OREMUS: 23 July 2007

Steve Benner oremus at insight.rr.com
Mon Jul 23 11:14:26 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Monday, July 23, 2007

Blessed are you, provident Father;
with the prayer your Son taught us always on our lips,
we ask, we seek, we knock at your door.
Blessed be God for ever.>

Hear, O Shepherd of Israel, leading Joseph like a flock;*
  shine forth, you that are enthroned upon the cherubim.
In the presence of Ephraim, Benjamin and Manasseh,*
  stir up your strength and come to help us.
Restore us, O God of hosts;*
  show the light of your countenance
    and we shall be saved.
O Lord God of hosts,*
  how long will you be angered
    despite the prayers of your people?
You have fed them with the bread of tears;*
  you have given them bowls of tears to drink.
You have made us the derision of our neighbours,*
  and our enemies laugh us to scorn.
Restore us, O God of hosts;*
  show the light of your countenance
    and we shall be saved.
You have brought a vine out of Egypt;*
  you cast out the nations and planted it.
You prepared the ground for it;*
  it took root and filled the land.
The mountains were covered by its shadow*
  and the towering cedar trees by its boughs.
You stretched out its tendrils to the Sea*
  and its branches to the River.
Why have you broken down its wall,*
  so that all who pass by pluck off its grapes?
The wild boar of the forest has ravaged it,*
  and the beasts of the field have grazed upon it.
Turn now, O God of hosts, look down from heaven;
    behold and tend this vine;*
  preserve what your right hand has planted.
They burn it with fire like rubbish;*
  at the rebuke of your countenance let them perish.
Let your hand be upon the man of your right hand,*
  the son of man you have made so strong for yourself.
And so will we never turn away from you;*
  give us life, that we may call upon your name.
Restore us, O Lord God of hosts;*
  show the light of your countenance
    and we shall be saved.

A Song of God's Children (Romans 8:2,14,15b-19)

The law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus
has set us free from the law of sin and death.

All who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God;
for we have received the Spirit that enables us to cry, 'Abba, Father'.

The Spirit himself bears witness that we are children of God
and if God's children, then heirs of God;

If heirs of God, then fellow-heirs with Christ;
since we suffer with him now, that we may be glorified with him.

These sufferings that we now endure
are not worth comparing to the glory that shall be revealed.

For the creation waits with eager longing
for the revealing of the children of God.

Praise him with the blast of the ram’s-horn;*
  praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Amos 7:1-6]:

This is what the Lord God showed me: he was forming locusts at the time the
latter growth began to sprout (it was the latter growth after the king's
mowings). When they had finished eating the grass of the land, I said,
'O Lord God, forgive, I beg you!
How can Jacob stand?
He is so small!'
The Lord relented concerning this;
'It shall not be,' said the Lord.

This is what the Lord God showed me: the Lord God was calling for a shower
of fire, and it devoured the great deep and was eating up the land. Then I
said,
'O Lord God, cease, I beg you!
How can Jacob stand?
He is so small!'
The Lord relented concerning this;
'This also shall not be,' said the Lord God.

HYMN
Words: Robert Bridges (1844-1930);
based on the German on Joachim Neander (1650-1680)
Tune: Michael

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a133.html

All my hope on God is founded;
he doth still my trust renew,
me through change and chance he guideth,
only good and only true.
God unknown,
he alone
calls my heart to be his own.

Pride of man and earthly glory,
sword and crown betray his trust;
what with care and toil he buildeth,
tower and temple fall to dust.
But God's power,
hour by hour,
is my temple and my tower.

God's great goodness aye endureth,
deep his wisdom, passing thought:
splendor, light and life attend him,
beauty springeth out of naught.
Evermore
from his store
newborn worlds rise and adore.

Daily doth the almighty Giver
bounteous gifts on us bestow;
his desire our soul delighteth,
pleasure leads us where we go.
Love doth stand
at his hand;
joy doth wait on his command.

Still from man to God eternal
sacrifice of praise be done,
high above all praises praising
for the gift of Christ, his Son.
Christ doth call
one and all:
ye who follow shall not fall.

SECOND READING [Colossians 1:27-2:7]:

To them God chose to make known how great among the Gentiles are the riches
of the glory of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory. It
is he whom we proclaim, warning everyone and teaching everyone in all
wisdom, so that we may present everyone mature in Christ. For this I toil
and struggle with all the energy that he powerfully inspires within me.

For I want you to know how much I am struggling for you, and for those in
Laodicea, and for all who have not seen me face to face. I want their
hearts to be encouraged and united in love, so that they may have all the
riches of assured understanding and have the knowledge of God's mystery,
that is, Christ himself, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and
knowledge. I am saying this so that no one may deceive you with plausible
arguments. For though I am absent in body, yet I am with you in spirit, and
I rejoice to see your morale and the firmness of your faith in Christ.

As you therefore have received Christ Jesus the Lord, continue to live your
lives in him, rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just
as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving.

The Benedictus (Morning), the Magnificat (Evening), or Nunc dimittis
(Night) may follow.

Prayer:
We praise you, God our creator, for your handiwork in shaping and
sustaining your wondrous creation. Especially we thank you for

     the miracle of life and the wonder of living...
     (We thank you, Lord.)
     particular blessings coming to us in this day...
     the resources of the earth...
     gifts of creative vision and skillful craft...
     the treasure stored in every human life...

We dare to pray for others, God our Savior, claiming your love in Jesus
Christ for the whole world, committing ourselves to care for those around
us in his name. Especially we pray for

     those who work for the benefit of others...
     (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     those who cannot work today...
     those who teach and those who learn...
     people who are poor...
     the Church in Europe...

Glory to you, Lord Jesus Christ, our Good Shepherd:
you have led us to the kingdom of your Father's love.
Forgive our careless indifference
to your loving care for all your creatures,
and remake us in the likeness of your new and risen life.
We ask this in your Name. Amen.

Out of your never-failing abundance,
satisfy the hungers of body and soul
and lead all peoples of the earth
to the feast of the world to come. Amen.

The psalms and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from Celebrating
Common Prayer (Mowbray), © The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is used
with permission.

The canticle is from Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition,
copyright © The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Edition), copyright © 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian Education of
the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by
permission. All rights reserved.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing prayer use sentences
from prayers in Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary Language.
Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.