OREMUS: 14 July 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Jul 13 17:00:01 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Saturday, July 14, 2007
The Assize Sermon, John Keble, 1833

Blessed are you, merciful God;
in your boundless compassion,
you gave us your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
so that the human race created in your love,
yet fallen through its own pride,
might be restored to your glory
through his suffering and death upon the cross.

I will cry aloud to God;*
 I will cry aloud and he will hear me.
In the day of my trouble I sought the Lord;*
 my hands were stretched out by night and did not tire;
   I refused to be comforted.
I think of God, I am restless,*
 I ponder and my spirit faints.
You will not let my eyelids close;*
 I am troubled and I cannot speak.
I consider the days of old;*
 I remember the years long past;
I commune with my heart in the night;*
 I ponder and search my mind.
Will the Lord cast me off for ever?*
 will he no more show his favour?
Has his loving-kindness come to an end for ever?*
 has his promise failed for evermore?
Has God forgotten to be gracious?*
 has he, in his anger, withheld his compassion?
And I said, 'My grief is this:*
 the right hand of the Most High has lost its power.'
I will remember the works of the Lord,*
 and call to mind your wonders of old time.
I will meditate on all your acts*
 and ponder your mighty deeds.
Your way, O God, is holy;*
 who is so great a god as our God?
You are the God who works wonders*
 and have declared your power among the peoples.
By your strength you have redeemed your people,*
 the children of Jacob and Joseph.
The waters saw you, O God;
   the waters saw you and trembled;*
 the very depths were shaken.
The clouds poured out water; the skies thundered;*
 your arrows flashed to and fro;
The sound of your thunder was in the whirlwind;
   your lightnings lit up the world;*
 the earth trembled and shook.
Your way was in the sea,
   and your paths in the great waters,*
 yet your footsteps were not seen.
You led your people like a flock*
 by the hand of Moses and Aaron.

A Song of Jerusalem our Mother (from Isaiah 66)

'Rejoice with Jerusalem and be glad for her
all you who love her', says the Lord.

'Rejoice with her in joy,
all you who mourn over her,

'That you may drink deeply with delight
from her consoling breast.'

For thus says our God,
'You shall be nursed and carried on her arm.

'As a mother comforts her children,
so I will comfort you;

'You shall see and your heart shall rejoice;
you shall flourish like the grass of the fields.'

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Amos 2:12-3:8]:

But you made the nazirites drink wine,
   and commanded the prophets,
   saying, 'You shall not prophesy.'

So, I will press you down in your place,
   just as a cart presses down
   when it is full of sheaves.
Flight shall perish from the swift,
   and the strong shall not retain their strength,
   nor shall the mighty save their lives;
those who handle the bow shall not stand,
   and those who are swift of foot shall not save
themselves,
   nor shall those who ride horses save their lives;
and those who are stout of heart among the mighty
   shall flee away naked on that day,
says the Lord.

Hear this word that the Lord has spoken against you, O
people of Israel, against the whole family that I brought
up out of the land of Egypt:
You only have I known
   of all the families of the earth;
therefore I will punish you
   for all your iniquities.

Do two walk together
   unless they have made an appointment?
Does a lion roar in the forest,
   when it has no prey?
Does a young lion cry out from its den,
   if it has caught nothing?
Does a bird fall into a snare on the earth,
   when there is no trap for it?
Does a snare spring up from the ground,
   when it has taken nothing?
Is a trumpet blown in a city,
   and the people are not afraid?
Does disaster befall a city,
   unless the Lord has done it?
Surely the Lord God does nothing,
   without revealing his secret
   to his servants the prophets.
The lion has roared;
   who will not fear?
The Lord God has spoken;
   who can but prophesy?

HYMN
Words: Latin, seventh century; trans. John Mason Neale, 1851
Tune: Westminster Abbey
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/c063.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/
c063.html

Christ is made the sure foundation,
Christ the head and cornerstone,
chosen of the Lord, and precious,
binding all the Church in one;
holy Zion's help for ever,
and her confidence alone.

All that dedicated city,
dearly loved of God on high,
in exultant jubilation
pours perpetual melody;
God the One in Three adoring
in glad hymns eternally.

To this temple, where we call thee,
come, O Lord of Hosts, today;
with thy wonted loving-kindness
hear thy servants as they pray,
and thy fullest benediction
shed within its walls alway.

Here vouchsafe to all thy servants
what they ask of thee of gain;
what they gain from thee, for ever
with the bless d to retain,
and hereafter in thy glory
evermore with thee to reign.

Laud and honor to the Father,
laud and honor to the Son,
laud and honor to the Spirit,
ever Three, and ever One,
consubstantial, co-eternal,
while unending ages run.

SECOND READING [John 3:16-21]:

Jesus said, 'For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone
who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life.
'Indeed, God did not send the Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order
that the world might be saved through him. Those who believe in him are not
condemned; but those who do not believe are condemned already, because they have
not believed in the name of the only Son of God. And this is the judgement, that the
light has come into the world, and people loved darkness rather than light because
their deeds were evil. For all who do evil hate the light and do not come to the light,
so that their deeds may not be exposed. But those who do what is true come to the
light, so that it may be clearly seen that their deeds have been done in God.'

