OREMUS: 10 July 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Jul 9 20:47:53 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Blessed are you, merciful God;
in your boundless compassion,
you gave us your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
so that the human race created in your love,
yet fallen through its own pride,
might be restored to your glory
through his suffering and death upon the cross.

Rejoice in the Lord, you righteous;*
 it is good for the just to sing praises.
Praise the Lord with the harp;*
 play to him upon the psaltery and lyre.
Sing for him a new song;*
 sound a fanfare with all your skill upon the trumpet.
For the word of the Lord is right,*
 and all his works are sure.
He loves righteousness and justice;*
 the loving-kindness of the Lord fills the whole earth.
By the word of the Lord were the heavens made,*
 by the breath of his mouth all the heavenly hosts.
He gathers up the waters of the ocean
   as in a water-skin*
 and stores up the depths of the sea.
Let all the earth fear the Lord;*
 let all who dwell in the world stand in awe of him.
For he spoke and it came to pass;*
 he commanded and it stood fast.
The Lord brings the will of the nations to naught;*
 he thwarts the designs of the peoples.
But the Lord's will stands fast for ever,*
 and the designs of his heart from age to age.
Happy is the nation whose God is the Lord!*
 happy the people he has chosen to be his own!
The Lord looks down from heaven,*
 and beholds all the people in the world.
>From where he sits enthroned he turns his gaze*
 on all who dwell on the earth.
He fashions all the hearts of them*
 and understands all their works.
There is no king that can be saved by a mighty army;*
 the strong are not delivered by great strength.nbsp;
The horse is a vain hope for deliverance;*
 for all its strength it cannot save.
Behold, the eye of the Lord
   is upon those who fear him,*
 on those who wait upon his love,
To pluck their lives from death,*
 and to feed them in time of famine.
Our soul waits for the Lord;*
 he is our help and our shield.
Indeed, our heart rejoices in him,*
 for in his holy name we put our trust.
Let your loving-kindness, O Lord, be upon us,*
 as we have put our trust in you.

A Song of Peace (Isaiah 2:3-5)

Come, let us go up to the mountain of God,
to the house of the God of Jacob;

That God may teach us his ways,
and that we may walk in his paths.

For the law shall go out from Zion,
and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem.

God shall judged between the nations,
and shall mediate for many peoples.

They shall beat their swords into ploughshares,
and their spears into pruning hooks.

Nation shall not lift up sword against nation,
neither shall they learn war any more.

O people of Jacob, come:
let us walk in the light of the Lord.

FIRST READING [2 Kings 6:1-7]:

Now the company of prophets said to Elisha, 'As you see,
the place where we live under your charge is too small
for us. Let us go to the Jordan, and let us collect logs
there, one for each of us, and build a place there for us
to live.' He answered, 'Do so.' Then one of them said,
'Please come with your servants.' And he answered, 'I
will.' So he went with them. When they came to the
Jordan, they cut down trees. But as one was felling a
log, his axehead fell into the water; he cried out,
'Alas, master! It was borrowed.' Then the man of God
said, 'Where did it fall?' When he showed him the place,
he cut off a stick, and threw it in there, and made the
iron float. He said, 'Pick it up.' So he reached out his
hand and took it.

HYMN
Words: Godfrey Thring, 1862
Tune: Edina

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/s/s024.html

Savior, blessed Savior,
listen while we sing;
hearts and voices ringing,
praises to our King;
all we have to offer,
all we hope to be,
body, soul, and spirit,
all we yield to thee.

Near, ever nearer,
Christ, we draw to thee,
deep in adoration
bending low the knee;
thou for our redemption
cam'st on earth to die;
thou, that we might follow,
hast gone up on high.

Great and ever greater,
are thy mercies here;
true and everlasting
are the glories there,
where no pain nor sorrow,
toil nor care is known,
where the angel legions
circle round thy throne.

Brighter still and brighter
glows the western sun,
shedding all its gladness
o'er our work that's done;
time will soon be over,
toil and sorrow past,
may we, blessŠd Savior,
find a rest at last.

Onward, ever onward,
journeying o'er the road
worn by saints before us,
journeying on to God;
leaving all behind us,
may we hasten on,
backward never looking
till the prize is won.

Higher, then, and higher
bear the ransomed soul,
earthly toils forgetting,
Savior, to its goal;
where in joys unthought of
saints with angels sing,
never weary, raising,
praises to their King.

SECOND READING [Luke 10:13-16]:

Jesus said, 'Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the deeds of power
done in you had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago,
sitting in sackcloth and ashes. But at the judgement it will be more tolerable for Tyre
and Sidon than for you. And you, Capernaum,
will you be exalted to heaven?
   No, you will be brought down to Hades.
'Whoever listens to you listens to me, and whoever rejects you rejects me, and
whoever rejects me rejects the one who sent me.'

Let us pray for our own needs and for the needs of others,
following the pattern which Jesus gave
when he taught us to pray to God our Father.

Through our love of the countryside,
through our care for animals,
through our respect for property and tools,
Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name.

On our farms and in our homes,
in our colleges and schools,
where machinery is made, and where policy is planned,
Father, your kingdom come.

By our seeking your guidance,
by our keeping your commandments,
by our living true to our consciences,
Father, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.

For the millions who live in poverty and hunger,
for our own needs, and the requirements of our neighbours,
by co-operation, sympathy, and generosity,
Give us today our daily bread.

Because we have broken your commandments,
doing what we ought not to do,
and neglecting what we ought to do,
Forgive us our sins.

If any have injured us by injustice, double dealing or exploitation,
We forgive those who sin against us.

When prosperity lulls us to false security,
or adversity prompts us to despair,
when success makes us boastful,
or failure makes us bitter,
Save us from the time of trial, and deliver us from evil.

In the assurance of faith,
in the confidence of hope,
in the will to serve,
help us to love Christ as Lord,
and our neighbour as ourselves.
For the kingdom, the power,
and the glory are yours now and for ever. Amen.

Holy Spirit, Lord and giver of life, moving force of all things,
root of all creation, purifier of all that lives;
remove from us all that stains our beauty,
wipe away all our sins and anoint all our wounds;
that, awakened by your Spirit,
our lives may shine forth your praise;
now and for ever. Amen.

Fill our hearts with zeal for your kingdom
and place on our lips the tidings of your peace;