise and thank you for the
gift of renewal in Jesus Christ. Especially we thank you
for
     opportunities for rest and recreation...
                         (We thank you, Lord.)
     the regenerating gifts of the Holy Spirit...
     activities shared by young and old...
     fun and laughter...
     every service that proclaims your love...

You make all things new, O God, and we offer our prayers
for the renewal of the whole world and the healing of its
wounds. Especially we pray for
     those who have no leisure...
                         (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     people enslaved by addictions...
     those who entertain and enlighten...
     those confronted with temptation...
     the church in North America...

God of saving power,
remember us in times of sorrow and despair.
Redeem us with your strength
and guide us through the wilderness.
We ask this in the Name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

Sovereign God,
we have come to your kingdom,
surrounded by the multitude of angels and saints
who work for us and work for you, our Lord.
We remember especially your servant Brooke Foss Westcott,
who taught us to overcome the barriers which hinder us
and the differences which we dare not conceal,
that we may enter into that deeper-lying bond
of righteousness, peace and joy
which unites us all in your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit

Out of your never-failing abundance,
satisfy the hungers of body and soul
and lead all peoples of the earth
to the feast of the world to come. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The second collect is by Stephen T. Benner.

Born in 1825, Westcott was first ordained and then became a master at
Harrow School. Whilst there, he published a series of scholarly works on the
Bible, his expertise eventually leading to his election as Regius Professor of
Divinity at the University of Cambridge in 1870. With Fenton Hort and J B
Lightfoot, he led a revival in British biblical studies and theology. He became
influential too in the field of Anglican social thought and was significant in the
founding of the Clergy Training School in Cambridge (later renamed Westcott
House in his memory). In 1890, he was consecrated Bishop of Durham, where
he died on this day in 1901. [Exciting Holiness]