OREMUS: 15 July 2007

Steve Benner oremus at insight.rr.com
Sun Jul 15 11:06:16 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Sunday, July 15, 2007
The Seventh Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, merciful God;
so abundant is your compassion
that you healed the wounds of our sins
and lifted out of death into new life
through your Son Jesus Christ our Lord.

You have been gracious to your land, O Lord,*
  you have restored the good fortune of Jacob.
You have forgiven the iniquity of your people*
  and blotted out all their sins.
You have withdrawn all your fury*
  and turned yourself from your wrathful indignation.
Restore us then, O God our Saviour;*
  let your anger depart from us.
Will you be displeased with us for ever?*
  will you prolong your anger from age to age?
Will you not give us life again,*
  that your people may rejoice in you?
Show us your mercy, O Lord,*
  and grant us your salvation.
I will listen to what the Lord God is saying,*
  for he is speaking peace to his faithful people
    and to those who turn their hearts to him.
Truly, his salvation is very near to those who fear him,*
  that his glory may dwell in our land.
Mercy and truth have met together;*
  righteousness and peace have kissed each other.
Truth shall spring up from the earth,*
  and righteousness shall look down from heaven.
The Lord will indeed grant prosperity,*
  and our land will yield its increase.
Righteousness shall go before him,*
  and peace shall be a pathway for his feet.

Psalm 98
Sing to the Lord a new song,*
  for he has done marvellous things.
With his right hand and his holy arm*
  has he won for himself the victory.
The Lord has made known his victory;*
  his righteousness has he openly shown
    in the sight of the nations.
He remembers his mercy and faithfulness
    to the house of Israel,*
  and all the ends of the earth have seen
    the victory of our God.
Shout with joy to the Lord, all you lands;*
  lift up your voice, rejoice and sing.
Sing to the Lord with the harp,*
  with the harp and the voice of song.
With trumpets and the sound of the horn*
  shout with joy before the King, the Lord.
Let the sea make a noise and all that is in it,*
  the lands and those who dwell therein.
Let the rivers clap their hands,*
  and let the hills ring out with joy before the Lord,
    when he comes to judge the earth.
In righteousness shall he judge the world,*
  and the peoples with equity.

A Song of the Lamb (from Revelation 19)

Salvation and glory and power belong to our God,
  whose judgements are true and just.

Praise our God, all you his servants,
  all who fear him, both small and great.

The Lord our God, the Almighty, reigns:
  let us rejoice and exult and give him the glory.

The marriage of the Lamb has come
  and his bride has made herself ready.

Blessed are those who are invited
  to the wedding banquet of the Lamb.

  for ever and ever. Amen.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Deuteronomy 30:9-14]:

The Lord your God will make you abundantly prosperous in all your
undertakings, in the fruit of your body, in the fruit of your livestock,
and in the fruit of your soil. For the Lord will again take delight in
prospering you, just as he delighted in prospering your ancestors, when you
obey the Lord your God by observing his commandments and decrees that are
written in this book of the law, because you turn to the Lord your God with
all your heart and with all your soul.

Surely, this commandment that I am commanding you today is not too hard for
you, nor is it too far away. It is not in heaven, that you should say, 'Who
will go up to heaven for us, and get it for us so that we may hear it and
observe it?' Neither is it beyond the sea, that you should say, 'Who will
cross to the other side of the sea for us, and get it for us so that we may
hear it and observe it?' No, the word is very near to you; it is in your
mouth and in your heart for you to observe.

HYMN
Words: Carl P. Daw, Jr. (1944-);
Tune: Leoni

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b /b005.html

Be joyful in the Lord;
be joyful, all you lands.
With gladness come before the Lord;
draw near with song.
Know that the Lord is God,
who made us and still stands
to guard the folk, who like a flock,
to God belong.

Approach God's house with thanks
and fill its courts with praise;
with awe invoke God's holy Name:
come and adore.
The Lord our God is good,
whose mercy lasts always
and whose great faithfulness endures
for evermore.

