OREMUS: 8 July 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Jul 7 19:58:11 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Sunday, July 8, 2007
The Sixth Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, merciful God;
in your boundless compassion,
you gave us your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
so that the human race created in your love,
yet fallen through its own pride,
might be restored to your glory
through his suffering and death upon the cross.

Be joyful in God, all you lands;*
 sing the glory of his name;
   sing the glory of his praise.
Say to God, 'How awesome are your deeds!*
 because of your great strength
   your enemies cringe before you.
'All the earth bows down before you,*
 sings to you, sings out your name.'
Come now and see the works of God,*
 how wonderful he is in his doing towards all people.
He turned the sea into dry land,
   so that they went through the water on foot,*
 and there we rejoiced in him.
In his might he rules for ever;
   his eyes keep watch over the nations;*
 let no rebel rise up against him.
Bless our God, you peoples;*
 make the voice of his praise to be heard;
Who holds our souls in life,*
 and will not allow our feet to slip.
For you, O God, have proved us;*
 you have tried us just as silver is tried.
You brought us into the snare;*
 you laid heavy burdens upon our backs.
You let enemies ride over our heads;
   we went through fire and water;*
 but you brought us out into a place of refreshment.
I will enter your house with burnt-offerings
   and will pay you my vows,*
 which I promised with my lips
   and spoke with my mouth when I was in trouble.
I will offer you sacrifices of fat beasts
   with the smoke of rams;*
 I will give you oxen and goats.
Come and listen, all you who fear God,*
 and I will tell you what he has done for me.
I called out to him with my mouth,*
 and his praise was on my tongue.
If I had found evil in my heart,*
 the Lord would not have heard me;
But in truth God has heard me;*
 he has attended to the voice of my prayer.
Blessed be God, who has not rejected my prayer,*
 nor withheld his love from me.

A Song of David (1 Chronicles 29:10b-13,14b)

Blessed are you, God of Israel, for ever and ever,
for yours is the greatness, the power,
the glory, the splendour and the majesty.

Everything in heaven and on earth is yours;
yours is the kingdom, O Lord
and you are exalted as head over all.

Riches and honour come from you
and you rule over all.

In your hand are power and might;
yours it is to give power and strength to all.

And now we give you thanks, our God,
and praise your glorious name.

For all things come from you,
and of your own have we given you.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [2 Kings 5:15-19a]:

Then Naaman returned to Elisha, the man of God, he and
all his company; he came and stood before him and said,
'Now I know that there is no God in all the earth except
in Israel; please accept a present from your servant.'
But he said, 'As the Lord lives, whom I serve, I will
accept nothing!' He urged him to accept, but he refused.
Then Naaman said, 'If not, please let two mule-loads of
earth be given to your servant; for your servant will no
longer offer burnt-offering or sacrifice to any god
except the Lord. But may the Lord pardon your servant on
one count: when my master goes into the house of Rimmon
to worship there, leaning on my arm, and I bow down in
the house of Rimmon, when I do bow down in the house of
Rimmon, may the Lord pardon your servant on this one
count.' He said to him, 'Go in peace.'

HYMN
Words: William Henry Burleigh, 1868
Tune: Song 22

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l019.html

Lead us, O Father, in the paths of peace;
without thy guiding hand we go astray,
and doubts appall, and sorrows still increase;
lead us through Christ, the true and living Way.

Lead us, O Father, in the paths of truth;
unhelped by thee, in error's maze we grope,
while passion strains, and folly dims our youth,
and age comes on, uncheered by faith and hope.

Lead us, O Father, in the paths of right;
blindly we stumble when we walk alone,
involved in shadows of a darksome night;
only with thee we journey safely on.

Lead us, O Father, to thy heavenly rest,
however rough and steep the pathway be;
through joy or sorrow, as thou deemest best,
until our lives are perfected in thee.

SECOND READING [Acts 19:21-27]:

Now after these things had been accomplished, Paul resolved in the Spirit to go
through Macedonia and Achaia, and then to go on to Jerusalem. He said, 'After I have
gone there, I must also see Rome.' So he sent two of his helpers, Timothy and
Erastus, to Macedonia, while he himself stayed for some time longer in Asia.
About that time no little disturbance broke out concerning the Way. A man named
Demetrius, a silversmith who made silver shrines of Artemis, brought no little business
to the artisans. These he gathered together, with the workers of the same trade, and
said, 'Men, you know that we get our wealth from this business. You also see and hear
that not only in Ephesus but in almost the whole of Asia this Paul has persuaded and
drawn away a considerable number of people by saying that gods made with hands are
not gods. And there is danger not only that this trade of ours may come into disrepute
but also that the temple of the great goddess Artemis will be scorned, and she will be
deprived of her majesty that brought all Asia and the world to worship her.'

Let us pray for the whole people of God
and for all people according to their needs,
saying: "Hear our prayer."

For the whole church, that, true to its calling,
it may witness to the radical and boundless love of God
and proclaim God's love in word and deed.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For all the people of our church, for our bishops,
for all pastors and teachers, that strengthened by Word and Sacrament,
our witness in this land may be full of faith and love.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For all the baptized, that we may embrace our lives
and the lives of others with courage and compassion,
unafraid of joy and pain, sickness and health.
May our care be a sign of God's care.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For those who govern the nations of the world,
that they may use their authority in wisdom, kindness and peacefulness.
Awaken in all who govern a thirst for justice
that embodies your care for the human community.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For all those who suffer poverty, injustice or oppression,
that you would rescue them when they cry out.
Open the ears of our hearts to hear,
and quicken in us the fire to respond in love.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For all who suffer illness, distress or grief,
especially those we name silently or aloud ... ,
that you would grant them comfort, healing and release.
Awaken in us boundless compassion
and use us as agents of lovingkindness.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For the saints of every time and generation,
that you would keep us all in the bonds of love
and bring us to the fullness of your reign.
O God, of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

O God of Love, hear the prayers of your people.
Enliven us by your Spirit to live into the fullness of your reign.
We pray through Jesus, our life and our hope. Amen.

God of glory, Father of love,
peace comes from you alone:
Send us as peacemakers and witnesses to your kingdom,
and fill our hearts with joy in your promises of salvation;
through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.

Fill our hearts with zeal for your kingdom
and place on our lips the tidings of your peace;