O God, Creator of all that is and is to be,
In this time of our need,
Hear us, good Lord.

O God the Son, restorer of all creation
In this time of our need,
Hear us, good Lord.

O God the Spirit, ground of all holiness,
In this time of our need,
Hear us, good Lord.

O Holy, Blessed and Glorious Trinity,
In this time of our need,
Hear us, good Lord.

Uphold and govern the Churches of the Anglican Communion;
direct them into love and truth;
and grant them that unity which is your will.
In this time of our need,
Hear us, good Lord.

Give us such a sense of your love,
and such a vision of your purpose for all creation
that we may receive new understanding of your mercy
and, resisting schism, boldly proclaim the gospel.
In this time of our need,
Hear us, good Lord.

Enlighten your bishops with your special grace;
grant to them wisdom, knowledge and understanding;
empower them with such gifts of reconciliation and love
that, embracing difference and diversity,
our church may joyfully proclaim your word.
In this time of our need,
Hear us, good Lord.

Give us discerning and receptive minds;
where there is anger, grant reconciliation;
where there is prejudice, grant openness;
where there is fearfulness, give serenity;
where there is ambition, give humility.
In this time of our need,
Hear us, good Lord.

Endow us with clarity of thought,
generosity of mind, and charity of speech;
grant us gifts of patience and forbearance;
may we delight in the truth
and be surprised by the Spirit.
In this time of our need,
Hear us, good Lord.

Bring into the way of truth all who have erred
and are deceived.
Hear us, good Lord.

Strengthen those who stand;
comfort and help the faint-hearted;
raise up the fallen;
and finally beat down all the powers of darkness.
Holy God,
Holy and strong,
Holy and immortal,
Have mercy upon us.

Heavenly Father,
you have called us
in the Body of your Son Jesus Christ
to continue his work of reconciliation
and reveal you to humankind.
Forgive us the sins that tear us apart;
give us the courage to overcome our fears
and to seek that unity
which is your gift and your will;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Almighty God, our heavenly Father,
you so established that wonderful mystery, the Church,
that all nations might be brought into your fold,
and your Spirit poured out upon all flesh:
We give thanks for those who call the Church
to its tasks and renew its life,
such as your servant John Keble.
Raise up in our own day teachers and prophets inspired by your Spirit,
whose voices will give strength to your Church
that the coming of your kingdom might be hastened;

Fill our hearts with zeal for your kingdom
and place on our lips the tidings of your peace;

Sunday, July 14th, Mr. Keble preached the Assize Sermon in the University Pulpit. It was
published under the title of 'National Apostasy.' I have ever considered and kept the day,
as the start of the religious movement of 1833." So wrote John Henry Newman as the
closing words of Part III of Apologia Pro Vita Sua.

The religious movement of which he spoke was the Oxford Movement, a stirring toward
reformation by the high church adherents of the Church of England which began with
Keble's sermon on this day, July 14, 1833. (High Church refers to those elements of ritual
and doctrine which hark back to the church's Roman Catholic roots.) The movement's
immediate cause was the attempted suppression by the British government of ten
bishoprics in Ireland, but the reform leaders were also disturbed by a general decay and
loss of moral fiber in the church. At issue also were the words of the creed, "I believe in
one holy catholic and apostolic church," which had been sorely lost by the rapid fission of
Protestantism into sects.

Keble declared that England had for centuries been acknowledged as a Christian nation.
Logically this meant that the nation was bound by the laws of Christ's church. If public
opinion was calling for action in defiance of those laws, the nation was apostate.

Oxford men of the highest caliber gathered around Keble and tried to form a plan of
action. Among these were two notable scholars, John Henry Newman and Richard Hurrell
Froude. In order to bolster its position, the high church movement sought a basis for
authority in the past of the church. They looked to creeds and apostolic succession as
outward manifestations of ancient authority. Some of the intellectuals who joined the
movement also took an interest in reviving the architectural styles and arts which had long
been associated with the faith. Newman and others sought a new level of spiritual life for
the church with Newman's preaching a sermon titled Holiness Necessary for Future
Blessedness.

The Oxford Movement began as an effort to reform the Church of England. It reached a
crisis in 1841 when Newman issued Tract 90 in his continuing series. This claimed that the
39 articles of the Church of England could be interpreted in a Catholic way. In the
resultant furor, he was forbidden as a churchman any longer to publish tracts. He resigned
his positions and, like Henry Manning and William Ward, became Roman Catholic. Keble,
Edward Pusey, and Charles Marriott remained in the Church of England and took
leadership of the movement.

The overall effect of the movement was to restore a higher level of spirituality among the
English clergy. It also forced a reexamination of the doctrinal and authoritative bases of
the church. [chi.gospelcom.net]