SECOND READING [Colossians 1:15-28]:

Christ Jesus is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all
creation; for in him all things in heaven and on earth were created, things
visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or powers all
things have been created through him and for him. He himself is before all
things, and in him all things hold together. He is the head of the body,
the church; he is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that he
might come to have first place in everything. For in him all the fullness
of God was pleased to dwell, and through him God was pleased to reconcile
to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, by making peace
through the blood of his cross.

And you who were once estranged and hostile in mind, doing evil deeds, he
has now reconciled in his fleshly body through death, so as to present you
holy and blameless and irreproachable before him provided that you continue
securely established and steadfast in the faith, without shifting from the
hope promised by the gospel that you heard, which has been proclaimed to
every creature under heaven. I, Paul, became a servant of this gospel.

I am now rejoicing in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I am
completing what is lacking in Christ's afflictions for the sake of his
body, that is, the church. I became its servant according to God's
commission that was given to me for you, to make the word of God fully
known, the mystery that has been hidden throughout the ages and generations
but has now been revealed to his saints. To them God chose to make known
how great among the Gentiles are the riches of the glory of this mystery,
which is Christ in you, the hope of glory. It is he whom we proclaim,
warning everyone and teaching everyone in all wisdom, so that we may
present everyone mature in Christ.

The Benedictus (Morning), the Magnificat (Evening), or Nunc dimittis
(Night) may follow.

Prayer:
Let us pray for the whole people of God
and for all people according to their needs,
saying: "Hear our prayer."

For the whole church, that, true to its calling,
it may witness to the radical and boundless love of God
and proclaim God's love in word and deed.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For all the people of our church, for our bishops,
for all pastors and teachers, that strengthened by Word and Sacrament,
our witness in this land may be full of faith and love.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For all the baptized, that we may embrace our lives
and the lives of others with courage and compassion,
unafraid of joy and pain, sickness and health.
May our care be a sign of God's care.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For those who govern the nations of the world,
that they may use their authority in wisdom, kindness and peacefulness.
Awaken in all who govern a thirst for justice
that embodies your care for the human community.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For all those who suffer poverty, injustice or oppression,
that you would rescue them when they cry out.
Open the ears of our hearts to hear,
and quicken in us the fire to respond in love.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For all who suffer illness, distress or grief,
especially those we name silently or aloud ... ,
that you would grant them comfort, healing and release.
Awaken in us boundless compassion
and use us as agents of lovingkindness.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For the saints of every time and generation,
that you would keep us all in the bonds of love
and bring us to the fullness of your reign.
O God, of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

O God of Love, hear the prayers of your people.
Enliven us by your Spirit to live into the fullness of your reign.
We pray through Jesus, our life and our hope. Amen.

Almighty God,
your Son has opened for us
a new and living way into your presence:
Give us pure hearts and constant wills
to worship you in spirit and in truth;
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Amid the cares of our daily lives,
make us attentive to your voice
and alert to your presence,
that we may treasure your Word above all else. Amen.

The psalms and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from Celebrating
Common Prayer (Mowbray), © The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is used
with permission.

The canticle is from Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition,
copyright © The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Edition), copyright © 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian Education of
the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by
permission. All rights reserved.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted by Stephen Benner from We
Give You Thanks and Praise: The Ambrosian Eucharistic Prefaces, translated
by Alan Griffiths, © The Canterbury Press Norwich, 1999.

Hymn © Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL 60188.
All rights reserved. Used by permission.
Hope Publishing Company, www.hopepublishing.com

The intercession is Copyright: 1995, 1999 Evangelical Lutheran Church in
Canada. (Lift Up Your Hearts, http://www.worship.ca/)

The collect is from Book of Common Worship, © 1993 Westminster / John Knox
Press.

The closing prayer uses a sentence from a prayer in Opening Prayers:
Collects in Contemporary Language. Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

Steve Benner
(The Rev. Dr. Stephen T. Benner)
Deacon, St. John's Episcopal Church, Worthington, Ohio
Oremus -- http://www.oremus.org