OREMUS: 7 July 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Jul 6 18:07:20 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Saturday, July 7, 2007

Blessed are you, merciful God;
in your boundless compassion,
you gave us your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
so that the human race created in your love,
yet fallen through its own pride,
might be restored to your glory
through his suffering and death upon the cross.

You are to be praised, O God, in Zion;*
 to you shall vows be performed in Jerusalem.
To you that hear prayer shall all flesh come,*
 because of their transgressions.
Our sins are stronger than we are,*
 but you will blot them out.
Happy are they whom you choose
   and draw to your courts to dwell there!*
 they will be satisfied by the beauty of your house,
   by the holiness of your temple.
Awesome things will you show us in your righteousness,
   O God of our salvation,*
 O Hope of all the ends of the earth
   and of the seas that are far away.
You make fast the mountains by your power;*
 they are girded about with might.
You still the roaring of the seas,*
 the roaring of their waves,
   and the clamour of the peoples.
Those who dwell at the ends of the earth
   will tremble at your marvellous signs;*
 you make the dawn and the dusk to sing for joy.
You visit the earth and water it abundantly;
   you make it very plenteous;*
 the river of God is full of water.
You prepare the grain,*
 for so you provide for the earth.
You drench the furrows and smooth out the ridges;*
 with heavy rain you soften the ground
   and bless its increase.
You crown the year with your goodness,*
 and your paths overflow with plenty.
May the fields of the wilderness be rich for grazing,*
 and the hills be clothed with joy.
May the meadows cover themselves with flocks
   and the valleys cloak themselves with grain;*
 let them shout for joy and sing.

Psalm 70

Be pleased, O God, to deliver me;*
 O Lord, make haste to help me.
Let those who seek my life
   be ashamed and altogether dismayed;*
 let those who take pleasure in my misfortune
   draw back and be disgraced.
Let those who say to me 'Aha!'
   and gloat over me turn back,*
 because they are ashamed.
Let all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you;*
 let those who love your salvation say for ever,
   'Great is the Lord!'
But as for me, I am poor and needy;*
 come to me speedily, O God.
You are my helper and my deliverer;*
 O Lord, do not tarry.

A Song of the Blessed (Matthew 5:3-10)
Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are those who mourn,
for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek,
for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are those who hunger
and thirst after righteousness,
for they shall be satisfied.

Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called children of God.

Blessed are those who suffer persecution
for righteousness' sake,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [2 Kings 4:18-37]:

When the child was older, he went out one day to his
father among the reapers. He complained to his father,
'Oh, my head, my head!' The father said to his servant,
'Carry him to his mother.' He carried him and brought him
to his mother; the child sat on her lap until noon, and
he died. She went up and laid him on the bed of the man
of God, closed the door on him, and left. Then she called
to her husband, and said, 'Send me one of the servants
and one of the donkeys, so that I may quickly go to the
man of God and come back again.' He said, 'Why go to him
today? It is neither new moon nor sabbath.' She said, 'It
will be all right.' Then she saddled the donkey and said
to her servant, 'Urge the animal on; do not hold back for
me unless I tell you.' So she set out, and came to the
man of God at Mount Carmel.
When the man of God saw her coming, he said to Gehazi his
servant, 'Look, there is the Shunammite woman; run at
once to meet her, and say to her, Are you all right? Is
your husband all right? Is the child all right?' She
answered, 'It is all right.' When she came to the man of
God at the mountain, she caught hold of his feet. Gehazi
approached to push her away. But the man of God said,
'Let her alone, for she is in bitter distress; the Lord
has hidden it from me and has not told me.' Then she
said, 'Did I ask my lord for a son? Did I not say, Do not
mislead me?' He said to Gehazi, 'Gird up your loins, and
take my staff in your hand, and go. If you meet anyone,
give no greeting, and if anyone greets you, do not
answer; and lay my staff on the face of the child.' Then
the mother of the child said, 'As the Lord lives, and as
you yourself live, I will not leave without you.' So he
rose up and followed her. Gehazi went on ahead and laid
the staff on the face of the child, but there was no
sound or sign of life. He came back to meet him and told
him, 'The child has not awakened.'
When Elisha came into the house, he saw the child lying
dead on his bed. So he went in and closed the door on the
two of them, and prayed to the Lord. Then he got up on
the bed and lay upon the child, putting his mouth upon
his mouth, his eyes upon his eyes, and his hands upon his
hands; and while he lay bent over him, the flesh of the
child became warm. He got down, walked once to and fro in
the room, then got up again and bent over him; the child
sneezed seven times, and the child opened his eyes.
Elisha summoned Gehazi and said, 'Call the Shunammite
woman.' So he called her. When she came to him, he said,
'Take your son.' She came and fell at his feet, bowing to
the ground; then she took her son and left.

HYMN
Words: Charles Wesley (1707-1788)
Tune: Kilmarnock, St. Magnus

All praise to our redeeming Lord,
Who joins us by his grace,
And bids us, each to each restored,
Together seek his face.

He bids us build each other up;
And, gathered into one,
To our high calling's glorious hope
We hand in hand go on.

The gift which he on one bestows,
We all delight to prove;
The grace through every vessel flows,
In purest streams of love.

Ev'n now we think and speak the same,
And cordially agree;
Concentred all, through Jesu's name,
In perfect harmony.

We all partake the joy of one,
The common peace we feel,
A peace to sensual minds unknown,
A joy unspeakable.

And if our fellowship below
In Jesus be so sweet,
What heights of rapture shall we know
When round his throne we meet!

SECOND READING [Luke 9:1-6]:

Then Jesus called the twelve together and gave them power and authority over all
demons and to cure diseases, and he sent them out to proclaim the kingdom of God and
to heal. He said to them, 'Take nothing for your journey, no staff, nor bag, nor bread,
nor money not even an extra tunic. Whatever house you enter, stay there, and leave
from there. Wherever they do not welcome you, as you are leaving that town shake the
dust off your feet as a testimony against them.' They departed and went through the
villages, bringing the good news and curing diseases everywhere.

God of the Covenant,
we are your people through your grace in baptism.

Added one by one to your Church,
you bind us together in repentance and true profession of faith:
We are reborn by water and the Spirit.

Accustomed to preserving our selfish autonomy,
you call us to a life of mutual oversight and shared mission.
We are reborn by water and the Spirit.

Teach us to see each other as sisters and brothers
who share a common birth and a family table:
We are reborn by water and the Spirit.

Show us ways to support one another
that our faith is increased, our hope confirmed
and our love perfected.
We are reborn by water and the Spirit.

Offer through your Church hospitality
to those seeking Christ and hope.
We are reborn by water and the Spirit.

O God,
you reveal yourself to the humble in the lowliest of disguises,
yet the proud fail to find you even in your greatest glory:
Help us to perceive you in this ordinary moment,
that with faith piercing the superficial experience of this world,
we may see you accomplishing many great things around us.
We ask this through Jesus Christ, our Lord born in a barn. Amen.

Fill our hearts with zeal for your kingdom
and place on our lips the tidings of your peace;