OREMUS: 12 July 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Jul 11 20:15:25 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Thursday, July 12, 2007

Blessed are you, merciful God;
in your boundless compassion,
you gave us your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
so that the human race created in your love,
yet fallen through its own pride,
might be restored to your glory
through his suffering and death upon the cross.

Clap your hands, all you peoples;*
 shout to God with a cry of joy.
For the Lord Most High is to be feared;*
 he is the great king over all the earth.
He subdues the peoples under us,*
 and the nations under our feet.
He chooses our inheritance for us,*
 the pride of Jacob whom he loves.
God has gone up with a shout,*
 the Lord with the sound of the ram's-horn.
Sing praises to God, sing praises;*
 sing praises to our king, sing praises.
For God is king of all the earth;*
 sing praises with all your skill.
God reigns over the nations;*
 God sits upon his holy throne.
The nobles of the peoples have gathered together*
 with the people of the God of Abraham.
The rulers of the earth belong to God,*
 and he is highly exalted.

Psalm 48

Great is the Lord and highly to be praised;*
 in the city of our God is his holy hill.
Beautiful and lofty, the joy of all the earth,
   is the hill of Zion,*
 the very centre of the world
   and the city of the great king.
God is in her citadels;*
 he is known to be her sure refuge.
Behold, the kings of the earth assembled*
 and marched forward together.
They looked and were astounded;*
 they retreated and fled in terror.
Trembling seized them there;*
 they writhed like a woman in childbirth,
   like ships of the sea when the east wind shatters them.
As we have heard, so have we seen,
   in the city of the Lord of hosts, in the city of our God;*
 God has established her for ever.
We have waited in silence
   on your loving-kindness, O God,*
 in the midst of your temple.
Your praise, like your name, O God,
   reaches to the world's end;*
 your right hand is full of justice.
Let Mount Zion be glad
   and the cities of Judah rejoice,*
 because of your judgements.
Make the circuit of Zion; walk round about her;*
 count the number of her towers.
Consider well her bulwarks; examine her strongholds;*
 that you may tell those who come after.
This God is our God for ever and ever;*
 he shall be our guide for evermore.

A Song of the Covenant (Isaiah 42:5-8a)

Thus says God, who created the heavens,
who fashioned the earth and all that dwells in it;

Who gives breath to the people upon it,
and spirit to those who walk in it,

'I am the Lord and I have called you in righteousness,
I have taken you by the hand and kept you;

'I have given you as a covenant to the people,
a light to the nations, to open the eyes that are blind.

'To bring out the captives from the dungeon,
from the prison, those who sit in darkness.

'I am the Lord, that is my name;
my glory I give to no other.'

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [Amos 1:1-2:3]:

The words of Amos, who was among the shepherds of Tekoa,
which he saw concerning Israel in the days of King Uzziah of
Judah and in the days of King Jeroboam son of Joash of
Israel, two years before the earthquake.
And he said:
The Lord roars from Zion,
   and utters his voice from Jerusalem;
the pastures of the shepherds wither,
   and the top of Carmel dries up.

Thus says the Lord:
For three transgressions of Damascus,
   and for four, I will not revoke the punishment;
because they have threshed Gilead
   with threshing-sledges of iron.
So I will send a fire on the house of Hazael,
   and it shall devour the strongholds of Ben-hadad.
I will break the gate-bars of Damascus,
   and cut off the inhabitants from the Valley of Aven,
and the one who holds the sceptre from Beth-eden;
   and the people of Aram shall go into exile to Kir,
says the Lord.

Thus says the Lord:
For three transgressions of Gaza,
   and for four, I will not revoke the punishment;
because they carried into exile entire communities,
   to hand them over to Edom.
So I will send a fire on the wall of Gaza,
   fire that shall devour its strongholds.
I will cut off the inhabitants from Ashdod,
   and the one who holds the sceptre from Ashkelon;
I will turn my hand against Ekron,
   and the remnant of the Philistines shall perish,
says the Lord God.

Thus says the Lord:
For three transgressions of Tyre,
   and for four, I will not revoke the punishment;
because they delivered entire communities over to Edom,
   and did not remember the covenant of kinship.
So I will send a fire on the wall of Tyre,
   fire that shall devour its strongholds.

Thus says the Lord:
For three transgressions of Edom,
   and for four, I will not revoke the punishment;
because he pursued his brother with the sword
   and cast off all pity;
he maintained his anger perpetually,
   and kept his wrath for ever.
So I will send a fire on Teman,
   and it shall devour the strongholds of Bozrah.

Thus says the Lord:
For three transgressions of the Ammonites,
   and for four, I will not revoke the punishment;
because they have ripped open pregnant women in Gilead
   in order to enlarge their territory.
So I will kindle a fire against the wall of Rabbah,
   fire that shall devour its strongholds,
with shouting on the day of battle,
   with a storm on the day of the whirlwind;
then their king shall go into exile,
   he and his officials together,
says the Lord.

Thus says the Lord:
For three transgressions of Moab,
   and for four, I will not revoke the punishment;
because he burned to lime
   the bones of the king of Edom.
So I will send a fire on Moab,
   and it shall devour the strongholds of Kerioth,
and Moab shall die amid uproar,
   amid shouting and the sound of the trumpet;
I will cut off the ruler from its midst,
   and will kill all its officials with him,
says the Lord.

HYMN
Words:  Charles Wesley, 1749
Tune: Song 34

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/f/f240.html

Forth in thy Name, O Lord, I go,
my daily labor to pursue;
thee, only thee, resolved to know
in all I think or speak or do.

The task thy wisdom hath assigned,
O let me cheerfully fulfill;
in all my works thy presence find,
and prove thy good and perfect will.

Thee may I set at my right hand,
whose eyes mine inmost substance see,
and labor on at thy command,
and offer all my works to thee.

Give me to bear thy easy yoke,
and every moment watch and pray,
and still to things eternal look,
and hasten to thy glorious day.

For thee delightfully employ
whate'er thy bounteous grace hath given;
and run my course with even joy,
and closely walk with thee to heav'n.

SECOND READING [James 2:14-26]:

What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if you say you have faith but do not have
works? Can faith save you? If a brother or sister is naked and lacks daily food, and one
of you says to them, 'Go in peace; keep warm and eat your fill', and yet you do not
supply their bodily needs, what is the good of that? So faith by itself, if it has no
works, is dead.
But someone will say, 'You have faith and I have works.' Show me your faith without
works, and I by my works will show you my faith. You believe that God is one; you
do well. Even the demons believe and shudder. Do you want to be shown, you
senseless person, that faith without works is barren? Was not our ancestor Abraham
justified by works when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? You see that faith was
active along with his works, and faith was brought to completion by the works. Thus
the scripture was fulfilled that says, 'Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to
him as righteousness', and he was called the friend of God. You see that a person is
justified by works and not by faith alone. Likewise, was not Rahab the prostitute also
justified by works when she welcomed the messengers and sent them out by another
road? For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is also
dead.

In your glory, Lord, protect us by the power of your name,
that we may be one as you are one.

We are in the world but not of it.
Protect us from the evil one.

Give us your word and the full measure of your joy.
Sanctify us by your truth.

May your Spirit unite us in the love and glory of Father and Son.
May we be one that the world may believe.

As you sent your Son into the world
so send us, to make your glory known.

Gracious God,
you have made us fellow citizens with the saints
in the city of eternal light.
In the time of storm, when the foundations shake,
teach us to wait in silence
on your steadfast and transforming love,
made known to us in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Fill our hearts with zeal for your kingdom
and place on our lips the tidings of your peace;