OREMUS: 9 July 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Jul 8 22:21:17 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Monday, July 9, 2007

Blessed are you, merciful God;
in your boundless compassion,
you gave us your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
so that the human race created in your love,
yet fallen through its own pride,
might be restored to your glory
through his suffering and death upon the cross.

Give judgement for me, O Lord,
   for I have lived with integrity;*
 I have trusted in the Lord and have not faltered.
Test me, O Lord, and try me;*
 examine my heart and my mind.
For your love is before my eyes;*
 I have walked faithfully with you.
I have not sat with the worthless,*
 nor do I consort with the deceitful.
I have hated the company of evildoers;*
 I will not sit down with the wicked.
I will wash my hands in innocence, O Lord,*
 that I may go in procession round your altar,
Singing aloud a song of thanksgiving*
 and recounting all your wonderful deeds.
Lord, I love the house in which you dwell*
 and the place where your glory abides.
Do not sweep me away with sinners,*
 nor my life with those who thirst for blood,
Whose hands are full of evil plots,*
 and their right hand full of bribes.
As for me, I will live with integrity;*
 redeem me, O Lord, and have pity on me.
My foot stands on level ground;*
 in the full assembly I will bless the Lord.

Psalm 29

Ascribe to the Lord, you gods,*
 ascribe to the Lord glory and strength.
Ascribe to the Lord the glory due to his name;*
 worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness.
The voice of the Lord is upon the waters;
   the God of glory thunders;*
 the Lord is upon the mighty waters.
The voice of the Lord is a powerful voice;*
 the voice of the Lord is a voice of splendour.
The voice of the Lord breaks the cedar trees;*
 the Lord breaks the cedars of Lebanon;
He makes Lebanon skip like a calf,*
 and Mount Hermon like a young wild ox.
The voice of the Lord splits the flames of fire;
   the voice of the Lord shakes the wilderness;*
 the Lord shakes the wilderness of Kadesh.
The voice of the Lord makes the oak trees writhe*
 and strips the forests bare.
And in the temple of the Lord*
 all are crying, 'Glory!'
The Lord sits enthroned above the flood;*
 the Lord sits enthroned as king for evermore.
The Lord shall give strength to his people;*
 the Lord shall give his people the blessing of peace.

A Song of God's Grace (Ephesians 1:3-10)

Blessed are you,
the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
for you have blest us in Christ Jesus
with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places.

You chose us to be yours in Christ
before the foundation of the world,
that we should be holy and blameless before you.

In love you destined us for adoption as your children,
through Jesus Christ,
according to the purpose of your will,

To the praise of your glorious grace,
which you freely bestowed on us in the Beloved.

In you, we have redemption
through the blood of Christ,
the forgiveness of our sins,

According to the riches of your grace,
which you have lavished upon us.

You have made known to us, in all wisdom and insight,
the mystery of your will,

According to your purpose
which you set forth in Christ,
as a plan for the fullness of time,

To unite all things in Christ,
things in heaven and things on earth.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [2 Kings 5:19b-27]:

But when Naaman had gone from him a short distance, Gehazi, the servant of Elisha
the man of God, thought, 'My master has let that Aramean Naaman off too lightly by
not accepting from him what he offered. As the Lord lives, I will run after him and get
something out of him.' So Gehazi went after Naaman. When Naaman saw someone
running after him, he jumped down from the chariot to meet him and said, 'Is
everything all right?' He replied, 'Yes, but my master has sent me to say, "Two
members of a company of prophets have just come to me from the hill country of
Ephraim; please give them a talent of silver and two changes of clothing." ' Naaman
said, 'Please accept two talents.' He urged him, and tied up two talents of silver in two
bags, with two changes of clothing, and gave them to two of his servants, who carried
them in front of Gehazi. When he came to the citadel, he took the bags from them, and
stored them inside; he dismissed the men, and they left.
He went in and stood before his master; and Elisha said to him, 'Where have you been,
Gehazi?' He answered, 'Your servant has not gone anywhere at all.' But he said to
him, 'Did I not go with you in spirit when someone left his chariot to meet you? Is this
a time to accept money and to accept clothing, olive orchards and vineyards, sheep
and oxen, and male and female slaves? Therefore the leprosy of Naaman shall cling to
you, and to your descendants for ever.' So he left his presence leprous, as white as
snow.

HYMN
Words: Godfrey Thring, 1866
Tune: Heiliger Geist

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h/h162.html

Heal me, O my Savior, heal;
heal me, as I suppliant kneel;
heal me and my pardon seal.

Fresh the wounds that sin hath made;
hear the prayers I oft have prayed,
and in mercy send me aid.

Helpless, none can help me now;
cheerless, none can cheer but thou;
suppliant, Lord, to thee I bow.

Thou the true Physician art;
thou, O Christ, canst health impart,
binding up the bleeding heart.

Other comforters are gone;
thou canst heal and thou alone,
thou for all my sin atone.

Heal me then, my Savior, heal;
heal me, as I suppliant kneel;
to thy mercy I appeal.

SECOND READING [Acts 19:28-41]:

When they heard this, they were enraged and shouted, 'Great is Artemis of the
Ephesians!' The city was filled with the confusion; and people rushed together to the
theatre, dragging with them Gaius and Aristarchus, Macedonians who were Paul's
travelling-companions. Paul wished to go into the crowd, but the disciples would not
let him; even some officials of the province of Asia, who were friendly to him, sent him
a message urging him not to venture into the theatre. Meanwhile, some were shouting
one thing, some another; for the assembly was in confusion, and most of them did not
know why they had come together. Some of the crowd gave instructions to Alexander,
whom the Jews had pushed forward. And Alexander motioned for silence and tried to
make a defence before the people. But when they recognized that he was a Jew, for
about two hours all of them shouted in unison, 'Great is Artemis of the Ephesians!'
But when the town clerk had quietened the crowd, he said, 'Citizens of Ephesus, who
is there that does not know that the city of the Ephesians is the temple-keeper of the
great Artemis and of the statue that fell from heaven? Since these things cannot be
denied, you ought to be quiet and do nothing rash. You have brought these men here
who are neither temple-robbers nor blasphemers of our goddess. If therefore
Demetrius and the artisans with him have a complaint against anyone, the courts are
open, and there are proconsuls; let them bring charges there against one another. If
there is anything further you want to know, it must be settled in the regular assembly.
For we are in danger of being charged with rioting today, since there is no cause that
we can give to justify this commotion.' When he had said this, he dismissed the
assembly.

High and holy God,
robed in majesty,
Lord of heaven and earth,
we pray that you bring justice, faith
and salvation to all peoples.
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

You chose us in Christ to be your people
and to be the temple of your Holy Spirit;
we pray that you will fill your Church with vision and hope.
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Your Spirit enables us to cry, "Abba! Father!",
affirms that we are fellow-heirs with Christ
and pleads for us in our weakness;
we pray for all who are in need or distress.
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

In the baptism and birth of Jesus,
you have opened heaven to us
and enabled us to share in your glory:
the joy of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit
from before the world was made.
May your Church, living and departed,
come to a joyful resurrection in your city of light.
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Teach us, O Lord,
to serve you with patience,
to follow you with simplicity,
to reverence you with fear
and to love you with our whole heart;
that serving, following, reverencing and loving
we may behold you in the beauty of holiness
and rest in the presence of your glory,
now and forever. Amen.

Fill our hearts with zeal for your kingdom
and place on our lips the tidings of your peace;