OREMUS: 24 July 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Jul 23 18:17:03 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Tuesday, July 24, 2007
Thomas a Kempis, Priest, 1471

Blessed are you, provident Father;
with the prayer your Son taught us always on our lips,
we ask, we seek, we knock at your door.
Blessed be God for ever.>

Bow down your ear, O Lord, and answer me,*
 for I am poor and in misery.
Keep watch over my life, for I am faithful;*
 save your servant who trusts in you.
Be merciful to me, O Lord, for you are my God;*
 I call upon you all the day long.
Gladden the soul of your servant,*
 for to you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving,*
 and great is your love towards all who call upon you.
Give ear, O Lord, to my prayer,*
 and attend to the voice of my supplications.
In the time of my trouble I will call upon you,*
 for you will answer me.
Among the gods there is none like you, O Lord,*
 nor anything like your works.
All nations you have made
   will come and worship you, O Lord,*
 and glorify your name.
For you are great; you do wondrous things;*
 and you alone are God.
Teach me your way, O Lord,
   and I will walk in your truth;*
 knit my heart to you that I may fear your name.
I will thank you, O Lord my God, with all my heart,*
 and glorify your name for evermore.
For great is your love towards me;*
 you have delivered me from the nethermost Pit.
The arrogant rise up against me, O God,
   and a violent band seeks my life;*
 they have not set you before their eyes.
But you, O Lord, are gracious and full of compassion,*
 slow to anger and full of kindness and truth.
Turn to me and have mercy upon me;*
 give your strength to your servant;
   and save the child of your handmaid.
Show me a sign of your favour,
   so that those who hate me may see it and be ashamed;*
 because you, O Lord, have helped me and comforted me.

A Song of the Wilderness (Isaiah 35.1,2b-4a,4c-6,10)

The wilderness and the dry land shall rejoice,
the desert shall blossom and burst into song.

They shall see the glory of the Lord,
the majesty of our God.

Strengthen the weary hands,
and make firm the feeble knees.

Say to the anxious, 'Be strong, fear not,
your God is coming with judgement,
coming with judgement to save you.'

Then shall the eyes of the blind be opened,
and the ears of the deaf unstopped;

Then shall the lame leap like a hart,
and the tongue of the dumb sing for joy.

For waters shall break forth in the wilderness,
and streams in the desert;

The ransomed of the Lord shall return with singing,
with everlasting joy upon their heads.

Joy and gladness shall be theirs,
and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.

FIRST READING [Amos 8:13-9:4]:

In that day the beautiful young women and the young men
   shall faint for thirst.
Those who swear by Ashimah of Samaria,
   and say, 'As your god lives, O Dan',
and, 'As the way of Beer-sheba lives'
   they shall fall, and never rise again.

I saw the Lord standing beside the altar, and he said:
Strike the capitals until the thresholds shake,
   and shatter them on the heads of all the people;
and those who are left I will kill with the sword;
   not one of them shall flee away,
   not one of them shall escape.

Though they dig into Sheol,
   from there shall my hand take them;
though they climb up to heaven,
   from there I will bring them down.
Though they hide themselves on the top of Carmel,
   from there I will search out and take them;
and though they hide from my sight at the bottom of the sea,
   there I will command the sea-serpent, and it shall bite them.
And though they go into captivity in front of their enemies,
   there I will command the sword, and it shall kill them;
and I will fix my eyes on them
   for harm and not for good.

HYMN
Words:  attributed to Thomas   Kempis (1379-1471);
trans. John Mason Neale
Tune: Lewes
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/i/i199.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/i/i
199.html

If there be that skills to reckon
all the number of the blest,
he perchance can weigh the gladness
of the everlasting rest,
which, their earthly exile finished,
they by merit have possessed.

Through the vale of lamentation
happily and safely past,
now the years of their affliction
in their memory they recast,
and the end of all perfection
they can contemplate at last.

There the gifts of each and single
all in common right possess;
there each member hath his portion
in the Body's blessedness;
so that he, the least in merits,
share the guerdon none the less.

In a glass through types and riddles
dwelling here, we see alone;
then serenely, purely, clearly,
we shall know as we are known,
fixing our enlightened vision
on the glory of the throne.

There the Trinity of persons
unbeclouded shall we see;
there the Unity of essence
perfectly revealed shall be;
while we hail the threefold Godhead
and the simple Unity.

Wherefore man, take heart and courage,
whatso'er thy present pain;
such untold reward through suffering
thou may'st merit to attain:
and for ever in his glory
with the Light of light to reign.

SECOND READING [1 John 2:1-6]:

My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if
anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous; and
he is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the
whole world.
Now by this we may be sure that we know him, if we obey his commandments.
Whoever says, 'I have come to know him', but does not obey his commandments, is a
liar, and in such a person the truth does not exist; but whoever obeys his word, truly in
this person the love of God has reached perfection. By this we may be sure that we are
in him: whoever says, 'I abide in him', ought to walk just as he walked.

Eternal God, we rejoice today in the gift of life, which
we have received by your grace, and the new life you give
in Jesus Christ. Especially we thank you for
     the love of our families...
                         (We thank you, Lord.)
     the affection of our friends...
     strength and abilities to serve your purpose today...
     this community in which we live...
     opportunities to give as we have received...

God of grace, we offer our prayers for the needs of
others and commit ourselves to serve them as we have been
served in Jesus Christ. Especially we pray for
     those closest to us, families, friends, neighbors...
                         (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     refugees and homeless men, women and children...
     the outcast and persecuted...
     those from whom we are estranged...
     the church in Africa...

God of mercy,
fill us with the love of your Name,
and help us to proclaim you before the world,
that all peoples may celebrate your glory
in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Holy God,
you have nourished and strengthened your Church
by the inspired writings
of your servant Thomas   Kempis:
Grant that we may learn from him
to know what is necessary to be known,
to love what is to be loved,
to praise what highly pleases you,
and always to seek to know and follow your will;

Out of your never-failing abundance,
satisfy the hungers of body and soul
and lead all peoples of the earth
to the feast of the world to come. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.